Localizing web-based software - what about context?
Thread poster: globallylocal
globallylocal
globallylocal
Germany
Jul 20, 2017

Hello all,

How do you localize software? We currently use MemoQ to outsource translation projects, but it does not seem possible to attach screenshots of our software interface for the translators, unless it is included in the actual source file. But how could a screenshot be included in a JSON file?! I am a newbie, so if you know of any way to manually attached screenshots and add comments in MemoQ directly, it would be great if you could share it with me.

Do you know
... See more
Hello all,

How do you localize software? We currently use MemoQ to outsource translation projects, but it does not seem possible to attach screenshots of our software interface for the translators, unless it is included in the actual source file. But how could a screenshot be included in a JSON file?! I am a newbie, so if you know of any way to manually attached screenshots and add comments in MemoQ directly, it would be great if you could share it with me.

Do you know if Memsource has such a functionality by any chance?

It seems that some of the newer, less established players have this option of screenshots, such as Crowdin or OneSky. Our in-country reviewers are not professional translators, so a full-blown tool such as MemoQ might not be necessary. One of the newer platforms might be easier to use for non-translators AND they will be able to see screenshots too.

So my question is: How do you usually translate or outsource software strings (web-based software) AND provide sufficient context in the form of comments or screenshots? (SDL Passolo is probably too expensive for us).

Thank you!

[Edited at 2017-07-20 13:43 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localizing web-based software - what about context?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »