Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: I usually have something to eat or snack on nearby while working.
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:26
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
False Oct 26, 2020

I stop working and go eat away from my desk.
I've had enough trouble with ants and cockroaches in the offices where I worked, always where people ate on their desks, in addition to the several keyboards I had to replace.
Your work station is not a good place to eat.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Maria da Glória Teixeira
Gibril Koroma

Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic
Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Snacks Oct 26, 2020

My best snack is a stretch or 5 minute routine exercise my upper back and crunches to get my blood pumping. If I feel pain or tension that means I need to exercise.

When it comes to eating, yes - sometimes, but quite frankly, quite rarely.

Drinks - Only if I happen to be working at McDonalds due to the great lighting and fast internet. I love their coffee, and that’s about it.

As far as snacks go, I carry about six almonds in my purse for a protein pi
... See more
My best snack is a stretch or 5 minute routine exercise my upper back and crunches to get my blood pumping. If I feel pain or tension that means I need to exercise.

When it comes to eating, yes - sometimes, but quite frankly, quite rarely.

Drinks - Only if I happen to be working at McDonalds due to the great lighting and fast internet. I love their coffee, and that’s about it.

As far as snacks go, I carry about six almonds in my purse for a protein pick me up if it’s absolutely necessary. It’s usually not necessary. But it has been known to happen 😊

Just like Tom I’m watching my weight. After all, our work is pretty sedentary.

Have a great day, y’all!
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:26
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
same here Oct 26, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Absolutely not. I don't snack between meals. I'm watching my weight and looking after my health. I MIGHT take a break mid-afternoon and eat a banana or an orange, but that's it.

[Edited at 2020-10-26 16:53 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
True Oct 26, 2020

True, because my "office" is in the corner of my living room/kitchen, so the food cupboards are within easy reach. However, I don't tend to have snacks or drinks next to the PCr when I'm working, so at least I have to stand up and walk a few paces if I want to munch anything.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
False Oct 26, 2020

But the kitchen is not far away.

I do take short breaks every 1-2 hours, and sometimes with a drink or snack, but not at every break.
I am trying to keep my weight down and avoid growing out of my clothes, you see.

Maria Silvestri
Maria Silvestri  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
Really? Oct 27, 2020

As often is the case, freelance translators as a whole generally tend to come off as a bunch of near perfect, totally disciplined type of person. I am not that at all!

To me, this work requires so much energy, I have to feed my brain while I'm working! I don't *always* snack, but I definitely do, at my computer. Commence pearl clutching, folks!

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Lingua 5B
JohnStroller
Thayenga
Muriel Vasconcellos
Clement Cheung

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:26
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 27, 2020

[Edited at 2020-10-27 06:27 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Perfection Oct 27, 2020

Maria Silvestri wrote:

As often is the case, freelance translators as a whole generally tend to come off as a bunch of near perfect, totally disciplined type of person. I am not that at all!

To me, this work requires so much energy, I have to feed my brain while I'm working! I don't *always* snack, but I definitely do, at my computer. Commence pearl clutching, folks!

Tread carefully, Maria. It’s essential to appear professional at all times. Remember that the agencies have teams monitoring sites like this. One step wrong and you’ll be blacklisted forever like me. I haven’t had one of those big 4 cent paydays for years.

On the other hand, the 30% who snack could be too busy picking crumbs out of their keyboards to reply.

Which reminds me. It’s very difficult to snack while dictating. Biscuits are the worst. It has to be something that goes down smoothly. Like oysters.

P.L.F. Persio
Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Clement Cheung

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Munching. Oct 27, 2020

I definitely snack, love eating and cooking (the more complicated recipe the better), but I never eat at my desk. However, I don’t snack just about anything, I have my preferences combining healthy and flavorful. I may have/often have water and tea or coffee at my desk, but that’s about it. There are several reasons for this:

- I wash my hands before using keyboard and always use it with clean hands only. It’s easier, tidier and better for keyboard lifespan
- I prefer to
... See more
I definitely snack, love eating and cooking (the more complicated recipe the better), but I never eat at my desk. However, I don’t snack just about anything, I have my preferences combining healthy and flavorful. I may have/often have water and tea or coffee at my desk, but that’s about it. There are several reasons for this:

- I wash my hands before using keyboard and always use it with clean hands only. It’s easier, tidier and better for keyboard lifespan
- I prefer to focus on work while at my desk, and the food would distract me
- Sedentary lifestyle and long hours of sitting present risk for health and after each meal I feel like standing up and walking, which is not possible at the desk
- Kitchen is not miles away if I need to snack or eat, plus it will involve at least some walking and stretching
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Brain is a big consumer, yes. Oct 27, 2020

Maria Silvestri wrote:

I remember when I used to work in-house, the colleagues with bad appetite usually had shorter attention span or made more errors.

However, with sedentary lifestyle combined with brain overuse it's so easy to slip into overeating, which can cause a lot of problems. KudoZ to moderation in everything. I am not the one who knows how to be moderate with regards to sweets, cookies, etc. which is why I don't stack them in my cupboards. Instead, I make a raw vegan cake which is more healthy, but also it needs to be frozen, which makes it much harder to munch quickly on the go (needs to be thawed, which is a process), and I do this on purpose, so the consumption is few and far between. For instance, there is one strawberry raw vegan cake in my freezer which I made back in August I think, and it's still not finished. If it had been easily accessible within my visual field, it would have been long gone by now.

[Edited at 2020-10-27 08:55 GMT]

Tom in London

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No crumbs or liquids near my keyboard Oct 27, 2020

I learned the hard way.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
P.L.F. Persio
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Maria da Glória Teixeira
Maria da Glória Teixeira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Oct 27, 2020

The snacks and meals here have their break and all on the kitchen table, moving does well the mind that works much better, thanks!

Liena Vijupe

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
But... Oct 27, 2020

But if I have something pressing or difficult and I do not want to take a break, I do nimble something (usually something unhealthy or not nutritious as I do not keep anything for such days so as not to get into a habit and most often than not, standing up so as not to waste time) rather than go without a meal. Unhealthy and not to allow to develop into a habit, just a one-off.

Kamlesh Dhavale
Kamlesh Dhavale  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:56
Member (2013)
English to Marathi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
To munch or not to munch, that is the question Oct 28, 2020

I don't keep anything to eat handy. I may bring over a glass or water or other drink (wink, wink) occasionally. And keep it as far away from me as possible. If I need a snack, it is always better to leave the workstation and saunter into the kitchen, dreaming of my next $1,000,000 assignment.

[Edited at 2020-10-28 10:10 GMT]

Ana Elisa Igel
Ana Elisa Igel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
something to eat Oct 28, 2020

I usually do not have anythnig to eat ON M DESK, but during my working day I take breaks to have something to drink or eat and refresh my mind a bit. Otherwise, production drops heavily.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I usually have something to eat or snack on nearby while working.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »