Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Well, the BB won't work in this case Nov 12, 2019

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

The others have given good advice. You should let Proz know about the issue - outsourcers can be banned from posting jobs due to non-payment, also no agency wants a blemish on a good record.

The problem with making an entry in the BB is that (according to the rules of the BB) you cannot enter a comment if the client raised quality claims.

Peter van der Hoek
Peter van der Hoek
Spain
Local time: 11:05
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, but..... Nov 13, 2019

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

The others have given good advice. You should let Proz know about the issue - outsourcers can be banned from posting jobs due to non-payment, also no agency wants a blemish on a good record.

The problem with making an entry in the BB is that (according to the rules of the BB) you cannot enter a comment if the client raised quality claims.

The question is how serious the quality issue can be taken since the project was cancelled immediately after delivery.

If this in fact true, it raises the question whether the agency actually had time to revise a 40000-word document.

It seems like they panicked once the translation was delivered and informed the translator that the project was cancelled (which they had probably just heard from their client) stating quality issues as the reason.

Georgi Kovachev

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
You should prove it Nov 13, 2019

123Translations wrote:

The question is how serious the quality issue can be taken since the project was cancelled immediately after delivery.

Mohd: A screenshot of your offline email client or web client may prove it by the timestamps (when exactly the project was sent and when you received their reply).
And is your client based in your country or in a country abroad, where it will be difficult, if not impossible for you, to take legal actions? Smells like a scam all in all.

[Bearbeitet am 2019-11-13 09:48 GMT]

Josephine Cassar
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Peter van der Hoek
Peter van der Hoek
Spain
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I agree Nov 13, 2019

Matthias Brombach wrote:

123Translations wrote:

Mohd: A screenshot of your offline email client or web client may prove it by the timestamps (when exactly the project was sent and when you received their reply).
And is your client based in your country or in a country abroad, where it will be difficult, if not impossible for you, to take legal actions? Smells like a scam all in all.

[Bearbeitet am 2019-11-13 08:52 GMT]

I agree, but the post seems to be directed at me, and I am not the OP.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sure? Nov 13, 2019

Matthias Brombach wrote:

123Translations wrote:
I agree, but the post seems to be directed at me, and I am not the OP.

[Bearbeitet am 2019-11-13 09:50 GMT]

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 10:05
Japanese to English
Impostor? Nov 13, 2019

Mohd Hamzah wrote:

They actually have quite good Blueboard record.

Scammers will occasionally impersonate a good agency, score free work from translators and then vanish into the blue with the money. Was the job really from the agency in question, and not from someone claiming to be from them? Check the email and IP address carefully.

Georgi Kovachev
Sheila Wilson

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 12:05
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Claim the copyright on the translation Nov 14, 2019

Non-payment entails no copyright on the translation. Agencies usually include a clause in their contract that the copyright is transferred upon delivery. I always amend it to read that the copyright is to be transferred upon payment.

Yolanda Broad

Sascha van der Mark
Sascha van der Mark  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Igmi? Feb 13, 2020

Let me guess: igmi?

Mohd Hamzah wrote:

They issued the quality and as translator, I am opened for amendment and editing. In addition the domain was Arts and Creative. Instead of discussion etc, they decided to cancel it; and of course they do not pay.

[Edited at 2019-11-12 11:31 GMT]

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Chinese to French
+ ...
Never happened Feb 13, 2020

Mohd Hamzah wrote:

Hello everybody.

I hope you are all doing well. I would like to ask you all, what you will do when your client cancelled the project that you just completed and submit to them? The wordcount is also huge which is more than 40k.

Thanks in advance to you all for sharing your thought.

Hi there,
Never happened to me, because for agencies it's pretty simple: they would suit the client and still pay me for the job. About private clients, for such amount of work, I always request to be paid in two terms 50-50. And, of course, my clients are very smart LOL.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Very vague. Feb 14, 2020

What type of quality issues, can you give us an example? For 40k worth project, they must have provided at least one example.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Language pair Feb 14, 2020

What was the language pair? Has the agency provided any evidence of their quality complaint being based upon the judgement of a person with expertise in either or both of the source and target languages?

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
Japanese to English
+ ...
client cancelled the project Feb 15, 2020

This is why purchase orders/contracts on letterhead are so important.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes but also.. Feb 15, 2020

For a first time client, I would break it down to 20k milestones (at least). Just basic risk management. Btw, this topic dates back from November, not sure if it’s still relevant.

[Edited at 2020-02-15 10:02 GMT]

Sheila Wilson

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 10:05
Japanese to English
Just November Feb 18, 2020

Well November isn't all that long ago. Some feedback on whether the client was genuine and whether they were able to work things out would be nice.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client cancelled the project right after your delivery

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »