Health wake-up call
Thread poster: Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 19:51
ProZ.com team
Feb 24, 2020

No sooner had I got the ball rolling in this little corner of the ProZiverse than my heart decided to attack me. Nothing personal, and it seems there is a history in my family, but it still came as quite a shock.

There I was, proud owner of a healthy lifestyle, with all the bells and whistles (vegan food, yoga, meditation, regular exercise), and I'd just come back from an entire week doing yoga in India, for heaven's sake, when I felt a pain in my chest during a walk on my very firs
... See more
No sooner had I got the ball rolling in this little corner of the ProZiverse than my heart decided to attack me. Nothing personal, and it seems there is a history in my family, but it still came as quite a shock.

There I was, proud owner of a healthy lifestyle, with all the bells and whistles (vegan food, yoga, meditation, regular exercise), and I'd just come back from an entire week doing yoga in India, for heaven's sake, when I felt a pain in my chest during a walk on my very first day back.

Granted, there was a 30-hour journey the day before, and maybe I hadn't slept enough, but all the same I didn't see that one coming at all.

Luckily, I was pretty aware that this was more than just breathlessness or a stitch, so I jumped on my scooter and checked myself in at the local hospital. Within 2 hours I'd been operated on and now star in my own production of Return of the Stentman.

As you can imagine, it has made me reassess all kinds of things about my life and given me a few new perspectives. There are easier ways of going about reassessing priorities, but why not take advantage of this "mishap" and reflect on our lot, particularly as we are in a vulnerable position – both in physical and emotional terms – as largely sedentary freelancers?

As I discovered, life can suddenly come up with nasty surprises, but the consensus – not only among the doctors but a group of friends of mine who are coaches and chiropractors – is that you make a much faster recovery if you’re in good physical and mental shape to begin with.

First up, let’s start with a simple question. We all know about the dangers of sedentary living, so how much exercise do you do each week, getting out from behind your desk?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Andrew Feb 24, 2020

Andrew Morris wrote:
So how much exercise do you do each week, getting out from behind your desk?

I thought you lived in a sunny place, Andrew? When the sun shines, you don't need to exercise. There's no sun in my current country -- just an orb in the sky that provides light, but no warmth. I'm don't understand how the Dutch survive (or perhaps I don't understand how nutrition works).

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Existential crisis Feb 24, 2020

Samuel, it seems from close examination of your reply that you believe yourself to be a plant?

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Feb 24, 2020

Sorry to hear that Andrew. Next time, please don't hop on your motorbike! My father died of a heart attack, hitting a lamp-post as he fell, while out on his morning walk, I know he wouldn't have gone out had he felt dodgy - and you were already feeling dodgy! I'm pretty sure you must have ambulances round your way?

I try to do a good half-hour of yoga and some other sport every day (swimming cycling or a long walk) for about an hour. It's not always possible, I've been neglectful o
... See more
Sorry to hear that Andrew. Next time, please don't hop on your motorbike! My father died of a heart attack, hitting a lamp-post as he fell, while out on his morning walk, I know he wouldn't have gone out had he felt dodgy - and you were already feeling dodgy! I'm pretty sure you must have ambulances round your way?

I try to do a good half-hour of yoga and some other sport every day (swimming cycling or a long walk) for about an hour. It's not always possible, I've been neglectful of late, your message comes as a timely reminder that I have very good reasons for fitting it all in.
Collapse

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Ambulance schmambulance Feb 24, 2020

You're completely right of course, Kate. In fact I didn't even think it was my heart, but a recurrence of a long-forgotten asthma. It's only when I got to the hospital that I realised how serious it had been... If I'd known I very probably would have dialled the emergency services.

Sorry to hear that about your Dad. That's very sad.

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Glad you got the right treatment in time. Feb 24, 2020

I'm no longer young, and very much aware that I don't want to kill myself by working all day and not getting enough rest and relaxation. I have a dog and a horse, so I am forced to exercise - even on the days I don't ride I still have to walk the dog, so staying at the computer all day every day is not an option.

Andrew Morris
Lidija Klemencic

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Too right Feb 25, 2020

Sarah Lewis-Morgan wrote:

staying at the computer all day every day is not an option.

Yes, Sarah if only for the reason that you don't want to look back at your life with regret and say that it was all spent in front of a screen...

Sarah Lewis-Morgan

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Feb 25, 2020

Thank you Andrew. Luckily the neighbours were just driving past and saw Dad falling. I take comfort from the fact that he can only have suffered for 15 minutes at the very most, since he was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital.

And in my haste to answer last night I worded my message very clumsily, of course I meant "if ever there is a next time which I hope not" rather than my hasty "next time"!

Hmm I used to have asthma as a teen and young adult, interesting t
... See more
Thank you Andrew. Luckily the neighbours were just driving past and saw Dad falling. I take comfort from the fact that he can only have suffered for 15 minutes at the very most, since he was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital.

And in my haste to answer last night I worded my message very clumsily, of course I meant "if ever there is a next time which I hope not" rather than my hasty "next time"!

Hmm I used to have asthma as a teen and young adult, interesting that your heart attack felt like that.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not so much ... Feb 25, 2020

... "Andrew's corner" as "Andrew's coronary", then.

Glad you pulled through, and take it easy!!!!

P.L.F. Persio
texjax DDS PhD
Lidija Klemencic

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
We compare with what we know Feb 25, 2020

Kay Denney wrote:

Hmm I used to have asthma as a teen and young adult, interesting that your heart attack felt like that.

Yes, interesting. It's all I had to go on as my experience of heart attacks is thankfully limited

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias, corazón Feb 25, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... "Andrew's corner" as "Andrew's coronary", then.

Haha heartfelt thanks.

I'd ventricle to say there are plenty more heart puns out there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Health wake-up call

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »