Discussion about Benevolent deception: "The placebo button effect" in English to Dutch - Entry #24770

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com contests - discussion of individual entries » "Discussion about Benevolent deception: "The placebo button effect" in English to Dutch - Entry #24770".
You can see the ProZ.com contests - discussion of individual entries page and participate in this discussion from there.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:13
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Human response to a changing industry Apr 18, 2019

Ik lees vandaag, 18 april 2019, in een publicatie van de heren Dotterer en Tabor dat ze hier expres machinevertalingen tussen de reguliere vertalingen posten. Om ons gedrag te meten. Fijne website, dit!

Jean Dimitriadis

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please don't post a file that is available to members only on the forum.
Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Deepl translation Apr 19, 2019

I read today, 18 April 2019, in a publication by Messrs Dotterer and Tabor, that they are posting machine translations between the regular translations here on purpose. To measure our behaviour. Great website, this!

Katalin Szilárd

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Is this the only place where it was used? Apr 20, 2019

Gerard de Noord wrote:

I read today, 18 April 2019, in a publication by Messrs Dotterer and Tabor, that they are posting machine translations between the regular translations here on purpose. To measure our behaviour. Great website, this!

Now I'm wondering whether Kudoz was free from MT questions and answers....
Sometimes I had the feeling that the asker did not speak Hungarian at all still on her/his profile said she/he was.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:13
Chinese to English
To understand your intent... Apr 20, 2019

Am I right in thinking that you're being sarcastic, Gerard? That in fact you think this is deceptive behaviour and dislike it?

I understand what you mean, but I have to admit, I think this sounds like an interesting blind experiment. I would be keen to see the results. It sounds as though the site sent you out a disclaimer about what's happening, is that right? So you do have the opportunity to remove your consent and not participate.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discussion about Benevolent deception: "The placebo button effect" in English to Dutch - Entry #24770

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »