Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 8, 2019

Hello

I'm using the offline Memsource Editor. I've noticed that if I export as bilingual DOCX, and then import only part of that file, then only the part that I had imported is visible in the MemSource Editor. Does that mean that the rest of the file is gone? Or is it simply hidden? I'm hoping for the latter, otherwise I've just lost a lot of work. How can I view the rest of the file again? Or: how can I ensure that if I import a partial DOCX file, that the rest of the file re
... See more
Hello

I'm using the offline Memsource Editor. I've noticed that if I export as bilingual DOCX, and then import only part of that file, then only the part that I had imported is visible in the MemSource Editor. Does that mean that the rest of the file is gone? Or is it simply hidden? I'm hoping for the latter, otherwise I've just lost a lot of work. How can I view the rest of the file again? Or: how can I ensure that if I import a partial DOCX file, that the rest of the file remains intact? I don't want to import the entire DOCX file because it is quite large (it takes 10-20 minutes for MS Word to save it).

I'm fairly sure that the import process does not actually remove segments, because the MXLIFF file remains roughly the same size, and if I select "View original", it exports an original file that still contains the entire source text.

It was quite a nasty surprise, because what I did not know, is that MemSource Editor saves the MXLIFF file automatically after performing the import, so I could not simply exit without saving once I realised what had happened, and there is no "undo".

(Another unexpected result, which I discovered later in an attempt to make the hidden segments visible again, is that if you import a file containing segments with empty targets, those segments' translations get deleted from the MXLIFF file! I had expected the import procedure to skip over empty segments, but no... it actually deletes them.)

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2019-03-08 13:47 GMT]
Collapse

David Kis
David Kis
Hungary
Display whole file after partial DOCX import Mar 12, 2019

Hi Samuel,

Thank you for your question.

Basically, you cannot partly import a bilingual DOCX, the imported DOCX will overwrite your previous translation. Also please note that you have to be online in the moment of the upload.

Can you please contact us at https://help.memsource.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and sending your username and project URL? W
... See more
Hi Samuel,

Thank you for your question.

Basically, you cannot partly import a bilingual DOCX, the imported DOCX will overwrite your previous translation. Also please note that you have to be online in the moment of the upload.

Can you please contact us at https://help.memsource.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and sending your username and project URL? We will have a further look at the file.

Thanks.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@David Mar 12, 2019

David Kis wrote:
Basically, you cannot partly import a bilingual DOCX, ...

Can I assume that you mean "you can import a partial DOCX file, but if you do, then weird things happen, so don't do it"? I can definitely import a partial DOCX file successfully, but when I do, previously confirmed segments disappear from the editor (only empty segments after the imported portion, and the imported segments themselves, remain visible).

One possibility (but don't have time to test it) is that one might be able to import a partial file without losing any segments, if one first marks all existing segments as unconfirmed.

I suppose best practice is to simply export a new DOCX file every time just before you are about to import it, and then paste the updated text into the newly exported DOCX file. It's a pity the table gets split after every 1000 segments, though, (which makes pasting newly translated content more cumbersome) but I assume that that is due to limitations of the DOCX format or of MS Word.

Also please note that you have to be online in the moment of the upload.

Thanks, but my question relates specifically to importing and not to uploading.

(For the moment, it appears as if OmegaT reads and writes the MXLIFF file correctly, so I'm using that instead.)

David Kis
David Kis
Hungary
Display whole file after partial DOCX import Mar 25, 2019

Hi Samuel,

To say more, it would be great to see that file in question.

Feel free to contact the Memsource support if you need any further assistance. ([email protected])

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Display whole file after partial DOCX import

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »