Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
a different issue here Nov 26, 2009

Hi Liz,

Thank you for the article. But no, google has no way to collect your translation when using Google Translate alone. When you use GT4T, you only submit the source text selected by you by hitting the shortcut and then get translation from Google. You don't submit your translation.

What the article is talking about is a different service offered by Google: Google Translate Tool Kit, an on line translation memory system backed by its Google Translate MT. Here is th
... See more
Hi Liz,

Thank you for the article. But no, google has no way to collect your translation when using Google Translate alone. When you use GT4T, you only submit the source text selected by you by hitting the shortcut and then get translation from Google. You don't submit your translation.

What the article is talking about is a different service offered by Google: Google Translate Tool Kit, an on line translation memory system backed by its Google Translate MT. Here is the link:

http://translate.google.com/toolkit/list?hl=en#translations/active

I have tries this Google translate Toolkit. You upload your documents and then the documents are aligned like other TM tools like Wordfast pro or SDLX. Then you translate online, you can utilize the Google translate MT. Of course by using this Google Translate Toolkit, you also submitted your own translation to Google as you are working on their online TM system. I am not sure if google will use this to better its MT though.

By using GT4T, we only use the MT, not it online TM. You will never submit your own translation.
Collapse

Lizette Britz
Lizette Britz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:15
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dallas! Nov 26, 2009

Just out of curiosity is this same TM that Google Translate Tool Kit collects, the one that Google Translate uses to translate? If so, I guess we are in a way benefiting from all those online translations no?

Liz

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
not sure Nov 26, 2009

If google uses it's translator toolkit product to better its MT, there can be very serious violation of confidentiality. I am not at all sure if google does that or not.

Google Translate, the machine translation, is based on a statistical analysis of all public texts on the internet. The foundation of it is the equivalent textual materials of United Nations. As the whole internet can be regarded corpus and many articles about the same story are in many different languages, so the i
... See more
If google uses it's translator toolkit product to better its MT, there can be very serious violation of confidentiality. I am not at all sure if google does that or not.

Google Translate, the machine translation, is based on a statistical analysis of all public texts on the internet. The foundation of it is the equivalent textual materials of United Nations. As the whole internet can be regarded corpus and many articles about the same story are in many different languages, so the internet itself is like the a huge TM. Logically Google should only use public materials to as TM to better its MT.
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
bug solved Dec 12, 2009

lizette britz wrote:

I am trying google translate in word. I found one tiny problem. I highlight a sentence I want google to translate and press ctrl+j. The Spanish translation appears. Then I go to the next sentence and do the same process, but instead of the new translation appearing, the previous translation shows up. This happen also on Trados, when I was trying it out. I have Vista.

I have to say that for simple texts it saves time, and also when you get stuck trying to find a translation. It gives you a twist that you might not have thought about.

Liz

Hi Liz,

This bug is now gone. Please download version 2.76

Dallas

Mahmoud Akbari
Mahmoud Akbari  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:15
Member (2010)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Client for Google Translate Apr 4, 2010

I just saw the add on Proz website and I though you might like to know about another free tool for GT. Here is the link to the website:

http://translateclient.com/

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:15
Spanish
+ ...
Confidentiality issues and professional translators Apr 4, 2010

Dallas Cao Says

When you use GT4T, you only submit the source text selected by you by hitting the shortcut and then get translation from Google. You don't submit your translation.
--------------------

Dallas is right to be cautious. I don't know about now, but the last time I checked, the Google Translation Toolkit for translators uses the translation data (i.e. the original and/or the translation text) to improve their MT, that is, the text is submitted to Google. Even in Studio, before using Google Translate, there's a prompt that states that the information is going to be sent to the Google servers.

Our clients rely on professional translators for a professional service, it is our duty to protect their privacy. Unless, I'm 100% sure that Google won't have access to my client's texts, I'm not using Google's MT; saying I didn't know is not an excuse.

[Edited at 2010-04-04 21:49 GMT]

Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Local time: 09:15
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
GT4T for Word 2007 Apr 5, 2010

I downloaded this tool on my desktop (Word 2003). I was very sceptical of machine translation, but I find it really useful. For most texts it increased both the speed and quality of my work.

However, I can't seem to get it to work on my laptop (Word 2007). Is there an installation guide? Or something I should know about installation for Word 2007 that differs from installation with Word 2003?

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
check if the add-in is active Apr 6, 2010

Kennan wrote:

I downloaded this tool on my desktop (Word 2003). I was very sceptical of machine translation, but I find it really useful. For most texts it increased both the speed and quality of my work.

However, I can't seem to get it to work on my laptop (Word 2007). Is there an installation guide? Or something I should know about installation for Word 2007 that differs from installation with Word 2003?

Hi Diarmuid,

Please follow the descriptions of this link to check out if the add-in of GT4word.dot is activated.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA100341271033.aspx

Alternatively you may download the pro version. It works anywhere you can type text, including word 2007.

I will get a machine installed with word 2007 and test my add-in and then give you a complete solution.

Dallas

[修改时间: 2010-04-06 05:02 GMT]

Kirti Vashee
Kirti Vashee  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:15
GTT Terms of Service Apr 17, 2010

The reason Google offers many services for "free" is that they earn the right to use stuff you createwhen you the use the "free" service that benefits Google.

In most cases this is the right to show you an ad that is related to the subject or matter that you are looking at. I believe 98% of Google's billions of dollars of revenue comes from this. Every time you touch the cloud there is some level of exposure of your material to Google. In fact Google claims the right to keep this ar
... See more
The reason Google offers many services for "free" is that they earn the right to use stuff you createwhen you the use the "free" service that benefits Google.

In most cases this is the right to show you an ad that is related to the subject or matter that you are looking at. I believe 98% of Google's billions of dollars of revenue comes from this. Every time you touch the cloud there is some level of exposure of your material to Google. In fact Google claims the right to keep this around for 18 months - this includes your search history so user be wary.

The TOS on the GTT says:

By submitting your content through the Service, you grant Google the permission to use your content permanently to promote, improve or offer the Services. If Google publicly displays any of the content you submitted through the Service, Google will display only portion(s) and not the entirety of the content at one time.

There is nice review written by Jost Zestche on the gotchas with Google at: Translation Directory. (link removed)

If you don't care that your information is made available to Google "the permission to use your content permanently to promote, improve or offer the Services." then this can be handy but for many professional assignments this can be grounds for dismissal.

Perhaps in time corporations will relax on the privacy stuff and Google will give yo something back for all inadvertent donations you make to the Google coffers.

There are many blogs that warn people of the extent of the exposure that one tacitly agrees to when using the "free" Google services. You may recall that in the recent fiasco in China it became quite clear that Google regularly provides access to the NSA and others. See the link below.
http://www.siliconvalleywatcher.com/mt/archives/2010/01/goog_v_china_hi.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:%20SVWatcher%20(Silicon%20Valley%20Watcher)

[Edited at 2010-04-17 02:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-19 20:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-19 20:35 GMT]
Collapse

jethro
jethro
French to English
+ ...
GT4T Apr 25, 2012

The site for downloading the program says "GT4T never expires! GT4T is not a freeware, but you can use the trial version as long as you wish. A nag screen will appear occasionally after you use it 500 times but you don’t have to pay – if you don’t mind being nagged:)"

Does this still apply and how does this work out?

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Link? Apr 26, 2012

Kirti Vashee wrote:

There is nice review written by Jost Zestche on the gotchas with Google at: Translation Directory. (link removed)

Hi,

Do you by chance have the link to this article?

Thanks!

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
answers Apr 26, 2012

to jethro,

That policy is no longer valid. I obviously cannot afford that since Google Translate API is now a paid service.

To Daina,

Jost wrote an article titled "R2-D2 likes GT4T" in one issue of his paid edition of Translation Toolkit newsletter.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Thanks, Dallas! Apr 29, 2012

I get the paid version of the Toolkit, so I'll look it up. I haven't read them very thoroughly lately.

Chiara Foppa Pedretti
Chiara Foppa Pedretti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:15
English to Italian
+ ...
Licence issue Apr 10, 2015

Hi everyone,
I'm afraid I've just lost 59 $...

A few months ago, I gave GT4T a try and bought a 150k characters subscription. I found it really helpful with some repetitive tasks, so, when the licence expired, I decided to go on using the program.

A few days ago, I paid for a 1200k characters subscription and, following the instructions I had received via email, I entered the new licende code and my
... See more
Hi everyone,

A few months ago, I gave GT4T a try and bought a 150k characters subscription. I found it really helpful with some repetitive tasks, so, when the licence expired, I decided to go on using the program.

A few days ago, I paid for a 1200k characters subscription and, following the instructions I had received via email, I entered the new licende code and my email address in the relevant form…
However, when I try to translate something, I still receive the message that my licence has expired. If I rewrite the code and my email address in the form, I get an error message, saying I cannot use the same code more than once.

I have sent an email to the technical service asking for help, but no one has answered. I've also posted a message in the Q&A section of the website, but nothing happened.

Can someone help me, please?
Thank you!
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
please contact me Apr 10, 2015

Hi Chiara,

Please write to [email protected]. I will handle this shortly.

You can either get it resolved or get a refund. No worry.

Dallas

Chiara Foppa Pedretti wrote:

Hi everyone,

A few days ago, I paid for a 1200k characters subscription and, following the instructions I had received via email, I entered the new licende code and my email address in the relevant form…
However, when I try to translate something, I still receive the message that my licence has expired. If I rewrite the code and my email address in the form, I get an error message, saying I cannot use the same code more than once.

I have sent an email to the technical service asking for help, but no one has answered. I've also posted a message in the Q&A section of the website, but nothing happened.

Can someone help me, please?
Thank you!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

GT4T

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »