Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Invoice rejected because it was sent in later than 3 months (Translation Agency)
Thread poster: Regina Maria Brodmann
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
One more letter Jan 20, 2021

Regina Maria Brodmann wrote:

Small claims court then. Costs bugger all. Fill in a form and wait for the cash. They won’t want a CCJ hanging over them. Probably...

Thanks, I checked it and filled out everything, but haven't sent it out yet. I have sent the company a mail on Monday, but they haven't replied yet. I am not expecting them to, though.

I am now unsure if I should send the claim or send the company another mail (at the end of the week?), announcing that I will submit a claim? I did sign their T&Cs, which state that I have to submit invoices within 90 days. But the Limitation Act 1980 says I can chase up unpaid invoices from up to 6 years. So, does the Limitation Act weigh more, despite my signature on the T&Cs?

I honestly don’t know. But you’d think they’d pay up rather than test it in court. (Unless they do this with translators all the time...)

I’d definitely tell them first that you plan to do a small claim. The threat might be enough and save you a few quid.

They may play hard ball, of course, but a small claim isn’t much money or effort. And even if you lose, you have the satisfaction of knowing that not paying you has cost them way more than if they’d paid you in the first place. And that could be the greatest satisfaction of all at this point.

Rachel Waddington
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:11
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My experience Jan 20, 2021

Way back, in France, I signed a contract that said I would only receive payment on completion of a training course I was giving. When the student withdrew, I invoiced the company. They insisted I had to make up the hours in totally different situations -- evenings, far from home, etc. I refused and eventually took them to the small claims court. The judge ruled their contract clause was abusive.

I'm pretty sure you'd find the same. Totally different circumstances, of course, but the
... See more
Way back, in France, I signed a contract that said I would only receive payment on completion of a training course I was giving. When the student withdrew, I invoiced the company. They insisted I had to make up the hours in totally different situations -- evenings, far from home, etc. I refused and eventually took them to the small claims court. The judge ruled their contract clause was abusive.

I'm pretty sure you'd find the same. Totally different circumstances, of course, but these contracts don't necessarily hold water.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Niina Lahokoski

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Keep us posted? Jan 21, 2021

If you do decide to pursue this I'd be very interested in hearing what the outcome is.

Regina Maria Brodmann
Regina Maria Brodmann
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will let you know! Jan 21, 2021

First of all, thank you all for your answers. I thought by now I had seen everything, but I am so glad for the support in this forum! I will send the warning mail tomorrow and if they don't reply, will submit the money claim.
The amount is not that high, but high enough for me to go through with it. Plus, I am disappointed enough with the company to burn the bridges behind me, haha!

Adieu
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Yaotl Altan

Regina Maria Brodmann
Regina Maria Brodmann
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UPDATE Feb 1, 2021

Guys, I am so relieved!!! I submitted the claim, paid 25 pounds on Friday night. Today, I got a mail from Money Claims: "The defendant said they’ll pay you immediately."

I haven't received the money yet, but I am so relieved they haven't rejected the claim.

Christopher Schröder
Christel Zipfel
Adieu
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Andrée Anne Tremblay

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yay Feb 1, 2021

Regina Maria Brodmann wrote:

Guys, I am so relieved!!! I submitted the claim, paid 25 pounds on Friday night. Today, I got a mail from Money Claims: "The defendant said they’ll pay you immediately."

I haven't received the money yet, but I am so relieved they haven't rejected the claim.

So glad to hear this, good for you for standing up for yourself!

Christel Zipfel
Peter Shortall

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoice rejected because it was sent in later than 3 months (Translation Agency)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »