Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:19
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Oct 18, 2017

I have recently started using Studio 2017, although I upgraded a while ago. I did not have any problems to start with but now, for the last three weeks, I have mostly been unable to use Studio 2017 because it takes hours to prepare a project, even if it contains less than a 1000 words, and even if it is a standalone document, Studio uses 99% of CPU, so absolutely all fans are whizzing and nothing can be used on the computer. The thing is, though, I have a four core laptop with 16 GB RAM. The mac... See more
I have recently started using Studio 2017, although I upgraded a while ago. I did not have any problems to start with but now, for the last three weeks, I have mostly been unable to use Studio 2017 because it takes hours to prepare a project, even if it contains less than a 1000 words, and even if it is a standalone document, Studio uses 99% of CPU, so absolutely all fans are whizzing and nothing can be used on the computer. The thing is, though, I have a four core laptop with 16 GB RAM. The machine is more than capable of dealing with Studio and the OS was reinstalled only two months ago, so it should still work like a charm... which it does, as long as Studio 2017 is not open. 2014 works fine, 2015 seems to be on the slow side sometimes, but 2017 is an off the charts nightmare.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Ines
Collapse

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 00:19
English to Italian
+ ...
Same problem Oct 19, 2017

Burrell wrote:

I have recently started using Studio 2017, although I upgraded a while ago. I did not have any problems to start with but now, for the last three weeks, I have mostly been unable to use Studio 2017 because it takes hours to prepare a project, even if it contains less than a 1000 words, and even if it is a standalone document, Studio uses 99% of CPU, so absolutely all fans are whizzing and nothing can be used on the computer. The thing is, though, I have a four core laptop with 16 GB RAM. The machine is more than capable of dealing with Studio and the OS was reinstalled only two months ago, so it should still work like a charm... which it does, as long as Studio 2017 is not open. 2014 works fine, 2015 seems to be on the slow side sometimes, but 2017 is an off the charts nightmare.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Ines

I have the same problem. I have never got a viable solution
- project preparation takes 7/15 minutes depending on the file. Sometimes the process stops around 75 percent for ten minutes or so then proceeds slowly in 2 or 3 percent steps.
- During translation it gets stuck or even crashes. Concordance window searches for similar segments for 10 or 15 minutes... I translate manually because it's faster.
- Then there is term recognition and else. But that is another story

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:19
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
I had a similar problem Oct 19, 2017

Turned out it was nothing to do with Studio 2017, it was my hard drive. I couldn't believe it when this was first diagnosed (by running various diagnostic tools), as the computer (HP) was only two years old (just old enough for the guarantee to expire). However, I bought a new hard drive, and now it works fine.

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 00:19
English to Italian
+ ...
SSD here Oct 19, 2017

Mark Nathan wrote:

Turned out it was nothing to do with Studio 2017, it was my hard drive. I couldn't believe it when this was first diagnosed (by running various diagnostic tools), as the computer (HP) was only two years old (just old enough for the guarantee to expire). However, I bought a new hard drive, and now it works fine.

Not in my case. Machine is new, i7, 16 DDR4 RAM (it's a gaming platform), 2 SSDs. All tms and TBs reside on the machine. Everything was fine till Studio 2017, just the usual bugs before. But 2017 has been a huge source of issues. If the PC can play games, can't understand why can't run Studio.

[Edited at 2017-10-19 13:22 GMT]

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 17:19
English to Polish
+ ...
Known culprit Oct 19, 2017

Most probably, this memory leak is due to javascript load in WebSearch plugin on Linguee website.
Possible solutions:
1. Don't use Linguee or Websearch
2. Sign up to Linguee to remove ads that cause the problem.
3. Disable active scripting in Internet Explorer (Internet Options, Security, Non-Standard level)

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:19
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I managed to improve the situation Oct 26, 2017

By creating a new TM from my main one. I can now create a project with very small content, previously I ran out of patience after waiting for 3 hours. I reorganised it first but that did not do any good.

I do not however use Linguee (or at least I am not aware of it). And my hard drive was checked 4 months ago.

I still get loads of fan buzzing time from time when Studio uses 99% of CPU and the only thing I can do is to turn Studio off (but it takes 5 minute to move th
... See more
By creating a new TM from my main one. I can now create a project with very small content, previously I ran out of patience after waiting for 3 hours. I reorganised it first but that did not do any good.

I do not however use Linguee (or at least I am not aware of it). And my hard drive was checked 4 months ago.

I still get loads of fan buzzing time from time when Studio uses 99% of CPU and the only thing I can do is to turn Studio off (but it takes 5 minute to move the cursor to X to do that).

I really like Studio 2017, but in current form it is completely unusable. I have gone back to 2014 now, although I will have a serious problem if I have to reinstall the OS - I will be stuck with 2017 which I basically cannot use most of the time.
Collapse

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe WordReference? Dec 1, 2017

I have not experienced problems due to Linguee (that I know of), but many times when I open WordReference, it causes my computer to slow down so much that I have to restart the computer. (This just started in the past few years; it didn't cause problems for me 2009-about 2014ish). Just closing the WR tab, or closing and reopening the browser doesn't help. The worst delay it causes is in Trados (I have Trados 2014).

If not Linguee or WR, maybe it's some other website that causes
... See more
I have not experienced problems due to Linguee (that I know of), but many times when I open WordReference, it causes my computer to slow down so much that I have to restart the computer. (This just started in the past few years; it didn't cause problems for me 2009-about 2014ish). Just closing the WR tab, or closing and reopening the browser doesn't help. The worst delay it causes is in Trados (I have Trados 2014).

If not Linguee or WR, maybe it's some other website that causes a drag on your computer.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:19
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have often found that... Dec 1, 2017

... virus protection software (other than Windows Defender) will stall Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017 slows down entire computer

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »