Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 20:14
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 16, 2015

Please use a translation that will need adaptation to sound natural in the target throughout the whole text.

I guess this means I can deliver a translation that sounds unnatural throughout the whole text. I might have to ask the help of Google translate to accomplish that...

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:14
Danish to English
+ ...
Consider not avoiding to not looking into whether not to ask the client for clarification Jul 16, 2015

I just finished a translation for a technical device for swimming pools. The original manual said:

"Avoid any incest from entering the control box, it may damage the electrical component inside."

I don't know what they do with the box at the factory, and I'm not sure I want to know.

It also said:

"Chlorine ... can inhabit the growth of bacteria."

So now we know more about bacteria's habitat.

"Recommended pool salt leve
... See more
I just finished a translation for a technical device for swimming pools. The original manual said:

"Avoid any incest from entering the control box, it may damage the electrical component inside."

I don't know what they do with the box at the factory, and I'm not sure I want to know.

It also said:

"Chlorine ... can inhabit the growth of bacteria."

So now we know more about bacteria's habitat.

"Recommended pool salt lever: 4000PPM or above".

Does one have to pulverise the lever in order to count the parts?

"pH valve too high".

If the lever was intended to lower the pH valve, then the task could become sour once the lever is pulverised.
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
'No' missing? Jul 16, 2015

Could be a simple typo, couldn't it?

Please use a translation that will need no adaptation to sound natural in the target throughout the whole text.

[Edited at 2015-07-16 13:06 GMT]

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
"simple" typo Jul 16, 2015

That still doesn't explain the nonsensical "use a translation", but it's funny how adding one small, plausible correction can make (accurate or inaccurate) sense out of what looked like complete gibberish to me.

Hats off to all those poor souls who have to translate from Enlgsih into other languages. I wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning.

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Whole text Jul 16, 2015

I also don't understand the "throughout the whole text" part. Why would I use the unnaturally sounding translation only for half of the text? Running out of awkward formulations?

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity Jul 16, 2015

Replace 'stupidity' with 'careless wording' in this case.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Funny! Jul 16, 2015

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

Please use a translation that will need adaptation to sound natural in the target throughout the whole text.

I guess this means I can deliver a translation that sounds unnatural throughout the whole text. I might have to ask the help of Google translate to accomplish that...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interesting instruction from one of my clients

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »