Thread poster: Irina Kaspirovich
Irina Kaspirovich
Irina Kaspirovich
United States
Local time: 05:35
French to German
+ ...
Sep 16, 2018

I am about to deposit my CV at the local jobcentre on the off chance that they might have some work for me.
Should I state my rates on the CV? Or would those looking for a translator have to come to me with an offer?

I am not sure which sub-forum this belongs in, my excuses if this is the wrong one.

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:35
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No rates Sep 16, 2018

I wouldn't put the rates in your CV.
Much better, if someone contacts you for a translation on the basis of having seen your CV, to have a conversation that establishes a) that they have a project that you are at all interested in; and b) how brilliant you would be for their project.
Then, but only then, when they are at least a bit hooked, it becomes time to discuss money.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Morano El-Kholy
Michele Fauble
Yvonne Gallagher
Anna Augustin
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
definite Sep 16, 2018

If you know your absolute bottom, then it makes sense to filter unnecessary people/negotiations right from the start, saving the time and efforts for both parties. Quite fair and sensible, yes?

However, it's better to do on a case-by-case basis, considering the client/company vision and requirements--enclosing the cover letter and portfolio, where appropriate.

Valérie Ourset

Irina Kaspirovich
Irina Kaspirovich
United States
Local time: 05:35
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice! Sep 16, 2018

I've never put rates on a CV before, but with every website you apply to asking upfront, I had second thoughts.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:35
English to French
+ ...
Contact direct customers Sep 16, 2018

If I were you, I would contact German banks and financial companies, in the USA (those are likely to all be located in NYC) and in Germany, directly.

You may also want to attend the ATA Conference, which takes place in New Orleans next month (see: http://www.atanet.org/conf/2018/). There are always plenty of translation agencies who are always eager to collect business cards and CVs, not t
... See more
If I were you, I would contact German banks and financial companies, in the USA (those are likely to all be located in NYC) and in Germany, directly.

You may also want to attend the ATA Conference, which takes place in New Orleans next month (see: http://www.atanet.org/conf/2018/). There are always plenty of translation agencies who are always eager to collect business cards and CVs, not that this may lead to work in the future.

The above are more likely to lead to work than the local work center, whatever state you live in.
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:35
French to English
CV and rates are two separate things Sep 16, 2018

A CV provides potential clients of an idea of what experience you have. It is not a commercial document.
Rates are best kept for negotiation, which is done in many ways, but not via a CV.

Andy Watkinson
Yolanda Broad
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
sam@fr-uk
Vera Schoen

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Biz is risks: respect your time, money, efforts... and others' Sep 17, 2018

First, what is the real purpose of a CV/a cover letter/interview?
Second, doesn't its content depend on a specific client/company/country?
Third, should senders usually mention specific Objective/desired salary/work exp/total compensation package and so on?
Fourth, is it better to make it clearpurpose of a CV/a cover letter/interview?
Second, doesn't its content depend on a specific client/company/country?
Third, should senders usually mention specific Objective/desired salary/work exp/total compensation package and so on?
Fourth, is it better to make it clear for both parties from the very beginning or after lengthy and evasive interview mishaps? And how much is "negotiable" exactly?
Fifth, besides having a general CV, should one research specific targets and prepare tailored CVs?
. . .

Indeed, every word and decision may appear a intercultural minefield, but it's no use sending a CV to one, when it's obvious they can't pay even your minimum, nor could compensate it--why wasting time and efforts? If there's nothing to discuss, then it's but a dead-end offer. I would just provide my average rates, comparing several offers and amending the terms and conditions to my liking too. Shortly, when there's relevant specific data in the CV, the HR can clearly see that you've spent at least some time researching the company and the market segment. It may prove you're aware of your worth--a 'higher' rate and preferences, not just another timid cheap junk agreeing on any low-ball offer. While "look who is talking" syill works, yet it's not always about WHAT is said, but rather HOW... In a case of deadlock, remember to say politely 'No, thank you!', walking away.

How about a couple of experiments?)
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:35
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Richer ProZ Profile Sep 17, 2018

I agree with the comments made above, i.e. you should not put your rates on your CV/resume. Having said that, I took the liberty to look at your ProZ profile. I think you should work on ProZ profile to make it richer in information. A potential client looking at your ProZ profile should have a certain opinion regarding who Irina is so that he/she can go ahead, and contact you directly.

Jessica Noyes

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
Local time: 12:35
German to English
+ ...
nobody reads 'em Sep 17, 2018

Irina Kaspirovich wrote:

I am about to deposit my CV at the local jobcentre on the off chance that they might have some work for me.
Should I state my rates on the CV? Or would those looking for a translator have to come to me with an offer?

I am not sure which sub-forum this belongs in, my excuses if this is the wrong one.

I put my rate in, when I created my first "Translating CV" a couple of years ago ("from 0.x/subject to confirmation"), but as far as I can tell nobody reads it anyway. They thank me for my CV, ask me for my rate, debate it, ... I took it out again just recently.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I state my rates on my CV?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »