Delivering translation in 2 parts. Can I patch the proof-read XLIFF part onto my 2nd delivery in SDL
Thread poster: Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:46
German to English
Mar 27, 2019

My client uses XTM. I will be translating 10k words in SDL Trados Studio 2017 using the XLIFF file exported from XTM. I'd like to deliver in 2 parts. The proof-reader will be checking the work in XTM.

Is there a way I can take his/her proof-read part and insert it into my second delivery? The aim is that once they have proof-read the second part, the document will be finished at that point. I'm not sure how to handle the XLIFF to SDLXLIFF conversion and back again.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:46
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Conor Mar 27, 2019

Conor Murphy wrote:
Is there a way I can take his/her proof-read part and insert it into my second delivery?

Well, what you can't do with an SDLXLIFF file is to split it down the middle and expect both parts to still work. The SDLXLIFF format saves certain information in the "head" of the file, so there's no way (that I know of) to split an SDLXLIFF file and end up with two valid SDLXLIFF files. You may be able to do that with the XTM XLIFF (but I'm not sure) -- in some XLIFF formats you can split a file into multiple parts, copy the headers, and end up with valid separate XLIFF files. But all of this is hacking.

You should try to find out if XTM has a feature to split the XLIFF file when downloading it.

What I would attempt to do, is this:

1. Download the XLIFF file, convert to SDLXLIFF, and make a copy of it
2. Translate the first half of SDLXLIFF copy #1.
3. Convert back to XLIFF, and upload to XTM
4. Throw away SDLXLIFF copy #1 (you're not going to use it anymore)

5. While the proofreader is busy, translate the second half of SDLXLIFF copy #2 (lock the first half's segments, so that they remain empty, but use the same TM as you used while translating the first half).

6.1 When the proofreader is done, download the newly proofread XLIFF file, create a brand new SDLXLIFF file from it, and lock the first half's segments so that you can't change it.
6.2 Create a new, empty TM, and import the SDLXLIFF copy #2 into it (so that the second half's translations are in the TM). (Optionally also import the brand new SDLXLIFF file into the TM, so that the proofreader's segments are also in the TM).

7. Create a new project that contains the new TM and with the brand new SDLXLIFF file, make sure you locked the first half of the segments, and then pre-translate the second half against the TM.
8. Finish the translation, create the XLIFF, and upload to XTM.

[The reason I don't suggest creating a TM from the proofreader's XLIFF and then pre-translating the first half of the original SDLXLIFF file, is that that would mean any comments that the proofreader left while proofreading will go lost. If you always work on the latest file that you downloaded, then the proofreader's comments will remain intact.]

If I'm not mistaken, when uploading to XTM, there is an option to do something with "changed" segments (so when you upload the second time, see if you can use that).

[Edited at 2019-03-27 10:22 GMT]

Conor Murphy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delivering translation in 2 parts. Can I patch the proof-read XLIFF part onto my 2nd delivery in SDL

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »