Local time: 18:52
German to English
+ ...
Your Nov 14, 2015

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

Maybe it's just me but I do find it odd that infant schools in the UK teach:

I'd like
You're ... and similar.

I see nothing wrong with those 2 examples provided, of course, that they're [sic!] explained: "I'd" meaning "I should" or "I would", "you're" meaning "you are", and "your" meaning "belonging to you".

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Both correct Nov 14, 2015

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

I'd've

Daring - but unexceptionable !

I'd like
You're ... and similar.

I'd like to point out that you're mistaken in your apparent assumption that there's something wrong with "I'd like, you're ... and similar". They're absolutely correct and I'm glad they're being taught in schools.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
I know they are correct, but Nov 15, 2015

I'd like
You're ... and similar.

[/quote]

I'd like to point out that you're mistaken in your apparent assumption that there's something wrong with "I'd like, you're ... and similar". They're absolutely correct and I'm glad they're being taught in schools. [/quote]

teaching 'you're' before they learn 'you are' - I am talking about 5 year olds!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ahem Nov 15, 2015

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

Shouldn't they be learning to spell the way they talk ? I don't get it. I remember being taught about apostrophes when I was at school (and quite possibly when I was 5). It wasn't difficult.

[Edited at 2015-11-15 16:13 GMT]

Gabriele Demuth
United Kingdom
English to German
Just wanted to hear the opinion of an English native linguist ... Nov 15, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

Shouldn't they be learning to spell the way they talk ? I don't get it. I remember being taught about apostrophes when I was at school (and quite possibly when I was 5). It wasn't difficult.

[Edited at 2015-11-15 16:13 GMT]

I learned 'don't' at school (in Germany) which is commonly used in written language, I don't think 'you're' is used much in written language, except in my daughter's school readers - and I don't think I speak like that either

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Usage Nov 15, 2015

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

.....I don't think 'you're' is used much in written language, except in my daughter's school readers - and I don't think I speak like that either

"You're" is everyday English and is used every day, continuously. Perhaps it's so common that you just don't notice it. And you couldn't read a novel without coming across "you're" all the time. I'm glad your daughter is learning good English. You're fortunate that she's using good textbooks.

[Edited at 2015-11-15 17:02 GMT]

Gabriele Demuth
United Kingdom
English to German
Novels - yes, you are right! Nov 15, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

.....I don't think 'you're' is used much in written language, except in my daughter's school readers - and I don't think I speak like that either

"You're" is everyday English and is used every day, continuously. Perhaps it's so common that you just don't notice it. And you couldn't read a novel without coming across "you're" all the time. I'm glad your daughter is learning good English. You're fortunate that she's using good textbooks.

[Edited at 2015-11-15 17:02 GMT]

True, you see it a lot in novels ...

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:52
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Learning to use "you're" (correctly) is one thing... Nov 15, 2015

...but one thing I really object to is German schools teaching children to refer to themselves and their friends as "kids". Maybe is is deemed easier than teaching them the correct word with the nasty, irregular plural form.

The ubiquitous posters fastened to trees and lamp posts here advertising "Life music" also start me twitching every time I see them. Which is often.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Sarah Nov 15, 2015

Sarah Lewis-Morgan wrote:

The ubiquitous posters fastened to trees and lamp posts here advertising "Life music" also start me twitching every time I see them. Which is often.

be thankful, if you're twitching it's because you're alife!

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Children Nov 15, 2015

...but one thing I really object to is German schools teaching children to refer to themselves and their friends as "kids". Maybe is is deemed easier than teaching them the correct word with the nasty, irregular plural form.
I assume you're referring to the fact that the correct spelling of the noun meaning "young human" is child and its plural is children.
There is an English word "kid" and it means "young goat or deer".
The German "Kind" (=child) has a not very common type of plural "Kinder" (children) - perhaps the plurals Kinder and children are related historically since they both contain "r".
"Kid" and "kids" may have come into use because they are short; similar, I think, to the use (in newspapers) of "slam" to mean "criticise". The difference in length is probably significant when used in headlines.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Irony Nov 16, 2015

Oliver Walter wrote:

I assume you're referring to the fact that the correct spelling of the noun meaning "young human" is child and its plural is children.
The German "Kind" (=child) has a not very common type of plural "Kinder" (children) - perhaps the plurals Kinder and children are related historically since they both contain "r".
"Kid" and "kids" may have come into use because they are short; similar, I think, to the use (in newspapers) of "slam" to mean "criticise". The difference in length is probably significant when used in headlines.

The irony is that the American English "kids" probably comes from "Kinder" !

I hate "kids" too (but I like children).

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Albuquerque Nov 16, 2015

"Albuquerque" is the officially accepted spelling of the largest city in New Mexico, U.S.A., but it is a misspelling of the Duque de Alburquerque, after whom it was supposedly named. But it would take an act of Congress to add the "r" back in there, I've read.

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Too few people know that Nov 17, 2015

Oliver Walter wrote:

Children here are not taught that "kid" means anything other than child. Just as the majority of people have no idea that there is another meaning for the word "gay".

I agree with the short and easy theory and you and Tom are probably correct about the shared roots.

Text Style - true, I hadn't thought of it like that! (I haven't learned how to link more than one quote, sorry.)

[Edited at 2015-11-17 09:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-17 09:31 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Missspellings abound - in English

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »