What will be the price if I want to purchase a one year SMA for a MemoQ licence I bought long ago?
Thread poster: jyuan_us
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:44
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 28, 2017

I found this information on the MemoQ website:

"If you want to keep on upgrading your memoQ license and accessing technical support after the first year, you will need to renew your support and maintenance agreement (SMA) which is 20% of memoQ’s list price, and lasts for another year. Please do this once your SMA expires."

Suppose I bought my licence in May 2011 and the SMA expired in the end of April 2012. Thereafter, I never used the software, so naturally I have n
... See more

"If you want to keep on upgrading your memoQ license and accessing technical support after the first year, you will need to renew your support and maintenance agreement (SMA) which is 20% of memoQ’s list price, and lasts for another year. Please do this once your SMA expires."

Suppose I bought my licence in May 2011 and the SMA expired in the end of April 2012. Thereafter, I never used the software, so naturally I have never bought any additional annual SMA.

Now, if I want to resume the use of MemoQ, I guess I must buy an SMA before I can use it. Do you know how much it will cost to buy an SMA in a situation like this?
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:44
English to Italian
New license Aug 28, 2017

AFAIK, you would be asked to pay for all of the years from May 2012 to May 2018, that is to say, 6 years... It would be much cheaper to buy a new license (especially with the "usual" 40% discounts you can find around...).

P.S. From their website:

Once your support & maintenance contract expires (a year after each new purchase), you have two options:

• You choose to renew your support & maintenance contract for another year. This will cost you 20% of the l
... See more
AFAIK, you would be asked to pay for all of the years from May 2012 to May 2018, that is to say, 6 years... It would be much cheaper to buy a new license (especially with the "usual" 40% discounts you can find around...).

P.S. From their website:

Once your support & maintenance contract expires (a year after each new purchase), you have two options:

• You choose to renew your support & maintenance contract for another year. This will cost you 20% of the list price of the memoQ product you own at that time and will extend support & maintenance for a year.

• You choose not to renew:

- You are entitled to updates to the last version of memoQ you owned while still covered by the support & maintenance contract.

For example, someone who owns a memoQ 2014 R2 license is entitled to all memoQ 2014 R2 build updates, but nothing more.

- What if I want to upgrade to a newer version of memoQ and I'm not covered by a support & maintenance contract? -

You will need to pay for the "missing" support & maintenance period between your currently owned version and the new version you want.

http://kb.memoq.com/article/AA-00285/0/About-the-support-maintenance-contract.html

[Edited at 2017-08-28 16:27 GMT]
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:44
German to English
+ ...
I think this depends Aug 28, 2017

jyuan_us wrote:

Suppose I bought my licence in May 2011 and the SMA expired in the end of April 2012. Thereafter, I never used the software, so naturally I have never bought any additional annual SMA.

Now, if I want to resume the use of MemoQ, I guess I must buy an SMA before I can use it. Do you know how much it will cost to buy an SMA in a situation like this?

on your country. I live in Latvia and some days ago paid 150 EUR but I acquired the CAT tool a year ago. Regarding your situation, it's possible that you must buy a new license but I am not sure about it.

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:44
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
ELM licence Aug 28, 2017

jyuan_us wrote:

FYI, before paying for another full licence, most clients would offer you a so called ELM licence to work for them on specific projects. This is a sort of a temporary licence. In some cases it only works for the duration of the project. I think it would be a better option. I do not think I got my money's worth from the upgrades in the last 5-6 years... Obviously, it's just me

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your comments Aug 30, 2017

I was wondering why none of the MemoQ representative hasn't provided any feedback on this.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have another question: Aug 31, 2017

Is memoQ 6.0 capable of importing XLIFF files created by a higher version of memoQ, e.g., memoQ 2015?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It definitely pays to get a new license! Aug 31, 2017

(Yes, as others have pointed out, it will mean a new license for you. It is also fair, as those of us who have been paying the maintenance fee have sustained the progress of the tool, of which you would eventually benefit when you renew.)

I just wanted to say that it definitely pays to get a new license and then renew afterwards. MemoQ 8.1 (the current version) has a number of features compared to 6.0, and by paying the maintenance license, you will keep up to date with new developm
... See more
(Yes, as others have pointed out, it will mean a new license for you. It is also fair, as those of us who have been paying the maintenance fee have sustained the progress of the tool, of which you would eventually benefit when you renew.)

I just wanted to say that it definitely pays to get a new license and then renew afterwards. MemoQ 8.1 (the current version) has a number of features compared to 6.0, and by paying the maintenance license, you will keep up to date with new developments.

As for your question on XLIFF files, I am not 100% sure about whether memoQ bilingual files from 8.1 are compatible with 6.0, but in theory it should work. After all, memoQ's bilingual files are XLIFF files.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What will be the price if I want to purchase a one year SMA for a MemoQ licence I bought long ago?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »