Thread poster: Sayeda Abdelrazik
Sayeda Abdelrazik
Sayeda Abdelrazik
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:11
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 27, 2020

Can anyone reccomend any good tool to use to translate InDesign files that will allow you to preview the file as well?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a live preview but at least something that would enable me to see the source text in context.

Thank you in advance!

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Can you have your files converted to idml format by the client? Oct 27, 2020

If not, I think you can find a good tip here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/334502-indd_files_in_sdl_2019.html

Sayeda Abdelrazik
Sayeda Abdelrazik
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, they do Oct 29, 2020

They usually provide me with IDML files as well.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sayeda, Oct 29, 2020

Sayeda Abdelrazik wrote:

Can anyone reccomend any good tool to use to translate InDesign files that will allow you to preview the file as well?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a live preview but at least something that would enable me to see the source text in context.

Thank you in advance!

In that case, Trados Studio does the job for you, but other CAT tools as well.
You can translate your idml files and you are able to have the source text and target text side-by-side. You can also preview the original file.
Am I understanding your question right...?

Yaotl Altan

Sayeda Abdelrazik
Sayeda Abdelrazik
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No available preview on Trados Oct 30, 2020

I have imported an IDML on Trados but I can't see the preview. It says it's not available.

I had already tried to work on the language terminal as per the post you shared with me but the results are not great.

I am looking for something that gives you a real preview of how the original file looks like.

Steffen Kern
Steffen Kern
Local time: 22:11
English to German
No land in sight Oct 30, 2020

Hi Sayeda,

I can only tell you that I have looked hard for this as well, but didn't find any solution. Frontlab had released a Trados Plug-in that worked in 2018, but then they were acquired by LanguageWire and that was the end of it. I haven't scanned the market for a while, so maybe somebody has come up with a solution in between. If not, this is probably one of the biggest unmeet needs of the translation industry.

Let me know if you find something. Good luck!

Sayeda Abdelrazik

Sayeda Abdelrazik
Sayeda Abdelrazik
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Oct 30, 2020

Steffen Kern wrote:

Hi Sayeda,

I can only tell you that I have looked hard for this as well, but didn't find any solution. Frontlab had released a Trados Plug-in that worked in 2018, but then they were acquired by LanguageWire and that was the end of it. I haven't scanned the market for a while, so maybe somebody has come up with a solution in between. If not, this is probably one of the biggest unmeet needs of the translation industry.

Let me know if you find something. Good luck!

Hi Steffen,

I had a look at Frontlab as well because I saw someone had mentioned it on the SDL forum but as you said, it was discontinued.
At the moment the only tools I have tried are not great so hopefully, this will be looked into better in the future.

[Edited at 2020-10-30 14:19 GMT]

Karin Maack
Karin Maack  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Publishing Editors don't seem to know... Oct 30, 2020

I have been asked to translate an InDesign-file (a book with many pictures) directly in InDesign. I was wondering if I have missed something because I would also use an IDML-file and import it into my CAT-tool. But they don't want that because afterwards the pictures would be missing - meaning of course that they would have to put them back in. So I would have to copy the text back into each text field. The editor thought this was very time consuming and not very profitable for me (probably she ... See more
I have been asked to translate an InDesign-file (a book with many pictures) directly in InDesign. I was wondering if I have missed something because I would also use an IDML-file and import it into my CAT-tool. But they don't want that because afterwards the pictures would be missing - meaning of course that they would have to put them back in. So I would have to copy the text back into each text field. The editor thought this was very time consuming and not very profitable for me (probably she would be right) and she argues their other freelance translators would translate directly in InDesign. So I am not sure what to do, because the royalty would only be what I usually get for a book translation, on the other hand, I would really like to work on this project and perhaps get more of that sort in the future.Collapse

expressisverbis

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Try Scribus Oct 30, 2020

Sayeda Abdelrazik wrote:

I have imported an IDML on Trados but I can't see the preview. It says it's not available.

I had already tried to work on the language terminal as per the post you shared with me but the results are not great.

I am looking for something that gives you a real preview of how the original file looks like.

The latest stable version of Scribus (1.5.5) gives good results and better than Language Terminal in my experience. It's worth trying.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.5.5/scribus-1.5.5-windows-x64.exe/download

expressisverbis

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
A different perspective Oct 30, 2020

Karin Maack wrote:

... The editor thought this was very time consuming and not very profitable for me (probably she would be right) and she argues their other freelance translators would translate directly in InDesign. So I am not sure what to do...

I think the editor is right: there are times when you need to be able to work without CAT Tool and directly in the source file (a copy of...). Experience has shown me that you gain a lot in quality and efficiency. But it's true that I started translating a long time ago from paper documents, which is why it has never been a problem for me and even now.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Translating directly in InDesign Oct 30, 2020

Karin Maack wrote:

I have been asked to translate an InDesign-file (a book with many pictures) directly in InDesign. I was wondering if I have missed something because I would also use an IDML-file and import it into my CAT-tool. But they don't want that because afterwards the pictures would be missing - meaning of course that they would have to put them back in. So I would have to copy the text back into each text field. The editor thought this was very time consuming and not very profitable for me (probably she would be right) and she argues their other freelance translators would translate directly in InDesign. So I am not sure what to do, because the royalty would only be what I usually get for a book translation, on the other hand, I would really like to work on this project and perhaps get more of that sort in the future.

I did that in the past, translating directly in InDesign (It can be an option, no?), and I had the same issue with images. It was a user manual containing pictures.
It was better to do this directly.
I have a client who sends me idml files, but he handles the layout part. I translate, they edit!

Karin Maack
Karin Maack  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Copy of the indd-file Oct 30, 2020

Adrien Esparron wrote:

Karin Maack wrote:

... The editor thought this was very time consuming and not very profitable for me (probably she would be right) and she argues their other freelance translators would translate directly in InDesign. So I am not sure what to do...

I think the editor is right: there are times when you need to be able to work without CAT Tool and directly in the source file (a copy of...). Experience has shown me that you gain a lot in quality and efficiency. But it's true that I started translating a long time ago from paper documents, which is why it has never been a problem for me and even now.

So, you make a copy of the source file, have the source file open for reference and overwrite the source text in your copy? Why didn't I think of that before! Ok, you have just solved my problem. It's strange, I have got so used to using CAT-tools for translating longer texts I almost forgot that it is possible another way - although I translate birth certificates and the like from paper!

Steffen Kern
Steffen Kern
English to German
IDML & INDD Nov 2, 2020

@ Karin: As far as I know, IDML is only an exchange format. The actual InDesign file format is INDD. I had a very similar situation, in which the original text consisted of a lot of pictures and text boxes. The client initially had several hundreds of INDD files which contained single paragraphs or sometimes even single sentences (e. g. for image captions). Opening all or at least a part of them brought Trados to its knees. but the client was able to provide two IDML files containing the whole t... See more
@ Karin: As far as I know, IDML is only an exchange format. The actual InDesign file format is INDD. I had a very similar situation, in which the original text consisted of a lot of pictures and text boxes. The client initially had several hundreds of INDD files which contained single paragraphs or sometimes even single sentences (e. g. for image captions). Opening all or at least a part of them brought Trados to its knees. but the client was able to provide two IDML files containing the whole text. So I translated these and afterwards ran the INDD files against the TM, so that the client could reconstruct the document from the INDD files. That could be a solution. However, we ran into some problems, as I had delivered a work-in-progress text to better judge the text overflow (as you know, a German translation is longer than the English source text – which is actually what I wanted the IDML preview for) and in the final step, mysteriously, not all work-in-progress text had been overwritten by the final translation (actually, only one file was concerned by this, but it necessitated another check).Collapse

Sayeda Abdelrazik
Sayeda Abdelrazik
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Adrien, Nov 2, 2020

Adrien Esparron wrote:

Sayeda Abdelrazik wrote:

The latest stable version of Scribus (1.5.5) gives good results and better than Language Terminal in my experience. It's worth trying.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.5.5/scribus-1.5.5-windows-x64.exe/download

Thank you very much, I will check it out

Petr Lexa
Petr Lexa
English to Czech
+ ...
InDesign + Trados Aug 31, 2022

I am translating/localising a lot of InDesign files into Czech. If I understand well your question, it would be advantageous to generate a PDF in target language. When checking such PDF, you see also all pictures which stay in the file unchanged, just as they are in the original text. All corrections have to be done in the corresponding Trados project. Then, you generate the target translation and have a nice final InDesign file. It needs only some DTP work. Feel free to contact me...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating InDesign files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »