Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Problems with agencies that don't pay: What can a freelancer do?
Thread poster: Jillian Pandor
Nilufer Koc
Nilufer Koc
Türkiye
Local time: 17:10
English to Turkish
+ ...
I worked with a Spanish agency that didn't pay me 10,000 Euros Mar 27, 2020

It's been years, and I tried everything but it didn't work. They just didn't reply, and I found out that they cheated many other translators in Turkey as well. The job was for General Electric, so I thought if they are working for a company like that, it can't be very bad. But I was wrong. It was back in 2012 I think, but I can't still forget it. I don't even remember their name unfortunately, otherwise I would have disclosed them here. I'm sorry to say it now but I haven't worked with a Spanish... See more
It's been years, and I tried everything but it didn't work. They just didn't reply, and I found out that they cheated many other translators in Turkey as well. The job was for General Electric, so I thought if they are working for a company like that, it can't be very bad. But I was wrong. It was back in 2012 I think, but I can't still forget it. I don't even remember their name unfortunately, otherwise I would have disclosed them here. I'm sorry to say it now but I haven't worked with a Spanish agency since then. (just to be on the safe side, I have nothing against Spanish people). But beware, and if anyone has a guess what that agency might be and tell me, I'll be happy to tell the world here what a scam they are.Collapse

farfan
farfan
English to Spanish
Agency in the UK not paying Apr 7, 2022

I am a freelance translator from Colombia who signed a Translation Services Agreement with a big agency in the UK. I performed work for them which they haven't paid (about 830 dollars), violating the terms of the agreement, which states:
“Fees shall be payable within thirty (30) days of receipt of Contractor’s complete and accurate invoice.”
I delivered the work on time, and it was of excellent quality, since I received an email from them stating this. I am worried that they wi
... See more
I am a freelance translator from Colombia who signed a Translation Services Agreement with a big agency in the UK. I performed work for them which they haven't paid (about 830 dollars), violating the terms of the agreement, which states:
“Fees shall be payable within thirty (30) days of receipt of Contractor’s complete and accurate invoice.”
I delivered the work on time, and it was of excellent quality, since I received an email from them stating this. I am worried that they will not pay. The contract states:
"This Agreement and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England and Wales. Each Party irrevocably agrees that the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any such dispute or claim."
Any suggestions?

I found out jn the internet that you can send a statutory demand. Any experience with this?
Thank you
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:10
Japanese to English
+ ...
agencies that don't pay Apr 8, 2022

Farfan, since the company has already said that they are satisfied with the quality, there can be no question of "dispute". It is moot.
You should become proactive with them. Send a certified letter requesting payment. See what a telephone call does. Then, exercise your legal rights. Proz.com has helped me in the past with payment problems. It wouldn't hurt to enlist their help in this case.

P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with agencies that don't pay: What can a freelancer do?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »