MemoQ 8.2 - web search no longer based on IE ? CPU and Memory leaks, ads back
Thread poster: Michel4632
Michel4632
Michel4632
Local time: 12:14
Sep 15, 2017

Hello,

Has memoQ 8.2 web search been rewritten independantly from IE (Internet Explorer) engine ?

1) Despite scripts being blocked in IE, ads are back in my web search windows (linguee & others).
2) More importantly, opening a web search window creates very high CPU an RAM usage (up to 100%)

Both issues where not present with MemoQ 8.1.7 running the minute before...

Anyone noticed the same ? Is this a known issue ? Any workaround ?
... See more
Hello,

Has memoQ 8.2 web search been rewritten independantly from IE (Internet Explorer) engine ?

1) Despite scripts being blocked in IE, ads are back in my web search windows (linguee & others).
2) More importantly, opening a web search window creates very high CPU an RAM usage (up to 100%)

Both issues where not present with MemoQ 8.1.7 running the minute before...

Anyone noticed the same ? Is this a known issue ? Any workaround ?

Thanks
Michel
Collapse

Michel4632
Michel4632
TOPIC STARTER
Some info on the issue Sep 27, 2017

Here is what I found on Kilgray website : "We replaced Internet Explorer with the Chromium engine in the popular WebSearch window. Not only does it solve the notorious memory leak with sites like Linguee, but it has become a lot faster too!"

Sorry to say that the memory and CPU leaks with Linguee are not solved... (on the contrary, I experience them for the first time with the new version !).

How do we prevent ads in the chromium engine ?

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
memoQ Ltd statement about memoQ web search, Chromium, and Linguee Mar 14, 2019

Before memoQ 8.2, the web search feature in memoQ used the .NET Framework's built-in "WebBrowser control", which is practically equivalent to a stripped down early Internet Explorer version.

In version 8.2, we replaced this "built-in Internet Explorer" with Chromium, which is an "embeddable" version of Google's Chrome browser.

The main motivation was that the previous component was prone to "memory leaks", meaning that over time, while the user was working in memoQ, it
... See more
Before memoQ 8.2, the web search feature in memoQ used the .NET Framework's built-in "WebBrowser control", which is practically equivalent to a stripped down early Internet Explorer version.

In version 8.2, we replaced this "built-in Internet Explorer" with Chromium, which is an "embeddable" version of Google's Chrome browser.

The main motivation was that the previous component was prone to "memory leaks", meaning that over time, while the user was working in memoQ, it gradually consumed more and more system memory. Using the Linguee search engine quite reliably resulted in such a memory leak. Our understanding is that this is caused by a bug in the "WebBrowser control", a software module developed by Microsoft. This was a long standing and known defect, and we assumed Microsoft would never fix it, so we had to look for a solution elsewhere.

In terms of resource usage, using web search in memoQ 8.2 or later should be roughly equivalent to opening the same web pages in the Chrome web browser itself. One catch is that Chrome/Chromium is relatively resource hungry, so you might see higher initial memory usage with the new solution than with the old one. But the memory leak we knew about is solved, i.e. web search in memoQ 8.2 and later should not eat up your computer's memory over time.

In other words, if you used an older version of memoQ, web search started with just a small amount of memory used, but was very likely to bog your PC down over time, eventually forcing you to restart memoQ. With memoQ 8.2 or later, there is higher initial memory usage (which is inherent to the new technology we use), but the degradation over time is now fixed. Higher initial memory usage is controllable, i.e. in the worst case you can install more memory in your PC if it is causing an issue. A constant increase in memory use over time is not controllable. The new solution is also based on modern web browser technology, which is continually maintained.

Blocking ads was never a focus in the development of memoQ web search. I beleive it may have been possible somehow via Internet Explorer's option before, and not anymore since we introduced Chromium in web search. If you need to control what appears in a page in memoQ web search, you could install a proxy like Privoxy, set up filtering in the proxy, and tell memoQ to use that proxy. (This is just an unverified idea.)

[Edited at 2019-03-14 16:33 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:14
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
two questions about memoQ web search May 25, 2019

Hi Gergely,

In case you happen to be monitoring this still, is there a way to have memoQ web search remember login credentials between sessions? I have a couple of paid dictionary websites that work very well with memoQ web search (which is super handy), but every time I close the window I have to login again.

And about those ads again: it would be great if the memoQ team developed a way to use a simple ad blocker in the built in Chromium (ought to be relatively simple)
... See more
Hi Gergely,

In case you happen to be monitoring this still, is there a way to have memoQ web search remember login credentials between sessions? I have a couple of paid dictionary websites that work very well with memoQ web search (which is super handy), but every time I close the window I have to login again.

And about those ads again: it would be great if the memoQ team developed a way to use a simple ad blocker in the built in Chromium (ought to be relatively simple) since most of the free terminology look-up websites translators will be using are covered in ads, which is both annoying and uses more computer resources.

Michael
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:14
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
memoQ Ideas portal: "Have memoQ web search remember login credentials between sessions" Jan 2, 2023

I just created an Idea on the memoQ Ideas portal, called "Have memoQ web search remember login credentials between sessions". Please upvote if you would like to see it implemented!

https://ideas.memoq.com/ideas/PUBL-I-654

idea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 8.2 - web search no longer based on IE ? CPU and Memory leaks, ads back

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »