Need advice and Suggestion for my pitch, profile, and CV.
Thread poster: Vicky wu
Vicky wu
Vicky wu  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:17
Member (2020)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Jun 22, 2020

Greetings to Esteemed Member of ProZ.

If it's possible, I am in need of a suggestion or advice regarding my pitch, profile, and CV. I've been getting quite a lot of job notification from ProZ but my conversion rate from my email to leads is very low. I'm trying to raise my conversion rate as I'm trying to make it full time as a Linguis
... See more

If it's possible, I am in need of a suggestion or advice regarding my pitch, profile, and CV. I've been getting quite a lot of job notification from ProZ but my conversion rate from my email to leads is very low. I'm trying to raise my conversion rate as I'm trying to make it full time as a Linguist. Please kindly take a look at my profile (https://www.proz.com/profile/1904861), my CV is attached there, and here's my pitch.

Hi name,

Greetings. My name is Vicky, nice to e-meet you. I'm interested in the project you posted on ProZ. My rate per word is xxx with 5000 - 7000 daily words output. Attached is my CV for your reference.

A little information about myself. I believe my purpose to become a linguist is to break the language barrier and make communication easier for everybody. With more than 8 years of experience translating various Domain, Level 6 in HSK Chinese Language, C2 (based on CEFR) English language. I'm very confident my translation will be able to meet up with your expectations. Thank you in advance. Looking forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Warm Regards,
Vicky
Your One-Stop Translator Partner
Collapse

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:17
English to Turkish
5000 - 7000 daily words output Jun 22, 2020

Vicky wu wrote:

If it's possible, I am in need of a suggestion or advice regarding my pitch, profile, and CV. I've been getting quite a lot of job notification from ProZ but my conversion rate from my email to leads is very low. I'm trying to raise my conversion rate as I'm trying to make it full time as a Linguist. Please kindly take a look at my profile (https://www.proz.com/profile/1904861), my CV is attached there, and here's my pitch.

Hi name,

Greetings. My name is Vicky, nice to e-meet you. I'm interested in the project you posted on ProZ. My rate per word is xxx with 5000 - 7000 daily words output. Attached is my CV for your reference.

A little information about myself. I believe my purpose to become a linguist is to break the language barrier and make communication easier for everybody. With more than 8 years of experience translating various Domain, Level 6 in HSK Chinese Language, C2 (based on CEFR) English language. I'm very confident my translation will be able to meet up with your expectations. Thank you in advance. Looking forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Warm Regards,
Vicky
Your One-Stop Translator Partner

Perhaps it's just me, but I'd be highly doubtful of the overall quality of translation from someone claiming to be translating 7000 words a day unless, of course, they are superhuman or doing Machine Translation.

Josephine Cassar
Sabrina Bruna
Alexandra Farina
Zibow Retailleau
Dan Lucas
Joe France
Sheila Wilson

Vicky wu
Indonesia
Member (2020)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Jun 22, 2020

Hi Baran, Thank you for pointing that out. I'm working with my friend so we may cover more word count with me as the final checker. Maybe that's not a good idea for my pitch, will surely revise that. What do you think about my CV?

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:17
German to Swedish
+ ...
Native English Jun 22, 2020

About the pitch text:

You need to have a native English speaker edit the text.
"My purpose to become a linguist", "meet up with your expectations" etc.

Also I'd take out a few polite phrases. Be confident, businesslike and brief.
Don't use "warm regards" until you've done a few jobs for them.

Don't put in vague general statements that anyone could write ("break the language barrier and make communication easier").

"My name is X" wh
... See more
About the pitch text:

You need to have a native English speaker edit the text.
"My purpose to become a linguist", "meet up with your expectations" etc.

Also I'd take out a few polite phrases. Be confident, businesslike and brief.
Don't use "warm regards" until you've done a few jobs for them.

Don't put in vague general statements that anyone could write ("break the language barrier and make communication easier").

"My name is X" when the name is obvious from the signature and sender sets off my personal scam detector. Perhaps I'm not alone in this.
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Rachel Waddington
Zibow Retailleau
Sheila Wilson
Jorge Payan
Elena Feriani
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:17
Dutch to English
+ ...
Tips Jun 22, 2020

Vicky wu wrote:

Hi Baran, Thank you for pointing that out. I'm working with my friend so we may cover more word count with me as the final checker. Maybe that's not a good idea for my pitch, will surely revise that. What do you think about my CV?

If someone else is going to be working on the text I think you need to make that clear to your customer for confidentiality reasons.

Regarding your CV, I think this would benefit from being edited by a native speaker of English. I would also recommend that you stick to translating into your native language. Your CV and profile contain mistakes and do not read like fluent idiomatic English, and this doesn't inspire confidence if you are working in this direction.

Zibow Retailleau
Joe France
Sheila Wilson
Elena Feriani
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Vicky wu
Indonesia
Member (2020)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well Noted Jun 22, 2020

Thank you Rachel and Joakim,

I really appreciate the input. This will surely help me in improving my pitch and CV.

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:17
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not just a mailshot! Jun 25, 2020

It seems to me your approach is too wide and too focused on yourself, not your potential client. You could send out hundreds or thousands of emails saying "Hi, i am Vicky, hire me!" and my guess is that they will go straight into the trash box, leaving no trace and giving you no work.

I would suggest you decide what your strengths are and then do some research to identify agencies that appear to specialize in the kind of work, the kind of subjects, the kind of clients that you would
... See more
It seems to me your approach is too wide and too focused on yourself, not your potential client. You could send out hundreds or thousands of emails saying "Hi, i am Vicky, hire me!" and my guess is that they will go straight into the trash box, leaving no trace and giving you no work.

I would suggest you decide what your strengths are and then do some research to identify agencies that appear to specialize in the kind of work, the kind of subjects, the kind of clients that you would be useful for. Perhaps you will get a list of 20 to 50 possibilities. By now you will have studied their websites, and you know something about where in their set-up you might fit in.

And then you start working through the list, sending out your emails but with an individualized cover note to your CV that shows you understand something about this particular agency's work and needs, and how you can contribute.

If this sounds laborious, it is. But you might actually get some results. When I did a similar exercise some years ago I got three repeat clients from a long-list of twelve agencies. And these clients are still with me.

Best of luck!
Collapse

Rachel Waddington

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need advice and Suggestion for my pitch, profile, and CV.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »