Thread poster: CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 18:27
Mar 29, 2017

Just read about Wordfast Pro 5 here.

When will it be released?

What are the major new features (except for tracking of changes)?

Studio Projects, I guess?

Floatable term pane?

Thanks in advance!

Hans

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:27
English to French
+ ...
Where did you find about that? Mar 29, 2017

You say you read about WfP 5 "here". Where is "here?"

A version 5 would be quite surprising, considering that 4 is very much a work in progress, IMHO.

Unless, of course, the powers-that-be at Wf have decided that the WfP 4 architecture was a mistake, and are starting from scratch??

I would expect any news to be disclosed at the Wordfast Forward meet in May, anyway.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Release planned for mid-April Mar 29, 2017

Hi Hans and JL,

I don't want to burst your bubble Hans, but a floating term pane will not be a new feature. Unfortunately, this is not possible with the architecture of the software (different code than WFP3). There have been some resizing improvements however. Directly importing Studio packages is still being worked on.

WFP4 and WFP5 share the same code so it is not a major shift like going from WFP3 to WFP4. A lot of work has been done under the hood to speed up WFP5.
... See more
Hi Hans and JL,

I don't want to burst your bubble Hans, but a floating term pane will not be a new feature. Unfortunately, this is not possible with the architecture of the software (different code than WFP3). There have been some resizing improvements however. Directly importing Studio packages is still being worked on.

WFP4 and WFP5 share the same code so it is not a major shift like going from WFP3 to WFP4. A lot of work has been done under the hood to speed up WFP5. So performance is greatly improved. It also has a new UI skin.

The MT API connections have been updated for Google MT Premium edition and Microsoft MT Azure marketplace.

There will be three more WFP5 releases throughout the year, after the mid-April one, with a lot more features, including: easy import and export of Studio packages, an Excel wizard, live preview, and language rules modules for Transcheck. Of course, lots of improvements too.

Best,
John
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:27
English to French
+ ...
Thanks for the heads-up Mar 29, 2017

Thanks, John.

John Di Rico wrote:

Hi Hans and JL,

WFP4 and WFP5 share the same code so it is not a major shift like going from WFP3 to WFP4. A lot of work has been done under the hood to speed up WFP5. So performance is greatly improved. It also has a new UI skin.

The MT API connections have been updated for Google MT Premium edition and Microsoft MT Azure marketplace.

There will be three more WFP5 releases throughout the year, after the mid-April one, with a lot more features, including: easy import and export of Studio packages, an Excel wizard, live preview, and language rules modules for Transcheck. Of course, lots of improvements too.

Best,
John

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Mid-April already Mar 30, 2017

Thank you, John.

Mid-April is rather soon. I look forward to have a look at the new version of WFP.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Question Apr 5, 2017

Does Wordfast Professional offer MT suggestions via Autocomplete just like Wf Classic has done for many years?

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:27
English to Turkish
+ ...
version 5 released Apr 27, 2017

You can test it now, Wordfast Pro 5 is released.

It seems version 4 and 5 cannot co-exist, and the first thing you will notice is the grey colour scheme.

[Edited at 2017-04-27 14:27 GMT]

momolja (X)
momolja (X)
United Kingdom
Working with Pro5 and Classic using same TM? May 2, 2017

I'm reasonably excited about Pro5, since I never got on with Pro4 and decided to stick with 3, which feels a bit outdated now. However, here's a question:
From what I can figure out, Pro5 only works with TMs in tmx format. Classic works with TMs in txt format. I work for a client who needs some translations done in Pro and some in Classic and I need to use the same TM, whichever one I'm working in.
Without having to convert, re-migrate etc. my TM *each time* I have to change tool ver
... See more
I'm reasonably excited about Pro5, since I never got on with Pro4 and decided to stick with 3, which feels a bit outdated now. However, here's a question:
From what I can figure out, Pro5 only works with TMs in tmx format. Classic works with TMs in txt format. I work for a client who needs some translations done in Pro and some in Classic and I need to use the same TM, whichever one I'm working in.
Without having to convert, re-migrate etc. my TM *each time* I have to change tool version, is there any way I can use the same TM in Pro5 and Classic?

This is not a problem in Pro3, so if Pro5 can ONLY deal with tmx format TMs I would stick with Pro3 (which hopefully won't be phased out anytime soon??)

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions.
Collapse

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
WfC converts TMX into TXT May 4, 2017

Each time you connect (import) a TM in tmx format into WfC, it converts it into txt format; just be careful to use different names for these TMX memories, in order that your "older" TXT tm-s are not over-written.

And not only, in WfC you can export TXT TM into TMX format under UTF-16LE encoding, which I think you need to re-convert into UTF-8, without particular problems with Windows Notepad.

momolja wrote:
Without having to convert, re-migrate etc. my TM *each time* I have to change tool version, is there any way I can use the same TM in Pro5 and Classic?

[Edited at 2017-05-04 13:17 GMT]

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Switching from WF4 to WF5 May 10, 2017

Hello,
I'm already working with WF4 and I've created projects, TMs, Glossaries, etc for each client.

Now, if I instal WF5 should I uninstall WF4?
If so, may I continue using the created projects on WF5 or should I create new projects? And how to use the WF4 projects?

Thanks a lot

Lucia

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Info on our newsletter May 10, 2017

Hi Lucia,

I think your questions are answered here: http://www.wordfast.com/subscribe/wordfast_wire_07

Kind regards,
John

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Got it! May 11, 2017

Thanks John,
I'll download the WF5 release.

Hilde Ekama-Van Bogaert
Hilde Ekama-Van Bogaert  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Adding words to spellchecker in Wordfast pro 5 May 19, 2017

I'be upgraded from Wordfast pro 4 to version 5, but unfortunately I do not still see the option the save words in the Hunspell dictionary. In Trados Studio this has always been possible, so why not in Wordfast 4 & 5. Is there perhaps a workaround this?

Many thanks,

HVB

Maciej Szemiel
Maciej Szemiel
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Progress Bar May 22, 2017

Dear John,

I have a question regarding the progress bar in WFP5: is it now character/word based or still segment-based?

Cheers,
Maciej

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Ticketed for improvement May 31, 2017

Maciej Szemiel wrote:

Dear John,

I have a question regarding the progress bar in WFP5: is it now character/word based or still segment-based?

Cheers,
Maciej

Unfortunately, it is still segment-based. This should be improved in a release later this year.

Best,

John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 5?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »