Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Is transparency a requirement for agency rate policies?
Thread poster: Catherine Pawlick
Catherine Pawlick
Catherine Pawlick
United States
Local time: 13:46
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
agree Feb 25, 2020

Annie Sapucaia wrote:

Catherine Pawlick wrote:

Dan, but agreeing to a certain rate is part of a contractual obligation. Saying we will give you work if you give us X rate, that is a contract (in writing, in this case). And isn't responsiveness part of a professional rating, just as paying on time is? Surely the extent of blue board ratings is not just "they paid me as promised on time/at some point)? It has to do with communication, respect, etc, many other qualities as well, at least it seems to me to be so.

I believe BB is solely about paying on time as promised, but if you go to Payment Practices, you can write comments about your interaction with the agency, and that might make more sense in this case, as yes, getting paid on time is definitely NOT the only consideration I would make when working with an agency.

I would let this agency go - I certainly would not lower my rates. Whatever their issue is, they do have a right to stop giving you work, just as you have a right to stop working with them (I agree, the lack of transparency is infuriating, but the only solution to this is to dump them if you can't handle how they operate). And do you really want work from these people if they asked you to halve your rate after ten years of working with them?? If I accepted that, I'd just be resentful every time I did a job, and that's not a great way to feel running your own business.

I completely agree. I've already let them go in practice, as the sour taste would never go away if I cut my rates further. I was curious the principles behind all this, am glad to see/hear that many share my point of view at least.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:46
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Tom, are you sure? Feb 25, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

I presume that's because the other translators are just as good as me, but cheaper

What I am meaning to say is: Are you sure that your job is taken over by other translators and not by copywriters?

I had a good direct client who all of a sudden went silent, so I contacted them. They told me that they were working now with a Dutch communication agency, which can deliver the whole product (= from scratch to brochure/website etc.).

So I called this communication agency and proposed a collaboration. I found out they don't do translations anymore. My former client sends them input, and their copywriters do the rest.

I had a look at the quality, and it is really OK.

This might also be the case in your situation.

[Edited at 2020-02-25 20:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-02-25 20:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-02-25 20:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-02-25 20:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-02-25 20:47 GMT]

Dunia Cusin

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
Japanese to English
+ ...
Transparency Feb 25, 2020

Blacklisting can be a two-way street. One agency keeps offering me ten quid jobs. I retort with things like: "Sorry? April Fool's is several months away". One agency used to give me a lot of work. Then crickets for about two years. Last week they popped up and "offered" me a $7 job. I responded: "Why the @#$*&? would I want to take a $7 job". The profession has changed very much over the past several years and now most of my clients are direct. I have lost several good clients over the past fe... See more
Blacklisting can be a two-way street. One agency keeps offering me ten quid jobs. I retort with things like: "Sorry? April Fool's is several months away". One agency used to give me a lot of work. Then crickets for about two years. Last week they popped up and "offered" me a $7 job. I responded: "Why the @#$*&? would I want to take a $7 job". The profession has changed very much over the past several years and now most of my clients are direct. I have lost several good clients over the past few years. They just disappeared.
This can be a brutal business and you have to be resilient and learn to deal with rejection.
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:46
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
It cuts both ways Feb 26, 2020

Michael Newton wrote:
Blacklisting can be a two-way street.

Agreed. The members of this forum would be having kittens if the original question had been about an agency hounding a freelancer with demands to explain why the freelancer's rates are so high, and insisting on a response in multiple communications over a period of months. Framing such behaviour as normal or reasonable simply because the perpetrator is a freelancer rather than an agency is wrong.

I say that not because I want to have a pop at the original poster, for whom I have no little sympathy, but because some freelancers don't have a good grasp on what behaviour is acceptable and what is not. If you read the first post in this thread carefully and didn't wince at the way it all unfolds, you should probably reflect on what you think you know about how businesses (and indeed people) work.

Don't do things like this. Don't chase agencies relentlessly if they decide not to work with you. Don't argue with them when you haven't got a legal leg to stand on. If I were a PM at an agency I would never again deal with a freelancer who badgered me like this. If I were a PM at an agency and I came across this post on the ProZ.com forum, I would make a mental note to avoid this freelancer. I can't find anything constructive about this entire episode. Am I the only one who sees this?

Maybe the agency was rude, maybe not, but in commerce there will always be bruising encounters and experiences. Outside the strict confines of a contract - which doesn't seem to apply here - you cannot insist that others behave in a way that you find congenial. You cannot harass them into doing things the way you would like them to do things. That's the lesson here, along with the need to avoid dependency on one client.

What you can do is terminate your interactions with people you don't want to work with. Ironically, that seems to be what the agency has done in this case: it has decided that it will no longer engage.

Dan

Philippe Etienne
Jan Truper
The Misha
Thomas T. Frost
Vera Schoen
Michele Fauble
Fiona Grace Peterson

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I noticed ... Feb 26, 2020

... something in the original post:

+++
This would not have been a big deal except that the previous volumes were high enough that it makes a huge impact and was noticeable.
+++

Noticeable to the agency too. I also know a few insiders at two places, and some outfits have a long-term strategy. Over a long period they give high-volume people even more volume, so they are working all the time with them. All well and good, but meanwhile they're grooming other, c
... See more
... something in the original post:

+++
This would not have been a big deal except that the previous volumes were high enough that it makes a huge impact and was noticeable.
+++

Noticeable to the agency too. I also know a few insiders at two places, and some outfits have a long-term strategy. Over a long period they give high-volume people even more volume, so they are working all the time with them. All well and good, but meanwhile they're grooming other, cheaper translators for when the time comes.

They keep an eye on invoice number sequences, too. Say you issued your monthly invoice to them as number 123, and then maybe 127, then 134 ... this tells them you still have other customers, whereupon they up the workload until they see the invoice numbers getting closer together, showing that you are working less and less with others. When suddenly you're issuing number 212, then 214, then 216, then 217, then 218, more or less consecutive over a prolonged period, they know the translator has been ditching others for them and is now vulnerable. And then they start using the other cheaper translators. After a few months, having burnt quite a few boats with other customers, the translator may come begging.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Invoice numbering Feb 26, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

They keep an eye on invoice number sequences, too. Say you issued your monthly invoice to them as number 123, and then maybe 127, then 134 ... this tells them you still have other customers....

There are ways of numbering your invoices that never give your clients any idea of how many invoices you are issuing overall. From a business viewpoint, this is very important.

Some useful info on invoice numbering:

https://tinyurl.com/rw727q9

[Edited at 2020-02-26 10:07 GMT]

Vera Schoen

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Right, Tom Feb 26, 2020

But people don't do it because they don't expect twisted thinking.

Tom in London

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 06:46
Russian to English
+ ...
Man, have you discovered a conspiracy here!!! Feb 26, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

They keep an eye on invoice number sequences, too. Say you issued your monthly invoice to them as number 123, and then maybe 127, then 134 ... this tells them you still have other customers, whereupon they up the workload until they see the invoice numbers getting closer together, showing that you are working less and less with others. When suddenly you're issuing number 212, then 214, then 216, then 217, then 218, more or less consecutive over a prolonged period, they know the translator has been ditching others for them and is now vulnerable. And then they start using the other cheaper translators. After a few months, having burnt quite a few boats with other customers, the translator may come begging.

But what about vile buggers like yours truly here who use a separate invoice sequence for each of his or her clients? Now, that would through a monkey wrench into that whole thing. Serves them schemers right, eh?:)))

Tom in London

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
@Tom Feb 26, 2020

[quote]Dan Lucas wrote:

Michael Newton wrote:
Framing such behaviour as normal or reasonable simply because the perpetrator is a freelancer rather than an agency is wrong.

you cannot insist that others behave in a way that you find congenial.

If I may, I think that the heart of the problem is also because of the general behaviour of agencies nowadays. If an agency stops sending you work, there's nothing much you can do and it's within the parameters of the contract, that's true. But it is now harder than ever to find agencies that pay decent rates, and they're always asking translators to cut rates even more. This wouldn't be that much of a problem if translators could at least expect to live off of their work.

I recently read a report stating that on in five translators only make 5000$ or less per year (hello!) while another good chunk are just able to make ends meet, and that's a bit terrifying. If conditions, globally, were less negative for translators as a whole, experiences such as the one in this thread wouldn't feel as insulting.

tl;dr: While it's true that agencies can do "what they want", it's seen as overkill in an industry that's already hard on translators.

[Modifié le 2020-02-26 10:37 GMT]

Mina Chen

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Me too Feb 26, 2020

The Misha wrote:

But what about vile buggers like yours truly here who use a separate invoice sequence for each of his or her clients? Now, that would through a monkey wrench into that whole thing. Serves them schemers right, eh?:)))

That's what I do. Welcome to the conspiracy!

Jocelin Meunier
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Catherine Pawlick
Catherine Pawlick
United States
Local time: 13:46
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not about failure to use services Feb 26, 2020

Dan Lucas wrote:

I say that not because I want to have a pop at the original poster, for whom I have no little sympathy, but because some freelancers don't have a good grasp on what behaviour is acceptable and what is not. If you read the first post in this thread carefully and didn't wince at the way it all unfolds, you should probably reflect on what you think you know about how businesses (and indeed people) work.

Don't do things like this. Don't chase agencies relentlessly if they decide not to work with you. Don't argue with them when you haven't got a legal leg to stand on. If I were a PM at an agency I would never again deal with a freelancer who badgered me like this. If I were a PM at an agency and I came across this post on the ProZ.com forum, I would make a mental note to avoid this freelancer. I can't find anything constructive about this entire episode. Am I the only one who sees this?

Maybe the agency was rude, maybe not, but in commerce there will always be bruising encounters and experiences. Outside the strict confines of a contract - which doesn't seem to apply here - you cannot insist that others behave in a way that you find congenial. You cannot harass them into doing things the way you would like them to do things. That's the lesson here, along with the need to avoid dependency on one client.

I am sorry, Dan, if you feel that I was "harrassing" or "badgering" an agency when I sent one email (to various people but it was 1 message not 5 and not 10) -- and it was not asking about why they were not working with me, but trying to find the contact to lower my rates in the database-- and waited calmly for 5 months with no response. To me that's not badgering. It's a normal business email.

I never wrote anyone asking why they were not working with me. I knew why at the outset.

My letter (snail mail) contained different content, sent to different people and perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it as it confuses matters. But I included it because it again reflected the long delay in response that this agency now takes (which they did not do when I onboarded, or in the first 8 years working with them). That letter was ALSO NOT about why they were not working with me.

As a side note about rates, the other agencies I have worked with have a very simple approach. If you want, you email the contact and say " I want to change my rate from X to Y". They change it. It's up to you if you get work or not. You can change it every day if you want, or never. But it's not a secret who to contact for the change, and the replies are instant. So in comparison, considering the "reputation" of this one client publicly, it's kind of shocking that everything is lost in the ether these days, which also reflects part of their internal turmoil of late.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Litmus test: was it constructive or not? Feb 27, 2020

Catherine Pawlick wrote:
I am sorry, Dan, if you feel that I was "harrassing" or "badgering" an agency when I sent one email (to various people but it was 1 message not 5 and not 10)

I appreciate your measured response to what you probably feel are unnecessarily harsh comments. I also accept that what is deemed to be "badgering" will vary from person to person. Nevertheless, I suspect that the agency's interpretation of the matter is a lot less generous than your own, and closer to my (rather severe) take.

That is, given the number of contact points (irrespective of the precise content) over an extended span of time - and the fact that multiple people were involved does matter, because you are soaking up their collective time and attention - I imagine that the company now regards you as a vexatious individual. If you haven't got a response from a client within a few days, it's not going to happen and pursuing the matter further is only going to make things worse. What does it matter if you win the battle, if the war is subsequently lost?

Circling back to the question posed in your original post, no, transparency is not a requirement. In any case, insisting that a client shares its private thinking with you is counter-productive. First, they can and will ignore you. Second, if this client is roiled by some kind of internal reorganisation, as some have inferred, then we might see personnel leaving for other agencies. They will take with them memories of which freelancers were easy or hard to work with.

I stand by my earlier comments. I can't see anything positive emerging from this tale of one freelancer's dogged refusal to step back from the brink, except perhaps this thread. It might serve as feedback for you on whether certain ways of interacting with clients are constructive or not, and I hope it serves others as a cautionary tale. Don't chase clients if things go awry. Don't try to occupy their head space. Don't insist that they give you an account of their behaviour. Don't, when they do occur, dwell on the inevitable falling-outs.

I swallow any residual chagrin, smile politely if a little frostily, then grit my teeth and get back to work. Move on. Move up. It's no easier for me than it is for you, but it's the path of least damage to everything but one's pride.

Dan

The Misha
Oleksandr Ivanov
Fiona Grace Peterson
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
P.L.F. Persio

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:46
French to Chinese
+ ...
Oriental wisdom Feb 28, 2020

Dan Lucas wrote:

I swallow any residual chagrin, smile politely if a little frostily, then grit my teeth and get back to work. Move on. Move up. It's no easier for me than it is for you, but it's the path of least damage to everything but one's pride.

Dan

I am sorry to break off... but these words are so similar to those oriental wisdoms from my papa's night stories

And when I have a look at which language pair Dan is working on...BINGO.

Sorry again, we may get back to the original post now. @~@

Dan Lucas

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
This sums everything up perfectly Feb 28, 2020

Dan Lucas wrote:

It sounds like they no longer want to work with you, so they're not responding. You're refusing to accept that and are demanding that they answer your questions. Just imagine what Blue Board would be like if not responding to inquiries or not working with freelancers became commonplace:

"I emailed Agency ABC with my CV, offering to work with them. They didn't respond. This is very unprofessional, so I gave them a 1 rating."

That kind of feedback wouldn't useful to me as a user of the Blue Board. It would make the whole thing unworkable.

I understand that you're unhappy, and that you feel hard done by, but you're potentially trying to penalise another business because they're not acting in accordance with your expectations outside the context of a transaction or an ongoing contract. You don't have the legal right to demand that they comply with your expectations of good behaviour, and while you might feel you have a moral right, the attempt to exercise that purported right clearly isn't helping you financially or emotionally. The world is full of disappointing clients. It's time to move on.

Michael's comments from earlier in the thread are spot on: "Please don't spend anymore of your valuable time on these reprobates. Look for new clients and don't put all your eggs in one basket."

I see nothing sinister in this entire affair. This is how the translation industry operates nowadays. Luckily we have choices. Just as this agency is no longer willing to pay your rates, I am sure there are many others who are.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Sad state of affairs... Feb 28, 2020

welcome to the nasty world of business.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is transparency a requirement for agency rate policies?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »