Thread poster: Jay Eidson
Jay Eidson
Jay Eidson
United States
Local time: 19:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 3, 2019

Old school translator (pre-computer/Internet era) struggling technically with new to SDL Trados Studio 2019 SR1. It's a EN >SP text, but I can't get spellcheck to pick up typos in SP target while in Editor. Under Project Settings, Verification, I do have all 3 boxes checked. What am I doing wrong? Also, are there standard EN > SP termbases available, and if so how do I access them?

Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Denmark
Local time: 01:43
English to Danish
+ ...
Have you ticked MS Word Spell Checker? Apr 5, 2019

Sorry to ask the obvious, but have you ticked MS Word Spell Checker under:

Editor / Spelling / Active Spell Checker?

[Edited at 2019-04-05 06:36 GMT]

Jay Eidson
Jay Eidson
United States
Local time: 19:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
known spellcheck glitch in Spanish Apr 5, 2019

Gitte, thanks for your reply. Stating the obvious is always a great place to start, especially for an overwhelmed newbie like me. A fellow colleague indicated that there is a know glitch in Spanish, where not all variations (international vs. country x vs. country y) work with spellcheck. I'd initially selected 'Spanish - international', and indeed it doesn't work; but then I switched to 'Spanish - Mexico', and spellcheck does indeed work.

Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Denmark
Local time: 01:43
English to Danish
+ ...
You should tell SDL Apr 5, 2019

That's very useful info.
I sometimes translate out of Spanish into English or Danish, but not the other way round, so I hadn't noticed the problem. I would also have opted for Spanish - International, and it wouldn't have occurred to me to choose one of the other options.

SDL should be able to fix this...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell check while in editor ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »