Thread poster: Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Feb 17, 2020

Thank you for taking the time.

I'm familiar with the advertising potential jobs practice. What I actually said was, I found the fact that she took the time to get back to me and say what she said odd, especially it not being an application for an actual but a potential job.

I might be wrong, but I do still find it odd.

If it weren't an attempt to get me to lower my rates, then they have a criminally bad person reviewing the work done in my language pair -
... See more
Thank you for taking the time.

I'm familiar with the advertising potential jobs practice. What I actually said was, I found the fact that she took the time to get back to me and say what she said odd, especially it not being an application for an actual but a potential job.

I might be wrong, but I do still find it odd.

If it weren't an attempt to get me to lower my rates, then they have a criminally bad person reviewing the work done in my language pair - as there was nothing wrong with my translation, on the contrary.

Maybe I should have inquired what exactly wasn't up to their standards in my translation, but the thing is, this was such a nonsensical claim that I really don't even care to work with these people and whomever is their "my language pair" quality check person.

I will take note of everything else you kindly took the time to share here for my benefit.

Edit: I don't give discounts based on fuzzy matches. I don't really know what the agency assumed, but I never agreed to any sort of discount, fuzzy match discount or otherwise.

Due to the nature of this particular project all the fuzzy matches had to be heavily edited anyway, but even if that wasn't the case, I don't give discounts of this sort. If the agency has software that can do the job without them relying on my knowledge, talent, and experience, well, they can do just that - use the software alone.

[Edited at 2020-02-17 15:04 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:46
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Don't be too excited Feb 17, 2020

You are young and one night without sleep will not hurt you, but don't make it a habit. Do not except overtight deadlines, not even if they promise more money. Next time they will want even tighter deadlines. You cannot win there.
We all had our share of bad luck with agencies, send them your invoice and wait if they pay or not.

Josephine Cassar
Korana Lasić

Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Heinrich Feb 17, 2020

Oh, I wish I was excitable when it comes to things like these. Instead, I find it rather depressing. (The chaotic way in which the business was conducted and the way we don't really have any proper legal leverage over unethical agencies if they don't honour their side of the bargain. Sure in theory we do but in practical terms hmmm....)

I quite liked the overnight deadline, wasn't complaining about it at all. Though, now that I'm in my 40s I do need my beauty sleep more than I used
... See more
Oh, I wish I was excitable when it comes to things like these. Instead, I find it rather depressing. (The chaotic way in which the business was conducted and the way we don't really have any proper legal leverage over unethical agencies if they don't honour their side of the bargain. Sure in theory we do but in practical terms hmmm....)

I quite liked the overnight deadline, wasn't complaining about it at all. Though, now that I'm in my 40s I do need my beauty sleep more than I used to. =) I also charged her having the very short deadline in mind. Also, and I'm pretty sure this isn't a compliment to how this PM does her job, but she was rather "good" when it came to extending the deadlines. The other person working on the project hadn't even started the work at the time when I had finished my part, and we started off with the same deadline.

I was really trying to avoid saying this because I've been a freelance translator for 5 minutes and might be just culture-shocked and not used to the pace at, and the way things are done but this woman wouldn't work for me for very long. It really is a mystery to me why an agency that seems perfectly reputable and profitable keeps her round?

Anyway, thank you for your input. I think we've exhausted the topic at this point. I've billed them and asked for a confirmation that they received the invoice first thing in the morning. She hasn't replied at all and it is now 16:32 CET, and we are in the same time zone. I find that quite unprofessional and depressing. This isn't a matter of getting paid anymore, I simply cannot imagine this is how some people do business.

Anyway, this will either be some growing pains I will look back on very fondly, in a few years as an established freelance translator with regular agencies to work with, or I will go and do something else. Only time will tell. I've really been in this so very briefly it's too soon to have a definite opinion on anything.

I do thank you all from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to sort me out. Cheers everyone.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What am I doing wrong

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »