How to start doing localization
Thread poster: johndoe2
johndoe2
johndoe2
Germany
Jan 5, 2018

Hi to all,

I have been translating for a couple of years now and I would like to start doing localization. However, before proposing anything to any potential clients or marketing this, I would like to clearly understand the process.

This is not very clear to me and I would highly appreciate your help.

How exactly does it work? What kind of tools do I need? If I make a proposal to a business owner to translate his website, how do I go ahead from there on?
... See more
Hi to all,

I have been translating for a couple of years now and I would like to start doing localization. However, before proposing anything to any potential clients or marketing this, I would like to clearly understand the process.

How exactly does it work? What kind of tools do I need? If I make a proposal to a business owner to translate his website, how do I go ahead from there on? How do I actually get to make him a different website page which is translated? I speak about the small business owners which do not have a team of web designers etc.

Thank you very much!

Hans
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Find a job with a videogaming outfit Jan 6, 2018

johndoe2 wrote:

Hi to all,

How exactly does it work? What kind of tools do I need? If I make a proposal to a business owner to translate his website, how do I go ahead from there on? How do I actually get to make him a different website page which is translated? I speak about the small business owners which do not have a team of web designers etc.

Thank you very much!

Hans

Localizing software is a highly specialized field that no one should approach as if it were a computer-center office job. You could start by reading all there is about software localization in online forums and resources. Some translation companies and translators associations have published very legible and understandable articles on the subject. I'd suggest you start there before you proceed with asking your other questions.

Website localization is not so different, but the advice is the same. Once you read those primer articles, you'll find answers to many of your questions. Do your homework first.

Localization has some highly technical requirements (and requires technical knowledge as well). Maybe you're lucky and start working on a localization project by proofreading ad copy. It has exciting and boring tasks, like any other translation project.

johndoe2
johndoe2
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 7, 2018

Thank you very much for your advice!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to start doing localization

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »