Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:15
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 19, 2017

Hello everyone

A client just sent me a job in the weirdest online CAT tool: MemoQ WebTrans.

From what I can see, there's no way to copy source to target (except by selecting the source text with your mouse, copying it tothe clipboard, and then pasting it to the target field), and there's no way to move from one segment to the next (except by clicking in the next segment with your mouse). This must be the dumbest online CAT tool I've ever seen.

Oh, and you
... See more
Hello everyone

A client just sent me a job in the weirdest online CAT tool: MemoQ WebTrans.

From what I can see, there's no way to copy source to target (except by selecting the source text with your mouse, copying it tothe clipboard, and then pasting it to the target field), and there's no way to move from one segment to the next (except by clicking in the next segment with your mouse). This must be the dumbest online CAT tool I've ever seen.

Oh, and you can "checkout" the project with MemoQ itself (if you have it), but only if you allow MemoQ to be launched via the browser.

What am I missing?

Samuel
Collapse

CD_Schuster
CD_Schuster
Germany
Local time: 14:15
German to English
+ ...
Check out in memoQ client Oct 30, 2017

Hi Samuel,

memoQ WebTrans is indeed very limited and I only use it for quickly checking a project etc. I believe it is still being developed, though. Also, I have found that its effectiveness varies depending on the browser you use. For me, Chrome works better than Firefox.

This will be too late for your project, but just to add to your last sentence:

You should be able to open the project directly in memoQ and work there by selecting "Project -> Check Out
... See more
Hi Samuel,

memoQ WebTrans is indeed very limited and I only use it for quickly checking a project etc. I believe it is still being developed, though. Also, I have found that its effectiveness varies depending on the browser you use. For me, Chrome works better than Firefox.

This will be too late for your project, but just to add to your last sentence:

You should be able to open the project directly in memoQ and work there by selecting "Project -> Check Out From Server" with the Server-URL and Login details being the same as the URL and Login details specified for WebTrans. Maybe aks your client, if this is fine with them, if they are providing you with a memoQ licence, as theyy may want you to work in memoQ WebTrans, in order to stay more flexible with their licenses.

Greetings,
Chris
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ WebTrans... what's the deal?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »