Aleksandra Kulej-Jeske
Aleksandra Kulej-Jeske  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:10
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 27, 2020

Hello!
Have any of you recovered your outstanding payment from US located company?
At first they were paying, the cooperation was correct. I don't know what happened next. They've owed me almost $ 3,000 for several years now. I have sent countless emails to them. In addition, they are brazenly sending me new job offers.
Their headquarters is in the USA. I will gladly pay for legal assistance, debt collection company, anything.
It's amazing that such scammers are still abl
... See more
Hello!
Have any of you recovered your outstanding payment from US located company?
At first they were paying, the cooperation was correct. I don't know what happened next. They've owed me almost $ 3,000 for several years now. I have sent countless emails to them. In addition, they are brazenly sending me new job offers.
Their headquarters is in the USA. I will gladly pay for legal assistance, debt collection company, anything.
It's amazing that such scammers are still able to run their business. They have several offices!
I will accept any advice, especially from people who managed to recover money.

Thank you very much in advance!

[Zmieniono 2020-03-27 13:19 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Alexandra Mar 27, 2020

Aleksandra Kulej-Jeske wrote:
Have any of you recovered your outstanding payment from [agency]? At first they were paying, the cooperation was correct. I don't know what happened next. They've owed me almost $ 3,000 for several years now. I have sent countless emails to them. In addition, they are brazenly sending me new job offers.

I will gladly pay for legal assistance, debt collection company, anything. It's amazing that such scammers are still able to run their business. They have several offices! I will accept any advice, especially from people who managed to recover money.

Firstly, you have to remove their name from the forum post (because: forum rules).

Secondly, their Blue Board record contains 91 records, of which 30 are 1 star or 2 stars, so you should be able to contact those translators directly to ask for this information. If you're not a certain class of paying ProZ.com member, you wont be able to see all 91 records nor will you be able to see the names of translators who posted those reviews. You could, perhaps, ask a ProZ.com member who does have access to that information if he/she would be willing to share the information with you.

Ebrahim Mohammed
Naoko Orito

Aleksandra Kulej-Jeske
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I need an advice how to take legal measures. Mar 27, 2020

Thank you Samuel. I wasn't aware it's not allowed to include companies names. The name has been removed now.

And yes - I have been contacting other translators directly in the past. Some of them have been paid after some time, some of them haven't.

By posting on forum I hope to reach more people. I need an advice how to take legal measures.
E-mails don't work.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Small claims court Mar 27, 2020

Look up small claims courts in the state where the company is registered.
In California, for instance: https://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/small_claims/basic_info.shtml

They've owed me almost $ 3,000 for several years now. I have sent countless emails to them.

And this is why scammers survive. Translators must learn to handle nonpaying customers just like utility companies or credit card companies do. It's interesting, and one learns a lot on the way. Good luck!

[Bearbeitet am 2020-03-27 13:28 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:10
Japanese to English
+ ...
Scammers Mar 27, 2020

Hello Aleksandra.
If you can email me, perhaps I can give you some advice. I'm in Boston and have worked with a lot of companies in the US. Be sure to indicate the name of the company in the email.
Michael Newton

Marianna Pulkkanen
Marianna Pulkkanen
Switzerland
English to Finnish
+ ...
In the same situation Apr 27, 2020

I'm in the same situation myself but with a European agency. They're asking translators to waive 75% of the invoice amount. I'm not prepared to do that, and want 100% of what they owe me. They claim to have financial problems, but that's not really my problem, I need to pay rent and other expenses as well...

Aleksandra Kulej-Jeske
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can I do that online? Apr 28, 2020

Joakim Braun wrote:

In California, for instance: https://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/small_claims/basic_info.shtml

Thanks for this suggestion. Do you think small claims courts work online?
I'm located in Europe.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:10
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Let them know Apr 28, 2020

Joakim Braun wrote:

Thanks for this suggestion. Do you think small claims courts work online?
I'm located in Europe.

Let them know that you're pursuing them. Even if they're not replying to your emails, send them another polite email advising them that you intend to be paid. Make sure you include a link to this discussion thread. When they see that you're not messing around, and when they give some thought to what might eventually happen if they still don't pay, there's a good chance you'll get your money. Non-payers have to be persuaded that paying is going to work out much cheaper than having large men turning up at their office with authorisation to take away computers, furniture, etc. Because if you go to a lawyer, that's what can happen.

I would suggest you find out the name of a lawyer based in the same city as the non-paying agency; if possible even on the same street. Other Proz users will be able to help you with that and you will be able to exchange that information using the private message facility.

[Edited at 2020-04-28 11:43 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to collect payment from company that is banned on Proz already

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »