How much should I charge for proofreading and editing?
Thread poster: Anna1991
Anna1991
Anna1991
Netherlands
Local time: 19:49
English to Swedish
Oct 16, 2017

Hello,

From my question you might understand that I´m quite new to this, especially proofreading/editing. I have been asked what my hourly rate for proofreading/editing will be and I am not sure as to what the standard rate is. Since I am new to this, I don´t want to ask too high, but then neither too low... I have found that proofreading is mostly charged per word, but the company pays only by the hour, and I have found price range anywhere from 20 to 40 euros. And I live in the
... See more
Hello,

From my question you might understand that I´m quite new to this, especially proofreading/editing. I have been asked what my hourly rate for proofreading/editing will be and I am not sure as to what the standard rate is. Since I am new to this, I don´t want to ask too high, but then neither too low... I have found that proofreading is mostly charged per word, but the company pays only by the hour, and I have found price range anywhere from 20 to 40 euros. And I live in the Netherlands if this makes a difference. Could anyone please give me a hint? And furthermore, should I include VAT in the hourly price or not?

Thank you
Collapse

Miriam Pierro-Ross
Miriam Pierro-Ross
Israel
Local time: 20:49
English to Italian
rates Oct 18, 2017

Hi,

I'm fairly new in the field too (8 years), and for proofreading 20/30 Euro an hour, 40 is pretty good, is the standard, or around 0.03 euro per word, sometimes little more if is technical.

Or at least it's what I got paid.....

Have a nice day!

Miriam

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much should I charge for proofreading and editing?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »