Thread poster: Kirill Loktionov
Kirill Loktionov
Kirill Loktionov
Hungary
Local time: 10:14
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 26, 2021

Hi! I got a huge list of expressions translated. Is there a way to import auto-translatables into MemoQ from text files? Excel maybe? .csv? Or to convert such files into .mqres for later import?

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Yes, export and reimport mqres Jan 26, 2021

Hi,

the quick and dirty answer is yes, you can do something like this (it was several years since I last tried, but should work fine):

- Create an auto-translation ruleset in memoQ with at least one entry
- Export as mqres file
- Prepare the entries that you want to import in the format shown in the screenshot (ruined when pasted into the topic body)

Skärmavbild 2021-01-26 kl. 18.44.30

If you know some regex, I guess you will be able to convert your current format to this format quite easily in a text editor. Otherwise you could use the =CONCATENATE function in Microsoft Excel to add the surrounding tags.

Then just paste your new rules into the mqres file in a text editor such as Notepad++ after the existing rule(s) and reimport.

Hope that helps!

/Johan

[Edited at 2021-01-26 17:45 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-01-26 17:46 GMT]

Grigori Gazarian
Kirill Loktionov

Kirill Loktionov
Kirill Loktionov
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Imported Jan 29, 2021

Thanks Johan! You did it. I had a two-column Excel file and the command =B1&A1 helped me. Though I had to think smth over and add extra symbols before, between, and after the translatables (using =""&B1&""&A1&"") for future replacement to suit the .mqres file 'operators'. Moreover, I had to change some symbols like < or & in the source as they are not allowed in regex at all I guess. MemoQ pointed at them during failed import.

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A more simple solution Oct 14, 2021

You should have your list as a single column in Excel.
Just insert an additional column both in the left and right side, then fill the left (first) column with and the right column with .
Select all, and paste them in your .mqres file as appropriate.
Finally, do a Search&Replace to remove unnecessary tabs and spaces.
You have to replace >(space) with > and (space)< with <
You may need to repeat this Search&Replace if you have triple. quadruple etc. spaces... unti
... See more
You should have your list as a single column in Excel.
Just insert an additional column both in the left and right side, then fill the left (first) column with and the right column with .
Select all, and paste them in your .mqres file as appropriate.
Finally, do a Search&Replace to remove unnecessary tabs and spaces.
You have to replace >(space) with > and (space)< with <
You may need to repeat this Search&Replace if you have triple. quadruple etc. spaces... until you get 0 instances replaced.

Sorry, this was for Non-translatables.
For Auto-translatables you can do something similar.

[Edited at 2021-10-14 17:32 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import of auto-translatable rules

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »