Changing language pairs in sdlxliff file
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:01
German to English
Jun 25, 2015

A few times I've gotten files to review that indicate the incorrect language pair (should be British English > US English, NOT British English > German). This used to happen occasionally with ttx files, and a text editor could be used to solve the problem. How would this be accomplished with a sdlxliff file? I've been reluctant to experiment due to time constraints.
Thanks, Kevin

gra

Darius Sciuka
Darius Sciuka  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 15:01
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Easy Jun 25, 2015

Yes you can use any decent text editor. Just look for the following string: source-language="xx-XX" target-language="yy-YY" and modify the language codes. And of course always remember to backup your files before doing anything.

Regards,
Darius

Zubeir Ndarawa

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:01
English
But why would you change it? Jun 25, 2015

Kevin Fulton wrote:

A few times I've gotten files to review that indicate the incorrect language pair (should be British English > US English, NOT British English > German).

Hi Kevin,

Won't you have to put it back afterwards for your client so they don't have a problem? If it's just so you can use your own TMs you can leave them as they are and just use AnyTM for your TM.

Or were you asked to change the language codes in the sdlxliff files permanently?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Will use text editor Jun 25, 2015

Darius Sciuka wrote:

Yes you can use any decent text editor. Just look for the following string: source-language="xx-XX" target-language="yy-YY" and modify the language codes. And of course always remember to backup your files before doing anything.

Regards,
Darius

Thanks, Darius!

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Language codes nneded to be changed Jun 25, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Won't you have to put it back afterwards for your client so they don't have a problem? If it's just so you can use your own TMs you can leave them as they are and just use AnyTM for your TM.

Thanks, Paul, for your prompt response.
Without going into the details of the project, I'm fairly confident that my client (an agency) would want the proper language codes in the document. One of the problems was that the language codes in the document they sent me didn't match the TM, and due to the time difference, I couldn't discuss the issue with them. I didn't need the TM for the work I was doing, but I wanted to make sure the agency received a proper file from me so they could update their TM. In any case, I delivered the file with the incorrect language codes, as I didn't know how to change them.
Kevin

Wulfran BRUNET
Wulfran BRUNET
English to French
+ ...
Decent text editor? Aug 9, 2016

I'm having the same problem. I have opened the sdlxliff on Notepad+++ and modified it but I can't save the modified file as sdlxliff.
Any suggestion?
Thanks!

gra
gra  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
How did you solve this? (You posted your answer long time ago but I'm trying to fix it now) Sep 17, 2018

Guillaume de Brébisson wrote:

I'm having the same problem. I have opened the sdlxliff on Notepad+++ and modified it but I can't save the modified file as sdlxliff.
Any suggestion?
Thanks!

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Change the extension to sdlxliff Sep 17, 2018

Notepad+++ would not touch the actual format of the sdlxliff file (codes, tags etc.), so it should work to save the edited file with Notepad and then just change the extension into sdlxliff, and problem solved.
Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing language pairs in sdlxliff file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »