Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:10
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Excellent! May 11, 2017

Michal Fabian wrote:

If the recipient thinks it's spam, it's spam. Nothing to do with the sender at all.

I was going to repeat what distinguishes spam from regular mail in my opinion, but I've realized that your definition is a far better and useful one. Excellent!

[Edited at 2017-05-11 13:34 GMT]

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:10
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, that also is spam May 11, 2017

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I cannot tell about other countries, but using Bcc to send the same email to a set of people is illegal under our Data Protection Act. You would be the subject of hefty fines over here for that.

As for my personal opinion, what you plan to do is simple and plain spam. I would report such email as spam to blacklist services.

Lets turn this around. What about all those agencies that send bulkmails, starting with "Hi everybody" instead of "Hi Robert, are you available for...."?

Is that spam too?

[Edited at 2017-05-11 08:02 GMT]

Yes, that also is spam, and I got a filter for that also.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:10
German to English
+ ...
In my humble opinion, May 12, 2017

Nelson Yemeli wrote:

Dearest Colleagues,
I contact many translation agencies weekly to offer my services, sending the very same e-mail to different companies. I am now considering using blind carbon copies to contact as many agencies as possible with a single e-mail.
Please, kindly share your thoughts and ideas about this.
Thanks and regards,
Nelson

by sending such e-mails we position ourselves as beggars and no wonder that agencies treat us like beggars, who can't be choosers. No offense intended, but such practices are detrimental to our industry and all translators.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:10
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Mail = spam May 12, 2017

Erik Freitag wrote:

Michal Fabian wrote:

If the recipient thinks it's spam, it's spam. Nothing to do with the sender at all.

I was going to repeat what distinguishes spam from regular mail in my opinion, but I've realized that your definition is a far better and useful one. Excellent!

[Edited at 2017-05-11 13:34 GMT]

Glad we sorted that one out.:-)

[Edited at 2017-05-12 15:34 GMT]

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:10
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
You're most welcome. May 16, 2017

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Blind Carbon Copies (Bcc) to Contact Translation Agencies

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »