Poll: Do you find it difficult to get clients to provide public feedback or testimonials for you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 12, 2020

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you find it difficult to get clients to provide public feedback or testimonials for you?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:12
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don’t ask for feedback or testimonials Aug 12, 2020

There’s one exception: when years ago I decided to have my own website I asked my regular customers if they were willing to say a few words about my work, they all kindly accepted.

P.S. I love getting spontaneous WWAs!

Dan Lucas
Christine Andersen
ahartje
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Muriel Vasconcellos

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:12
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I don´t either Aug 12, 2020

I have occasionally asked for references or testimonials, and always hated doing it. Why should clients give references to potential competitors? One good client never sent any more jobs afterwards, and then I decided I was not going to risk losing any more good clients when I was not even certain that the new enquiry would lead to any work!

My former employer gave me a testimonial when he was forced to let his employees go because the company was in financial difficulties, and I us
... See more
I have occasionally asked for references or testimonials, and always hated doing it. Why should clients give references to potential competitors? One good client never sent any more jobs afterwards, and then I decided I was not going to risk losing any more good clients when I was not even certain that the new enquiry would lead to any work!

My former employer gave me a testimonial when he was forced to let his employees go because the company was in financial difficulties, and I used it once or twice, but after a couple of years I felt I had moved on...

I asked two clients to provide references when I applied to become a Chartered Linguist. One was far more willing than the other! However, they were giving references to the Chartered Institute of Linguists, not to a competing LSP, and both consented. I now refuse to give references, but if asked, I send a scan of my Chartered Linguist certificate with an explanation.

[Edited at 2020-08-12 17:47 GMT]
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Marwa Seleem
Ventnai

Maria Silvestri
Maria Silvestri  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
This is so important for marketing! Aug 12, 2020

I see that most people don't ask for feedback - why?
This is so helpful when it's between hiring you and hiring someone else - if you've got some good feedback, it may tip those $$$ for that project in your favor!

I do find it hard to ask for feedback, whether because I work with quite a few project managers from an agency or they're a client I didn't necessarily get via Proz. I don't know what to suggest to make this an easier process but I wish it was more a part of the ind
... See more
This is so helpful when it's between hiring you and hiring someone else - if you've got some good feedback, it may tip those $$$ for that project in your favor!

I do find it hard to ask for feedback, whether because I work with quite a few project managers from an agency or they're a client I didn't necessarily get via Proz. I don't know what to suggest to make this an easier process but I wish it was more a part of the industry.
Collapse

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Mario Freitas
Aline Amorim
Andrei Octavian Andrei
Seham Ebied
Felipe Tomasi

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I prefer the passive approach Aug 12, 2020

If someone wants to tell the world how brilliant you are, they will.

expressisverbis
Muriel Vasconcellos
neilmac
ahartje
Inés Cendón Rodríguez
Philippe Etienne

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:12
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
ProZ WWA Aug 12, 2020

ProZ has an excellent feature for this purpose, the WWA. I asked for feedback even from old clients, and most of them replied.
Linked-In also has a similar feature.
It's no big deal for either party, and it's a common commercial/professional practice.
Plus, clients looking for professionals do look at these referrals, and they do make a difference.

Josephine Cassar
Aline Amorim
Philip Lees
Nouha COLY
Felipe Tomasi

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Feedback and WWA are not the same as testimonials to other clients Aug 12, 2020

I always mention when I deliver a job that I am available for questions or feedback afterwards.

If a client wants to add a WWA to my profile, then I am delighted. What I hate is when a potential new client asks for two references from existing clients. Sometimes I have NDAs with clients which practically say I am not allowed to mention to others that I work for them. Of course, IF they have given consent and IF they have actually written a reference, that is another matter. However,
... See more
I always mention when I deliver a job that I am available for questions or feedback afterwards.

If a client wants to add a WWA to my profile, then I am delighted. What I hate is when a potential new client asks for two references from existing clients. Sometimes I have NDAs with clients which practically say I am not allowed to mention to others that I work for them. Of course, IF they have given consent and IF they have actually written a reference, that is another matter. However, I get several enquiries every month from new clients. Luckily they do not all ask for references or testimonials, but if they do, then the answer is no, as I explained above.

There are other ways of marketing oneself. Taking part in these forums and in KudoZ, for example.
Attending trade fairs and generally being visible at events where potential clients gather, having a good online profile...

My best clients are busy people and don't have time to write lots of testimonials for all the translators they work with. My credentials are in order - send me a small job and let me show you what I can do!

[Edited at 2020-08-13 09:27 GMT]
Collapse

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Muriel Vasconcellos
ahartje
Seham Ebied
María José Domínguez Camba

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
WWA and references Aug 12, 2020

I do not mind ticking the WWA entry box at the bottom of the Proz invoice I send clients but I do not like or absolutely hate asking for references from clients for new agencies which contact me and from whom I may never hear any more then. I do not like to pester PMs.

Nilton Junior
Christine Andersen
Paula Hernandez

Nilton Junior
Nilton Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not really Aug 12, 2020

Josephine Cassar wrote:

I do not mind ticking the WWA entry box at the bottom of the Proz invoice I send clients but I do not like or absolutely hate asking for references from clients for new agencies which contact me and from whom I may never hear any more then. I do not like to pester PMs.

I recently asked a few clients and colleagues to provide testimonials I could publish on my recently created website and they were all happy to help, but I feel extremely uncomfortable when a prospect client asks for references.

I understand why they feel like they need to do it, but I rely on public information to make a decision as to whether I want to work with them. And I certainly do not want them pestering my current clients about me.

For all I know, these prospect clients might just be trying to fish my clients' details and looking to offer their own services to them.

Andrei Octavian Andrei

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:12
German to English
+ ...
answering Maria Aug 13, 2020

Maria Silvestri wrote:

To answer the first: I don't ask my clients for public feedback because I don't want to bother them that way, and because I get most clients by word of mouth anyway. The feedback they give is probably by way of recommendation. Clients also come to me via my professional organization, and there is no place for feedback there.

When it comes to hiring me or someone else; repeat clients come back because of proven service. I know that when I need to hire someone in other areas, reliable knowledgeable service seems to be a rare gem these days and you hold on to it when you find it.

Muriel Vasconcellos
neilmac
expressisverbis
Thayenga
Christine Andersen

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 13, 2020

I don't usually ask for feedback or testimonials, but if I did, I wouldn't foresee any problem. I often get micro feedback in the form of thanks for speed of delivery or quality of the translation, but that's just icing on the cake.

Francesca Grandinetti
expressisverbis
Sabine Braun
Philippe Etienne
María José Domínguez Camba

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Never ask Aug 14, 2020

I'm not in the habit of asking people for things. If they want to give, that's fine. I don't seek the approval of others.

Angie Garbarino

Felipe Tomasi
Felipe Tomasi  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No difficulty at all. But... Aug 17, 2020

I do believe that in the beginning of a career referrals from clients and/or colleagues may help.
So in my view there is no concern on asking for feedback.
However, I believe that quality and prompt deliveries make the most. Nothing substitutes that. If you do not deliver quality jobs, referrals become useless.

[Edited at 2020-08-17 02:16 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you find it difficult to get clients to provide public feedback or testimonials for you?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »