Thread poster: Sumaiya Nishat
Sumaiya Nishat
Sumaiya Nishat  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:49
Arabic to English
+ ...
Nov 22, 2019

How much time did it take you to get constant work when you started working on proz.com?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:19
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not yet Nov 22, 2019

Sumaiya Nishat wrote:
How much time did it take you to get constant work [via ProZ.com]?

I'm not getting constant work via ProZ.com.

ProZ.com's features that allow translators to find clients and vice versa should be just one item in your list of marketing activities. It is possible that some of the clients who appear to have found me by word of mouth actually found me via ProZ.com, but they don't always specifically say "I found you at ProZ.com", and I usually forget to ask "where did you find me".

By the way, your profile page looks nicely filled out, but is there any particular reason why you don't put spaces between your sentences in English? Do you think that when clients see that, they will have more confidence in your skill as a translator, or less? By the time a client visits your profile page, you've made some sort of shortlist already, but if you drop off of that list because of typing errors, it's a shame.

[Edited at 2019-11-22 07:37 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Sumaiya Nishat
Desiree Davidse
Andrew Morris

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:19
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Very bleak May 4, 2020

I have been part of the ProZ community for many years and still do not get constant work from ProZ. One reason for this could be the saturation of the market, shown in the high numbers of bidders for jobs on the ProZ jobs board. With so many bidders, there is sure to be one that quotes peanuts rates, and in most cases the lowest price gets the job. This has got a lot worse recently with the coronavirus, as at least in Brazil many people who lose their jobs in other areas using language (secretar... See more
I have been part of the ProZ community for many years and still do not get constant work from ProZ. One reason for this could be the saturation of the market, shown in the high numbers of bidders for jobs on the ProZ jobs board. With so many bidders, there is sure to be one that quotes peanuts rates, and in most cases the lowest price gets the job. This has got a lot worse recently with the coronavirus, as at least in Brazil many people who lose their jobs in other areas using language (secretaries, hotel and catering staff, airport staff) come to translation as a way to get money. This makes jobs even harder to come by (more interested parties) and pushes rates down.Collapse

Ventnai

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Constant work from Proz.com

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »