Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:54
French to English
. Apr 22, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Makes me think of the Tooting Popular Front (Google it).

I did, and had a good laugh, thanks!

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
The German mentality Apr 22, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote: no time for even moderate right-wing views, or the liberal views of the Querdenker? That's odd, but very typical of the Germans on the other hand.

... about your way and structure of thinking, it speaks for itself. Meanwhile, the other readers, even those with a rather distant attitude and knowledge about Germany should know what kind of person you and your "Querdenkers" are. Nothing more to add. Almost all has been said. But please, go on. I'll wait until you get your first like for your queer conspiracy thoughts ("draconian German laws") and unreflected attitudes of a person, who believes that he's political and does not distance oneself from those leaders and forces of your movements acting in the background, like Höcke, the AfD, PEGIDA and others extreme right movements you seem to be attracted to.

The poor ole Germans. Over the past few decades, you've been so brainwashed by your leaders, the media and probably the education system into thinking that threats to democracy and freedom can only come from "the right" that you can't even see when the government is taking away your freedoms from right under your nose.

Let's leave politics and ideology aside (like the Querdenkers do) and let me ask you a simple question: do you agree or disagree with the recently amended Infektionsschutzgesetz which will see the state forcing us to stay indoors between the hours of 10 pm and 5 pm every night? It's not a "conspiracy thought" when I call this "draconian" - it's my opinion and I'm not the only one who sees it that way!

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Your point being? Apr 22, 2021

Chris S wrote:

... there is something faintly ridiculous about a querdenkende freedom fighter who works as a downtrodden in-house translator in the excessively politically correct translation department of a German corporate conglomerate. Shouldn’t you be manning the barricades?

Makes me think of the Tooting Popular Front (Google it).

So because I work as in a PC company, I can't go on protests about the corona restrictions? What sort of logic is that? If anything, working for such a company makes me want to "man the barricades" even more.

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
I really haven't a clue... Apr 22, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

She's your boss. It was self-deleted before, but I'll give you a clue: she's feisty, blonde, blue-eyed and busty, and her call is "Hüh, mein Pferdchen!"

Now, the only person who would have the original of all this - what was it you called it, oh yes, "sarcastic c__p", that was it - is the OP. He's sure to have deleted all notifications about my posts, but you could try him anyway. You mind your Ps and Qs, though. Have a care with your grammar, lad, unless you want a Level 3 or 4.

...what you're talking about, not that it matters much. I really need to learn to speak "sarcastic British t**t" so that I can keep up with yourself and Chris here.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wolfie Apr 22, 2021

I knew about the Tooting Popular Front, just to show how hip and right-on (and creakingly old) I am, but what I didn't know was that "Citizen Smith" was the name used by Oirish troublemaker Wolfe Tone to evade capture by the British. Which I don't quite understand, because I reckon that if the coppers stop me driving around here, and ask me who I am, and I say "Ciudadano Henderson", they're likely to say "'Ello, 'ello, 'ello, got a right one 'ere, boys, out of the bloody car, mate", and take mor... See more
I knew about the Tooting Popular Front, just to show how hip and right-on (and creakingly old) I am, but what I didn't know was that "Citizen Smith" was the name used by Oirish troublemaker Wolfe Tone to evade capture by the British. Which I don't quite understand, because I reckon that if the coppers stop me driving around here, and ask me who I am, and I say "Ciudadano Henderson", they're likely to say "'Ello, 'ello, 'ello, got a right one 'ere, boys, out of the bloody car, mate", and take more interest in me rather than less, but that's the way it was.

It was Chris that brought all this up, and he and others know that I sometimes read into things too much, as you can see from this inconsequential guff, but in that connection, who the hell calls their kid Wolfe - worse, it was actually Theobald Wolfe Tone - for Pete's sake?

Well, they say that it wasn't so much for Pete's sake (the man supposed to be his dad was called Peter) that they named him Theobald Wolfe Tone as much as for the sake of his godfather, who was widely believed to be his biological father, oops, so you can see why the young Wolfe needed another cause in which to believe, and for which he was eventually sentenced to death by hanging, but he actually died in prison in mysterious circumstances, and they think he committed suicide. A bit like Göring. About which later, albeit in anuvva fred wot dare not speak its naaaame ...

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, Why are you telling us all this? And you'd be right to think that, and I'm more than willing to give you the straight answer that I have no idea why. But at the very least, if you're still reading, you'll go to bed tonight with a little more useless information than you had before. That's what the Spanish say: "A la cama no irás, sin saber una cosa más".

[Edited at 2021-04-23 05:11 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 18:54
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Something amusing... Apr 23, 2021

... for the weekend:
European Weird Traditions
https://europeisnotdead.com/european-weird-traditions/

Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Interesting! Apr 24, 2021

expressisverbis wrote:

... for the weekend:
European Weird Traditions
https://europeisnotdead.com/european-weird-traditions/

Some of these traditions tell much about the characters you read here often, i.e. about the (Northern) Irish in this thread, who wear all the weird straw on their heads on that festival (which probably symbolizes how they used to hide their bottles with Guinness in front of the Brits who ruled their country for centuries):

Ireland-European-Weird-Traditions-Wren-Day

(above picture should be live, as it is a .gif)
But when it comes to the Germans, the article is not correct, because the event described there has been replaced today by the Querdenker demonstrations (which are not shown above).
Another true frivolous German tradition happens every Thursday morning when pensioners storm their next ALDI discount market for the newest special offer (mostly grey-colored waistcoats, trousers, house dresses and electro bikes, of course).
Missing: Wales. Any input?

[Bearbeitet am 2021-04-24 06:32 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2021-04-24 09:39 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It doesn't happen in Germany only... Apr 24, 2021

Matthias, this doesn't happen in Germany only, as we all well know.
A few days ago Lisbon also had Querdenker demonstrations and the person who organised them was infected and didn't wear a mask along with everyone else.
(I can't precise how many people were there!)
Then they complain numbers are high and ask Germany to help Southern Portugal with Covid-19 patients...
By the way, 'danke' Germany!

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Interesting to get to know and that's why ... Apr 24, 2021

expressisverbis wrote:

Then they complain numbers are high and ask Germany to help Southern Portugal with Covid-19 patients...

... I opt for more Europe but better organized (in almost every aspect) instead of all the XXXexit movements.

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
And I would add... Apr 24, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

... I opt for more Europe but better organized (in almost every aspect) instead of all the XXXexit movements.

more civilized.

Matthias Brombach
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wren Day Apr 24, 2021

Thanks, Matthias (Der Neue Matthias in the photo)!!!

Ah, Wren Day, indeed. How I remember those Wren Days when I would put a brown cow mask on, and my brother would put a yellow straw skirt on, and we would frolic around the streets all day long in time-honoured tradition, steeping ourselves in culchie culture and drinking ourselves stupid on Smithwick's.

Yes, you can take the boy out of the bog, but you can never take the bog out of the boy.

... See more
Thanks, Matthias (Der Neue Matthias in the photo)!!!

Ah, Wren Day, indeed. How I remember those Wren Days when I would put a brown cow mask on, and my brother would put a yellow straw skirt on, and we would frolic around the streets all day long in time-honoured tradition, steeping ourselves in culchie culture and drinking ourselves stupid on Smithwick's.

Yes, you can take the boy out of the bog, but you can never take the bog out of the boy.

I'm joking, actually. To tell you the truth, during the 18-year sentence I served in Northern Ireland with not so much as a single second deducted for good behaviour, I never heard tell of Wren Day.

It might have been a Southern Thing. They did things different Down There. They drank Guinness, for a start, instead of Smithwick's. We could never be bothered to wait for the, what is it, three or four pouring stages of Guinness. No, our psychological necessity for alcohol was always much more telluric, desperate and acute. We found that this gave us way more drinking time, which in turn also helped us come up with problems for any solutions which either London or Dublin, or both, cared to impose on us.
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In Spain too, I think... Apr 24, 2021

About the Wren Day, I think a similar tradition is performed in Galicia: 'La caceria del rey Carlos' (the Chase of King Charles).

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Rubbish Apr 25, 2021

expressisverbis wrote:

Matthias, this doesn't happen in Germany only, as we all well know.
A few days ago Lisbon also had Querdenker demonstrations and the person who organised them was infected and didn't wear a mask along with everyone else.
(I can't precise how many people were there!)
By the way, 'danke' Germany!

So you're another authoritarian who doesn't believe in the right to protest and believes everyone should be locked up in their homes and the economy destroyed because of a virus? And who's complaining that the "numbers are high"? Not the Querdenker, because we put "the numbers" in context and resent the governments of this world using "the numbers" as excuse for restricting our civil liberties and destroying the economy. Here's a common-sense tip on how to reduce "the numbers": unless you feel sick, don't get a corona test! If you must get a test, don't report a positive result to the authorities. The false positives and the asymptomatic infections will keep "the numbers" high forever, giving the government a reason/excuse to extend the lockdown indefinitely. Wake up, everyone!

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Here we go again ... Apr 29, 2021

Last Sunday, I heard this great line on Line Of Duty, delivered in sheer exasperation by a NI character: "Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the wee donkey!"

And stop visiting my profile e-v-e-r-y single day, more times a day. You know who you are.

[Edited at 2021-04-29 14:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-29 14:02 GMT]

Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 22:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
Great tip! Apr 29, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:

Here's a common-sense tip on how to reduce "the numbers": unless you feel sick, don't get a corona test! If you must get a test, don't report a positive result to the authorities.

At the very beginning of the pandemic, a country did do that. The numbers were negligible. Only the situation soon got out of hand and they decided, overnight and without warning, to put a city of more than 11 million population on lockdown.

Yes, we all know this 'tip' worked like a charm.

[Edited at 2021-04-29 14:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-29 14:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-29 15:27 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »