How to find ideal clients online? (for translators)
Thread poster: Nassima Nejjari
Nassima Nejjari
Nassima Nejjari
Canada
Local time: 01:42
Member (2023)
Arabic to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 8, 2020

How to find ideal clients online?

Here are some ways I used to contact my clients:

1. Website: One of the most important things is to have a professional website or blog because this will give you more visibility.

2. Strong presence in Social Media. Creating profiles in different social networks can help you enormously to get new customers.

3. Contact local, national, and international clients.
Think about the companies that might be inte
... See more

1. Website: One of the most important things is to have a professional website or blog because this will give you more visibility.

2. Strong presence in Social Media. Creating profiles in different social networks can help you enormously to get new customers.

Think about the companies that might be interested in your services and send them a personalized message. Send periodic emails and try to keep track of all the companies. If you have no answer, you can try it again by sending them an email asking politely if they received it.

4. Attending events helps greatly in building connections. This is essential when you are just starting out. But it is also important not to forget about your closest network. You need to make sure that everyone you meet knows what you do.

5. Create your personal brand. Find what makes you special and make it stand out.

And finally, let your imagination flow...Your creativity is your most powerful tool.
And don't forget that the beginning is always the hardest part, so don't give up!

Nassima Nejjari
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:42
German to English
+ ...
a question to this Oct 9, 2020

How do you define "ideal client"?

Nassima Nejjari
Nurettin Ceylan

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:42
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Nassima Oct 9, 2020

You only know for sure if a client is “ideal” after working with them for a while and even so things happen. Here’s an example: I worked for 15 years with a Belgian agency, interesting projects, good rate, invoices always paid on time, then suddenly projects got scarce, they started delaying payments and 5 years later the company went bust!

[Edited at 2020-10-09 07:30 GMT]

Nassima Nejjari
Sabrina Bruna
Mr. Satan (X)
Eric Azevedo

Nassima Nejjari
Nassima Nejjari
Canada
Member (2023)
Arabic to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maxi Schwarz Oct 9, 2020

Hi Maxi, Thank you for your comment.
Well... from my point of view, an ideal client is the one who from the first moment gives you the time you need, and does not stress you with tight deadlines, also is a person who pays you what you ask, even before starting the project.

Nurettin Ceylan

Nassima Nejjari
Nassima Nejjari
Canada
Member (2023)
Arabic to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Teresa Borges Oct 9, 2020

Hi Teresa,
Thank you for your comment.
I agree with you, sometimes is hard to know who is a real "ideal" client if you don´t work together. But, as I told Max for me an "ideal client" is the one who pays you even before starting to work and gives you the time you need for doing your work. However, as we all know there are exceptions to every rule.

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:42
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mmm... Oct 9, 2020

Nassima Nejjari wrote:
...for me an "ideal client" is the one who pays you even before starting to work...

I've yet to find clients prepared to pay upfront. Apart from scammers, that is.
So, better beware out there, do your due diligence and use your common sense instead.

IrinaN
expressisverbis
Eric Azevedo

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm sorry... Oct 9, 2020

Nassima Nejjari wrote:

Think about the companies that might be interested in your services and send them a personalized message. Send periodic emails and try to keep track of all the companies. If you have no answer, you can try it again by sending them an email asking politely if they received it.

4. Attending events helps greatly in building connections. This is essential when you are just starting out. But it is also important not to forget about your closest network. You need to make sure that everyone you meet knows what you do.

5. Create your personal brand. Find what makes you special and make it stand out.

And finally, let your imagination flow...Your creativity is your most powerful tool.
And don't forget that the beginning is always the hardest part, so don't give up!

Nassima Nejjari

... I don't understand this post.
Is it a question or a way of advertising yourself?
I could read this text in your blog/website. So what is the purpose to post it here?

I have the feeling I read something similar here a few months ago.

[Edited at 2020-10-09 14:02 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Jorge Payan

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
How to become a millionaire translating Oct 9, 2020

Nassima Nejjari wrote:

1. Website:

Never had one.

2. Strong presence in Social Media.

Don't do SM. I have the lousiest profile on Earth on LinkedIn only because I needed to find someone urgently (failed since that person cared about his profile as much as I do:-) ). Didn't open it in 4 months.

3. Contact local, national, and international clients. Think about the companies that might be interested in your services and send them a personalized message.

99% of "unsolicited solicitations", especially with the companies who do not make money by translation, usually go to a trash bin but if you have time...

4. Attending events helps greatly in building connections.

Nice chatting places. Those connections in your pair are your competitors.

My last job.

Nassima, what portion of your post comes from personal experience? These are all nice steps, especially for the beginner since the beginner usually has more time and desire to invest in websites, SM and events. There is nothing wrong with the initial exposure the way you suggest but I mean how did all those efforts convert into a reliable income so far? Did you try to balance investments (time and money) and dividends after 2 years to convince this audience?

Barbara is right - your description of ideal client fits scammer's description like a glove. Otherwise, there are no serious experienced people here who would agree that payment upfront with leisurely deadlines is a way of life in our business. This is but a sweet dream from the linguistic student's thesis. Some good old clients occasionally pay for urgent jobs next day or week without asking (emphasis on "old"), and this is pretty much it. There is a very limited range of cases when some upfront payment may and even should be requested and received, such as book translation, for example. Installment payments for jobs that take more than 2 weeks to a month+ to complete are more like it and, in fact, translators should/must take care of such arrangements before accepting the job. Then you should be submitting your invoice every 2 weeks upon submission of a job portion, if the project occupies all your time, and up to a month if the project allows you to remain comfortable with other jobs and payments, you trust the client 150% and enjoy drooling over the image of a guaranteed hefty check ahead:-).

I'm not sure how successful are those colleagues who attempt to request payments upfront from brand new clients. Somehow I believe that only those who can show a lot, and I mean a lot for themselves, who are sought after on a personal, not just "a translator" level and/or do not really care much about getting that client, would be doing it. Should a new client turn out to be a dream of every high-end translator in every aspect, name and reputation included, then by definition the translator will not be starting the relationship with demonstration of distrust.

My break is over:-)
Good luck!

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino
Jorge Payan

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Nassima Oct 9, 2020

I’ve been translating full-time for over 40 years and I’ve never had a client paying me before I even start translating nor do I want my customers to do that (what if I fall ill or die suddenly?). When I’m asked to translate very long projects I have occasionally asked to be paid in installments but that’s all. An ideal client for me is someone that sends me regular work and pays the day after receiving my invoice and I have two long-standing customers who have been doing exactly that…... See more
I’ve been translating full-time for over 40 years and I’ve never had a client paying me before I even start translating nor do I want my customers to do that (what if I fall ill or die suddenly?). When I’m asked to translate very long projects I have occasionally asked to be paid in installments but that’s all. An ideal client for me is someone that sends me regular work and pays the day after receiving my invoice and I have two long-standing customers who have been doing exactly that…

[Edited at 2020-10-09 19:39 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
IrinaN
Angie Garbarino
Barbara Carrara

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sandra Oct 9, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:
Is it a question or a way of advertising yourself?
I have the feeling I read something similar here a few months ago.

Yes, Nassima previously posted an identical post in the Money matters subforum, where it got removed for being off-topic. However, since her post is about marketing, I consider it on-topic here in Marketing for translators.

expressisverbis
Jorge Payan
Eric Azevedo

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Things change Oct 9, 2020

Nassima Nejjari wrote:

Well... from my point of view, an ideal client is the one who from the first moment gives you the time you need, and does not stress you with tight deadlines

The recurring client I've been working for usually gives very generous deadlines. But when things are busy, they would ask me to deliver the project faster than the usual time frame. And since I don't want to lose this client (which I'm really happy to work for BTW), I would just roll with it and I even tried to deliver it faster than they asked.

You will have to deal with tight deadlines one day, I can guarantee it.

[Edited at 2020-10-09 20:29 GMT]

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Samuel Oct 9, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Yes, Nassima previously posted an identical post in the Money matters subforum, where it got removed for being off-topic. However, since her post is about marketing, I consider it on-topic here in Marketing for translators.

Thanks.
I can't see the reason for copying and pasting something that is already reflected on your profile/website.
Probably, it is a new way of marketing yourself with more visibility. We all have our own methods, that's true.

Maxi Schwarz
German to English
+ ...
your answer, my comments Oct 10, 2020

Thank you for answering my question. I can't say that I have ever sought to find an "ideal client", even less in a specific place such as on-line, so I asked in order to get oriented. (I've been translation for several decades).
Nassima Nejjari wrote:

Hi Maxi, Thank you for your comment.
Well... from my point of view, an ideal client is the one who from the first moment gives you the time you need, and does not stress you with tight deadlines, also is a person who pays you what you ask, even before starting the project.

Ok. My clients do not "give me" time - I tell them how much time it will take, and they ask me by when I can have a job done. Since they are clients, i.e. customers, of course they pay the fee I cite because if they don't, I don't take them on as clients. My accountant and dentist work that way too: If I told them I want to pay them less than they charge, or control their schedule, they'd not accept me. That does not make me an ideal client or patient. When I work for agencies, I do not expect to be paid before start of project, and it's no kind of priority. Some of my end clients have paid me ahead of time, without me asking - one even did so before I hung up the phone after they called with a query.

You've left out some characteristics that I would consider "ideal". Above all, easy to work with and for. Well organized, clear about what they want; bring legible material; answer questions promptly; if an agency - doesn't have some complicated procedures they expect to be followed; pay on time without needing to be reminded .... i.e. "easy to work with". A complicated or disorganized client, especially a translation company that may think it leads the process, will interfere with your day and your work, including the work for your other clients. Time is money, and the time you spend sorting out messes is wasted time.

How to avoid this: often there are signs at the start of communications, and after a while you catch what they are. Other times you catch on after several interactions. Anyone can have an off-week, but repeated complicated behaviour is something else.

Those are my thoughts.

Maxi Schwarz
German to English
+ ...
on the list in the OP Oct 10, 2020

Nassima Nejjari wrote:

I do not have a web-site. I have clients. It cannot be the most important things. I am listed with my professional organization as a certified translator, however, and have built a reputation. I'd say that reputation is an important thing.

An end client who suddenly finds he or his company needs a translator, is unlikely to be hanging around your social network. I did not find my accountant on social media. I have often seen social media cited, and it's never made that much sense to me.

Think about the companies that might be interested in your services and send them a personalized message.

I did in fact do that when I started out. A small percentage of those I contacted sent me work, and a few of these have been loyal customers for several decades!

4. Attending events helps greatly in building connections. This is essential when you are just starting out.

I don't think I've ever done that. It might be a good idea, but may not be "essential". Can you say what types of events you attended which may have been especially fruitful?

"Brand" is a buzzword I keep reading and I'm never sure what that is. I'm a translator. I translate, at a professional level. I'm certified. I won't do work that I'm not qualified to do. That's it. Clients seem to like that. Maybe that's my brand.

Creativity, imagination, as well as competence and preparedness - yes.

Barbara Carrara
Asmaa Hussein
Jorge Payan
Mr. Satan (X)
Nataliia Gorina
Magdalena Legerska Brighetti

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find ideal clients online? (for translators)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »