Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >
Trados Arabic Forum المنتدى العربي لبرنامج ترادوس
Thread poster: ahmadwadan.com
baumdeor
baumdeor
English to Arabic
New to Trados Mar 12, 2007

Hello,

I would like to purchase the Trados translation software. Can someone please tell me which product I should start off with? The new Trados 7 is $895 and that is too expensive for me, especially as a beginner. Any advise will be much appreciated. I look into translation Arabic- English and vice versa.

Thanks a lot,

Baumdeor

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:42
English to Arabic
+ ...
Translating PowerPoint presentation in TagEditor - Arabic encoding problem!! Mar 28, 2007

Hi Ahmad or anyone who can help me with that,

I'm using TagEditor to translate a PowerPoint presentation for the very first time. Everything went well with the first two sentences. Then, suddenly, I open a new segment, but I can no longer type in Arabic. All I can see is squares... What could possibly have happened??
Any help appreciated!

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 17:42
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Snapshot Mar 28, 2007

Nesrin wrote:

Hi Ahmad or anyone who can help me with that,

I'm using TagEditor to translate a PowerPoint presentation for the very first time. Everything went well with the first two sentences. Then, suddenly, I open a new segment, but I can no longer type in Arabic. All I can see is squares... What could possibly have happened??
Any help appreciated!

Hi Nesrin,

Can you link a snapshot of your screen to be able to see the problem?

Detailed elaboration of the problem may lead to solution Inshallah.

kind regards

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:42
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanks Ahmad, but... Mar 28, 2007

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

I've tried linking stuff on forum posts before and it didn't work.
Never mind, for now I've decided to do it the primitive way, by copying the entire text into Word, using Trados there, and then copying it back to Powerpoint!

But the problem is easy to imagine without snapshot.. Imagine if I'm supposed to be typing an Arabic text, but really all that appears is [white square white square white square white square... etc.]. Yaani, if someone can still come up with a good explanation/tip I'll be happy to hear from you.

[Edited at 2007-03-28 13:53]

ahmadwadan.com
Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Free hosting Mar 28, 2007

Nesrin wrote:

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

I've tried linking stuff on forum posts before and it didn't work.
Never mind, for now I've decided to do it the primitive way, by copying the entire text into Word, using Trados there, and then copying it back to Powerpoint!

Hi Nesrin,
As a platinum member you have free hosting so you can use it to upload your files, gifs, snapshots...etc with 100% guaranteed success. Other option is to do the same through your website then provide us with the link. I wish I could help.

Kind regards

Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 18:42
English to Arabic
+ ...
Question Re. TagEditor Spelling Check Mar 30, 2007

Hi Ahmed and all!

Is there any way to check Arabic spelling in TagEditor?
I have SDL Trados 2006.

Thanks for your kind help Ahmed!

Regards

Waleed

ahmadwadan.com
Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Plug in Mar 30, 2007

Waleed Mohamed wrote:

Hi Ahmed and all!

I have SDL Trados 2006.

Regards

Waleed

If my memory is still ok I think your search scope with lie within a "plug in".

Kind regards

Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 18:42
English to Arabic
+ ...
I don't understand Ahmed Mar 31, 2007

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

Waleed Mohamed wrote:

Hi Ahmed and all!

I have SDL Trados 2006.

Regards

Waleed

If my memory is still ok I think your search scope with lie within a "plug in".

Kind regards

I don't understand you, Ahmed. What do you mean by "plug in"?
Ahmed, I am not professional in Trados lik you, so talk to me in simpler language

Thank you any way!

Waleed

ahmadwadan.com
Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Add-in Mar 31, 2007

I don't understand you, Ahmed. What do you mean by "plug in"?
Ahmed, I am not professional in Trados lik you, so talk to me in simpler language

Thank you any way!

Waleed

Dear Waleed,
I meant to search for any available Arabic "add-in" (a small program added to another program in order to expand the program's options) that can be purchased separately to be integrated with SDL to achieve your purpose. There are many add-ins for different purposes...some of them are free and others are not. So all you have to do is to search using search keys such as:
SDL Arabic spell checking add-in...or as you consider appropriate.

Kind regards

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 16:42
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Font corruption May 2, 2007

Has anyone been able to solve this problem, or has anyone else faced it?

Frequently, when I translate a mixed language segment, such as an Arabic segment that contains an English acronym, Trados changes the target font when it saves the TU. The changed font is usually an Asian font such as "MS Mincho". That TU becomes useless for future retrieval as it appears in Asian characters.

I've seen reports of this problem with other languages, but I have not come accross a so
... See more
Has anyone been able to solve this problem, or has anyone else faced it?

Frequently, when I translate a mixed language segment, such as an Arabic segment that contains an English acronym, Trados changes the target font when it saves the TU. The changed font is usually an Asian font such as "MS Mincho". That TU becomes useless for future retrieval as it appears in Asian characters.

I've seen reports of this problem with other languages, but I have not come accross a solution yet. With SDL Trados 2007, the problem is worse. Before, I was able to edit the TU by hand and change the rtf tags to fix the font, now even that does not work.

I am facing this problem now with a large project and it is killing my productivity.

Any ideas?
Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2 ideas one of them works for sure May 2, 2007

Dear Alaa,

I did not come across this problem yet however, I have the following idea:

Workbench>>File>>Setup>>Fonts>>Source Font (choose the undesired font)>>Target Font (choose the desired font)>>Click Add.

I wish it works with you.

If it does not work her is a solution that I am sure it works:

- Keep Trados hallucinating as it likes.
- Clean file.
- Right-click any word that has the undesired font and choose "Select T
... See more
Dear Alaa,

I did not come across this problem yet however, I have the following idea:

Workbench>>File>>Setup>>Fonts>>Source Font (choose the undesired font)>>Target Font (choose the desired font)>>Click Add.

I wish it works with you.

If it does not work her is a solution that I am sure it works:

- Keep Trados hallucinating as it likes.
- Clean file.
- Right-click any word that has the undesired font and choose "Select Text With Similar Formatting".
- All text with undesired font type will be highlighted.
- Go to font and choose the one you like.

Done

HTH

[Edited at 2007-05-02 21:16]
Collapse

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Maybe the second May 2, 2007

Shokran Ahmed,

I would expect the first one to work, since the problem is with the target font not the source font. However, there is a sligthly similar option that Trados suggests, which to set up your desired target font for each source font and not rely on the checkbox for "translate all other fonts into default font". But this has not always worked for me before, and it also is quite tedious.

Your second suggestion would probably work, the only problem is that I wil
... See more
Shokran Ahmed,

I would expect the first one to work, since the problem is with the target font not the source font. However, there is a sligthly similar option that Trados suggests, which to set up your desired target font for each source font and not rely on the checkbox for "translate all other fonts into default font". But this has not always worked for me before, and it also is quite tedious.

Your second suggestion would probably work, the only problem is that I will not be able to reuse the corrupted TU's until the end. So they will only be useful for subsequent documents. This is still better than nothing.

Thanks again
Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Evrn the latest version has format problems May 2, 2007

I recently tried SDL Trados 2007 and I faced problems regarding format such as converting target format to be bold or italic while source is not and finally I have to handle that manually

But I see that the latest version better in respect of its ability to clean headers (most of times).

If you got any comprehensive solution for that kindly share it with me.

Kind regards

[Edited at 200
... See more
I recently tried SDL Trados 2007 and I faced problems regarding format such as converting target format to be bold or italic while source is not and finally I have to handle that manually

But I see that the latest version better in respect of its ability to clean headers (most of times).

If you got any comprehensive solution for that kindly share it with me.

Kind regards

[Edited at 2007-05-03 05:52]
Collapse

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Latest Trados faithful to previous bugs May 2, 2007

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

But I see that the latest version better in respect of its ability to clear headers (most of times).

What do you mean by clearing headers?

Other than that, I have been using Trados 2007 since its release, and I am facing the same problems that I have struggling with since at least Trados 5.5, with the added bonus of much slower performance.

I have to use it because I am currently bound to my laptop which runs Windows Vista.

ahmadwadan.com
Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cleaning headers May 3, 2007

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:

What do you mean by clearing headers?

Sorry for typo. I meant clea(n)ing.
I agree with you that the latest version does not include the expected enhancements especially in terms of bugs.

Regards

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Arabic Forum المنتدى العربي لبرنامج ترادوس

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »