Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:21
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
You think that's bad? Mar 14, 2005

danya wrote:

my students at the Uni screamed of laughter and refused to read aloud O'Henry's story. One of the characters was called Con O'Lantry.
The first language the girls studied was French, and they read the name as {Kong}. Afterwards they told me it means "male member" in French. It made my day
But then I asked them, what they would think of King Kong then. It made theirs.

PS how do they say in the US, for example, "Dick Chaney" and not laugh?
I once bought a condo from a real estate agent whose name was Dick Link.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
More Mishaps Apr 5, 2005

Mishaps
From EE Times, October 8, 1996. In case you were wondering if you were the only ones having trouble coming up with a suitable product name, consider these ill-fated foreign products whose names didn't make it through the translation quite right (compiled by Charles Brymer of Interbrand Corporation):

Ass Glue Blood tonic from donkey parts; China
Colon Plus Liquid detergent; Spain
Fockink Liqueur; the Netherlands
Green Piles Lawn fertiliser; Japan <
... See more
Mishaps
From EE Times, October 8, 1996. In case you were wondering if you were the only ones having trouble coming up with a suitable product name, consider these ill-fated foreign products whose names didn't make it through the translation quite right (compiled by Charles Brymer of Interbrand Corporation):

Ass Glue Blood tonic from donkey parts; China
Colon Plus Liquid detergent; Spain
Fockink Liqueur; the Netherlands
Green Piles Lawn fertiliser; Japan
Homo Sausage Beef jerky; Japan
Hornyphon Video recorder; Austria
Krapp Toilet paper; Sweden
Last Climax Paper tissues; Japan
Mucos Soft drink; Japan
Pansy Men's underwear; China
Pipi Orangeade; Yugoslavia
Plopp Chocolate bar; Sweden
Polio Detergent; Czechoslovakia
Pshitt Soft drink; France
Shitto Hot spiced pepper sauce; Ghana
Skinababe Baby cleanser; Japan
Superglans Car wax; the Netherlands
Zit Lemon-lime soft drink; Greece

In many countries, Microsoft has kept the original name of the company, but in China they decided to translate it. Unfortunately, the translation was direct instead of figurative, and came out as "small and flaccid." Obviously, they decided to not go with that name.
Collapse

MarianaT
MarianaT
English to Spanish
Back from Buenos Aires May 18, 2005

I just came back from Buenos Aires.

One restaurant offered "revolting eggs" (meaning "huevos revueltos/scrambled eggs").

There was a line of children's clothing called "Mr Cock" and a store selling guns and ammo called "My Friends".

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
concierge May 19, 2005

among the wrong uses of French words in English, I find very funny the way elegant companies catering to the rich create a new class of services/costumers, the "concierge" category...with all due respect to this profession, a French ambitious nouveau riche could be appalled if told he achieved the "concierge" status

Anne-Carine Zimmer
Anne-Carine Zimmer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
aus Haftungsgründen Mar 27, 2016

Just came across this one in a legal text:

"For adhesion reasons"

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:51
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Obscene car Mar 28, 2016

This must be one of the longest living threads of this site.

An expensive car that used to be marketed in India had the brand name Laura. In Hindi, the "r" often gets pronounced as "d", making this name Lauda for many Hindi-speakers.

Lauda in Hindi means something like dick.

You can still see cars carrying this name on the Indian streets, although its production has now stopped and newer, and more sensibly named, models have taken its place.

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
Ebano Cafe Mar 28, 2016

As seen in Barcelona a few years back. Apparently, it is still in business: http://ajuntament.barcelona.cat/eixample/ca/detall/ebano-cafe-bar-lounge-amp-cocktails_99400197039.html

I have no idea what the name actually means in Spanish, but it has a certain unmistakable flair for a Russian speaker - enough of it anyway not
... See more
As seen in Barcelona a few years back. Apparently, it is still in business: http://ajuntament.barcelona.cat/eixample/ca/detall/ebano-cafe-bar-lounge-amp-cocktails_99400197039.html

I have no idea what the name actually means in Spanish, but it has a certain unmistakable flair for a Russian speaker - enough of it anyway not to want to eat there.
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:21
English to Russian
+ ...
The smile of the is more expensive than each of you Mar 29, 2016

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12512761_1148501551847600_9114415791224100576_n.png?oh=539587ca30581451858097ac17171002&oe=5784CE7E

A_Lilie
A_Lilie
Germany
Local time: 11:21
Japanese to German
+ ...
My favorites Jun 25, 2019

I know this thread is really old, but I just discovered it during my lunch break and honestly had a blast, so I want to add some of my favorites, too.

When I was in Tokyo, I saw a shop called "E hyphen world". Apparenty some real label, but still sounds like some mistranslation to me

A kind of electrolyte water in Japan called Pocari Sweat, which is funny in and of itself, has a subbrand for animals called
... See more
I know this thread is really old, but I just discovered it during my lunch break and honestly had a blast, so I want to add some of my favorites, too.

When I was in Tokyo, I saw a shop called "E hyphen world". Apparenty some real label, but still sounds like some mistranslation to me

A kind of electrolyte water in Japan called Pocari Sweat, which is funny in and of itself, has a subbrand for animals called "Pet Sweat", sold in 500 ml bottles like any other drink.

And one common coffe creamer over there is called "Creap", which always made me think of Radiohead

Last one is a proof reading project I worked on a few weeks ago, in which the translator meant to write "Mitstreiter" (in that case allies), but wrote "Mistreiter" (manure riders). Definitely made work easier that day, reading "We need more manure riders!" a few times
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mis-translations and cross-cultural howlers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »