Thread poster: Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:52
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Apr 6, 2021

Please do not work with Michelle Smith Summit New Jersey, she is a scammer and gave fake phone number
Contacted me via another portal and scammed me, no payment

Dalia Nour
Chiara Santoriello
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Name like that Apr 6, 2021

She probably doesn't exist.

And will just rotate to something else generic in a month or two once people start noticing (or even immediately, if the person is careful or scams a lot per person).

Angie Garbarino
Yolanda Broad
Liviu-Lee Roth

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Be careful Apr 7, 2021

Sorry to hear about this. I hope you'll take the lesson learned to heart.

The basics for new customers are to check the Blue Board, Google them and to call them. If you can't find much, you ask for some amount of up front payment.

And, of course, "never get hungry". It's just another way of saying always be willing to walk away from the table.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The lesson was learned many years ago Apr 7, 2021

Edward Potter wrote:

Sorry to hear about this. I hope you'll take the lesson learned to heart.

The basics for new customers are to check the Blue Board, Google them and to call them. If you can't find much, you ask for some amount of up front payment.

And, of course, "never get hungry". It's just another way of saying always be willing to walk away from the table.

Unfortunately this was not Proz.com, she contacted from another portal and there is nothing about her on internet, also the phone number was valid 1 month ago, now not anymore. This is why I warned my colleagues, because she appears to have received 25 offers, unfortunately she chose me, not a big sum fortunately, one day of work, but still I wanted to warn.

[Edited at 2021-04-07 16:20 GMT]

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Lucky Apr 8, 2021

Only one day of work. Whew!

It sounds like you took a calculated risk. Despite not collecting any money you now have a little more knowledge and experience.

The way I roll is to check out new customers by googling them, and calling a valid phone number. Often I still don't rule them out, but I will ask for up-front payment. If they are in a big hurry, we are not a match. The money has to clear before I start working. I actually sometimes get new customers this way, alb
... See more
Only one day of work. Whew!

It sounds like you took a calculated risk. Despite not collecting any money you now have a little more knowledge and experience.

The way I roll is to check out new customers by googling them, and calling a valid phone number. Often I still don't rule them out, but I will ask for up-front payment. If they are in a big hurry, we are not a match. The money has to clear before I start working. I actually sometimes get new customers this way, albeit less than 10% of the time.

As regards those typical scammers, I've never had anyone send me a check for too much money. I have always spotted them before we ever get that far. Knock on wood.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Michelle Smith scammer

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »