Denmark
Local time: 12:40
Danish to English
+ ...
Aug 8, 2017

HELP!

Trados keeps crashing, and I get this message:

SDL Trados Studio has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
available.

Very frustrating, as it happens over and over again. Once I restart Studio, I can work for a while again, but inevitably, it crashes again.

I work on a PC with Windows 10, Office 2013, and
... See more
HELP!

Trados keeps crashing, and I get this message:

SDL Trados Studio has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
available.

Very frustrating, as it happens over and over again. Once I restart Studio, I can work for a while again, but inevitably, it crashes again.

I work on a PC with Windows 10, Office 2013, and Studio 2017 SR1.

However, the problem existed before I upgraded to SR1, and obviously, I had hoped it would disappear with the new version. With the old version, I sent the program through Repair a couple of times, but this made no difference.

The problem occurs regardless of what file format I am working in (Word or idml files, for instance).

Even today, where I am working with a simple 24-page Word file, Studio has crashed three times already.

Any help? Anyone?
Collapse

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Probably the installation is corrupt Aug 8, 2017

Hello Gitte,

I had similar problems with Studio 2017 which I recently installed ( http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/317045-studio_2017_in_trial_mode_keeps_crashing.html ). I chatted with people from SDL support and they suggested I disable the antivirus software, deinstall all plugins, repair Studio, reinstall the p
... See more
Hello Gitte,

I had similar problems with Studio 2017 which I recently installed ( http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/317045-studio_2017_in_trial_mode_keeps_crashing.html ). I chatted with people from SDL support and they suggested I disable the antivirus software, deinstall all plugins, repair Studio, reinstall the plugins and reactivate the antivirus programme. This didn't work, even if I didn't reinstall the plugins at all. Eventually, I deinstalled Studio and only then installed SR 1. Make sure you run the installer as an administrator. I think this fixed the problem. However, Studio is very, very slow and freezes at each segment I confirm. It does not respond for a while but, luckily, at least now it resumes without crashing.
Collapse

George Luca
George Luca  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:40
German to Romanian
+ ...
Not quite an appropriate solution Aug 8, 2017

Try to disable Check spelling as you type, under File-Options-Editor-Spelling.

Gitte Hoveds (X)
Gitte Hoveds (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but... Aug 9, 2017

Not quite the sort of 'proper' solution I was hoping for.

But thanks for trying, Ekaterina and George, much appreciated.

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
This software is worth less than a dollar Dec 19, 2017

Hi Gitte,
I have the same problem.
I have talked hours with SDL support, they have changed my installation files but really nothing changed. So I formatted the PC and performed a clean installation of trados. The result? It still keeps crashing over and over again. And term recognition doesn't work as it should.
I run it on Windows 10 64 bit with 8 GB or RAM, so the problem is really not my PC but Trados.

And these are the error details:

Nome registr
... See more
Hi Gitte,
I have the same problem.
I have talked hours with SDL support, they have changed my installation files but really nothing changed. So I formatted the PC and performed a clean installation of trados. The result? It still keeps crashing over and over again. And term recognition doesn't work as it should.
I run it on Windows 10 64 bit with 8 GB or RAM, so the problem is really not my PC but Trados.

And these are the error details:

Nome registro: Application
Origine: Application Error
Data: 19/12/2017 09:31:37
ID evento: 1000
Categoria attività:(100)
Livello: Errore
Parole chiave: Classico
Utente: N/D
Computer: DESKTOP-Q95VB79
Descrizione:
Nome dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: SDLTradosStudio.exe, versione: 14.1.6413.8, timestamp: 0x5a009398
Nome del modulo che ha generato l'errore: ntdll.dll, versione: 10.0.16299.15, timestamp: 0xac8afc81
Codice eccezione: 0xc0000374
Offset errore 0x000da849
ID processo che ha generato l'errore: 0x1140
Ora di avvio dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: 0x01d3780b7d535766
Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio5\SDLTradosStudio.exe
Percorso del modulo che ha generato l'errore: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
ID segnalazione: e9d03b48-e0db-457c-a00b-7ad490e12283
Nome completo pacchetto che ha generato l'errore:
ID applicazione relativo al pacchetto che ha generato l'errore:
XML evento:

0x80000000000000

Application
DESKTOP-Q95VB79

SDLTradosStudio.exe
5a009398
ntdll.dll
ac8afc81
c0000374
000da849
01d3780b7d535766
C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio5\SDLTradosStudio.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
e9d03b48-e0db-457c-a00b-7ad490e12283

[Edited at 2017-12-19 08:41 GMT]
Collapse

Ulrich Schramm

Gitte Hoveds (X)
Gitte Hoveds (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ooops... problem resolved... hopefully Dec 19, 2017

Hi Bruno

Well, I guess we are prone to moan when things go wrong, but forget to mention when problems disappear. (I mean me, not you )

I had forgotten about this problem, maybe because it hasn't recurred since the last big SDL update a while back. There has also been a major Windows 10 update in the meantime, so I don't know which of the two may have resolved the problem. I just keep my fingers cross t
... See more
Hi Bruno

Well, I guess we are prone to moan when things go wrong, but forget to mention when problems disappear. (I mean me, not you )

I had forgotten about this problem, maybe because it hasn't recurred since the last big SDL update a while back. There has also been a major Windows 10 update in the meantime, so I don't know which of the two may have resolved the problem. I just keep my fingers cross that the problem IS gone now.

Hope you find a solution

Gitte
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Bruno Dec 19, 2017

Bruno Depascale wrote:
... so the problem is really not my PC but Trados.

This is a completely wrong assumption. From the error description that you have posted, it is obvious that the problem is not Trados, but Windows, namely the ntdll.dll system file.

There may be plenty of reasons for this (corrupt or damaged version of the ntdll.dll file itself, corrupt hardware drivers, or issues between Windows and other programs, not necessarily Trados). You may find lots of information about this on the Internet ( https://tinyurl.com/yd9s9lup ).
Take a look, for example, at
https://www.infopackets.com/news/9805/how-fix-ntdlldll-error-definitive-guide
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000960.htm
https://tinyurl.com/y7ujvf7q

Natalia

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Windows installations seems fine Dec 21, 2017

Natalie wrote:

Bruno Depascale wrote:
... so the problem is really not my PC but Trados.

This is a completely wrong assumption. From the error description that you have posted, it is obvious that the problem is not Trados, but Windows, namely the ntdll.dll system file.

There may be plenty of reasons for this (corrupt or damaged version of the ntdll.dll file itself, corrupt hardware drivers, or issues between Windows and other programs, not necessarily Trados). You may find lots of information about this on the Internet ( https://tinyurl.com/yd9s9lup ).
Take a look, for example, at
https://www.infopackets.com/news/9805/how-fix-ntdlldll-error-definitive-guide
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000960.htm
https://tinyurl.com/y7ujvf7q

Natalia

Thank you for your tips Natalia,
This is really strange, as I formatted Windows just a week ago, and I already have performed the following checks:
1) "sfc scan now” command which didn’t find any problems with my windows installation
2) Error checking of the C:\ drive (according to the article https://www.infopackets.com/news/9805/how-fix-ntdlldll-error-definitive-guide) and it also didn’t find any problems with my windows installation
3) Macrorit Disk Scanner: again, not a single problem found

I'll try other checks and let you know

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
DLL problem does not mean that something is wrong with Windows on the whole Dec 21, 2017

You cannot "format Windows", by the way, I assume you mean disk formatting or Windows re-installation. In any case, this means that there were already some problems with your computer as people normally do not reinstall operation system just for fun.

Your OS may lack some updates, the dll may be corrupt or misconfigured, and there may be various other reasons depending on the installed software, so please try other recommendations.

Good luck,
Natalia

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
WHY?! Dec 21, 2017

I do realize most translators are no computer geeks, yet I can't help smiling sadly when people keep formatting the real (host) system instead of using a clean'n'safe virtual machine... Just a snapshot.

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Neither do I Dec 23, 2017

DZiW wrote:

I do realize most translators are no computer geeks, yet I can't help smiling sadly when people keep formatting the real (host) system instead of using a clean'n'safe virtual machine... Just a snapshot.

Hi DZiW,
actually I run Windows on a virtual machine (Parallels 13).
But it seems that it's not so clean'n'safe

Ulrich Schramm

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Windows is run on a virtual machine (Parallels 13) Dec 23, 2017

Natalie wrote:

You cannot "format Windows", by the way, I assume you mean disk formatting or Windows re-installation. In any case, this means that there were already some problems with your computer as people normally do not reinstall operation system just for fun.

Your OS may lack some updates, the dll may be corrupt or misconfigured, and there may be various other reasons depending on the installed software, so please try other recommendations.

Good luck,
Natalia

Dear Natalia,
thank you for the info.
I haven't any problems with my computer (an iMac) but only with Windows (and trados of course). I performed a clean installation of Windows it because I thought that it would have solved the problem. But maybe my copy of Windows is corrupt at its root?
According to this article (https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-ntdll-dll-errors-2624474), it seems that Ntdll problems can also be caused by a software (in my case trados). I am not a technician so I really don't know what else to try.

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Windows 7 VM with VirtualBox Dec 26, 2017

Bruno Depascale wrote:

DZiW wrote:

Hi DZiW,
actually I run Windows on a virtual machine (Parallels 13).
But it seems that it's not so clean'n'safe

I have exactly the same problems as Bruno describes, on an updated and licensed W10 laptop. I've now created a Virtual Machine with Windows 7 as guest using Virtual Box, have been able to activate Windows 7, and have installed Studio 2017. Will keep you posted about results, haven't had any work to test Studio on the VM.
Many thanks, DZiW, for your hint. Hope the pain ends at last.

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:40
Member (2005)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Solution found to large file freezing Jun 9, 2020

George Luca wrote:

Try to disable Check spelling as you type, under File-Options-Editor-Spelling.

A large file kept freezing in Trados Studio 2019, I searched for a solution and found this from three years ago - but it worked! no more constant background humming and no more freezing. Just thought I leave it here for anybody else searching on the same problem, that disabling the spell checker resolved it (albeit not ideal, and I'll be turning it back on for smaller projects).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados crashes, over and over again

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »