Doing a full translation from a review file (without the original) - is this normal practice?
Thread poster: Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:25
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 17, 2018

Instead of a regular source file I received a pdf for reference and a series of .docx review files exported with trados.
It's for a (very long) instuction manual, and basically the manufacturer (my client is the Italian distributor) opened the original documents in trados, copied the original segments to destination and exported the file for review as .docx.

In the instructions, they say "enter the translation in the right column".

I usually work setting up my
... See more
Instead of a regular source file I received a pdf for reference and a series of .docx review files exported with trados.
It's for a (very long) instuction manual, and basically the manufacturer (my client is the Italian distributor) opened the original documents in trados, copied the original segments to destination and exported the file for review as .docx.

In the instructions, they say "enter the translation in the right column".

I usually work setting up my own projects from .idml files in Trados (My clients are not translation agencies, and don't know anything about CAT tools so I don't have to work with packages or files that have already been prepared for translation).

This is not the first manual I translate for this company (all the other times I received .idml files, but I had to insist a lot, because they don't understand they I can't just work from the pdf). I would only do the project if I can use my glossaries and TM.

How could I handle this? Can Trados import a file from the review, without the original?
I also have different segmentation in my TM as the segmentation they set up is for paragraphs, my TM was built working with sentence segments - I'm not sure that it would work with different segmentation rules.
Collapse

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:25
German to English
+ ...
A quick workaround Sep 17, 2018

I'm not sure why your client is asking for this format, but if you need a quick workaround, you can just work with the Word file: copy the source text from the source column into the target column, then hide the source column in Word, and throw the file back into Trados, so at least you can use your TM and glossaries, and leverage any repetitions etc.

In terms of segmentation, this workaround will also solve that problem, as your Trados will segment the files according to your own s
... See more
I'm not sure why your client is asking for this format, but if you need a quick workaround, you can just work with the Word file: copy the source text from the source column into the target column, then hide the source column in Word, and throw the file back into Trados, so at least you can use your TM and glossaries, and leverage any repetitions etc.

In terms of segmentation, this workaround will also solve that problem, as your Trados will segment the files according to your own segmentation rules, breaking up those annoying paragraphs into sentences for you.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Valérie Ourset
Philippe SALMON
Serena Marangoni
Dan Lucas

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
The same for me Sep 17, 2018

I would do exactly as Angela suggests. To me the pdf would be the reference file, since it (hopefully) would show the text in context.

Roy

Valérie Ourset

Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great suggestion Sep 17, 2018

Angela Rimmer wrote:

In terms of segmentation, this workaround will also solve that problem, as your Trados will segment the files according to your own segmentation rules, breaking up those annoying paragraphs into sentences for you.

Great suggestion, thanks! If I accept the job and don't receive the original files I'm going to do that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Doing a full translation from a review file (without the original) - is this normal practice?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »