Possibility of opening a bank account in Vietnam for a foreign national.
Thread poster: yugoslavia
yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
Local time: 10:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 9, 2014

Dear Vietnamese colleagues of Proz.com,

I hope you are doing well. I’m writing because I was offered a job as a Global Business Partner with a translation company from your country. I just got the Global Business Partner contract around a month ago.

Some Vietnamese colleagues have informed me that PayPal or Moneybookers is not used in Vietnam.

I would like to know if it is possible to open a bank account in Vietnam without traveling all the way down ther
... See more
Dear Vietnamese colleagues of Proz.com,

I hope you are doing well. I’m writing because I was offered a job as a Global Business Partner with a translation company from your country. I just got the Global Business Partner contract around a month ago.

Some Vietnamese colleagues have informed me that PayPal or Moneybookers is not used in Vietnam.

I would like to know if it is possible to open a bank account in Vietnam without traveling all the way down there.
I contacted Citibank in Hanoi but they require me to be present in Vietnam in order to open the bank account. They also require a huge amount of money to open a bank account in their country.

The amount that they require is a minimum of $2500 US Dollars. This amount of money is very big.

In The United States the Citibank’s branches require only a minimum of $50 US Dollars. I don’t understand why Citibank of Vietnam is requesting this big amount of money to open a bank account.

The amount of money they are asking to open the bank account just doesn’t make sense to me. $2500 US Dollars are also millions in Vietnamese currency.

It’s possible that I may travel to Vietnam to work in a conference there in the end of May and I will be able to open the bank account there but $2500 Dollars to open a bank account in Citibank is just too expensive.

Do you know if there are any other American banks located in Hanoi besides Citibank?

I know they have other American banks like HSBC in some countries in Asia and I’m wondering if it is possible for me to send the documents to Vietnam by mail in case I may not travel to Vietnam in order to work in this conference. The interpretation project is not confirmed yet.

Do you know if it is possible to give a power of attorney to somebody in Vietnam in order to open the bank account for me?

Thanks for your help and suggestions about this matter.

Sincerely,
Yugoslavia

[Edited at 2014-05-09 07:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-05-09 17:10 GMT]
Collapse

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found an American bank in Vietnam that require only $200 US Dollars. May 21, 2014

Dear Vietnamese colleagues,

I hope you are doing well in Vietnam.

I just got a letter from the American bank HSBC in Vietnam the day before yesterday. They told me that I can open a bank account with them for just $200 US Dollars,I will not be charged any maintenance fees if I keep this $200 US Dollars.

I just don't know if I will be required to be in Vietnam to open this bank account or I can do it by mail. I know in some countries you can open the bank ac
... See more
Dear Vietnamese colleagues,

I hope you are doing well in Vietnam.

I just got a letter from the American bank HSBC in Vietnam the day before yesterday. They told me that I can open a bank account with them for just $200 US Dollars,I will not be charged any maintenance fees if I keep this $200 US Dollars.

I just don't know if I will be required to be in Vietnam to open this bank account or I can do it by mail. I know in some countries you can open the bank account by mail and send the initial deposit to them. If I have a bank account in Vietnam I will be able to take the job as a Global Business Partner and they can deposit the commissions of my work that I will perform for them.

Your help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Feel free to write me in English or Spanish.
Sincerely.
Yugoslavia

[Edited at 2014-05-22 02:25 GMT]
Collapse

Ken Nguyen (X)
Ken Nguyen (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:00
English to Korean
+ ...
Re: Possibility of opening a bank account in Vietnam for a foreign national. May 22, 2014

Dear,
do you have skype to have directly conversation about this issue
Mine is expertrans.65
BR,

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply Ken. May 23, 2014

Hi Ken,

Thank you so much for your reply.

What will be the best time to reach you by Skype?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Yugoslavia

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Possibility of opening a bank account in Vietnam for a foreign national.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »