Cecilia Kresser
Cecilia Kresser
Austria
Local time: 21:02
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 18, 2018

Hello everyone,

until now, I have been working on translation projects on my laptop screen only, but my back and shoulders have decided it is time to get a separate monitor. My laptop is a HP ProBook 450 G2.
Now, I need help, because I don't know at all what to look for, except that it needs to be height adjustable and not too expensive, and I am really grateful for any tips you can give me! Also concerning extra cables etc.

Thank you in advance!
Cecilia

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:02
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
... Feb 18, 2018

My main desktop monitor is 24" 16:9, but I used to work quite well on my backup notebook with a 12" 16:9 screen for a month, untill I earned a new i5-based PC able to handle video editing and more. On a big screen, I use 3/5 of its width for memoQ, the rest is for smaller windows...

2018-02-18_21.04.13

... and a similar arm to hold it and have free space under it:

But my monitor arm is even attached to the wall, so there is no contact with the table at all, and the table is free to keep all other junk on it.

[Редактировалось 2018-02-18 19:10 GMT]

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:02
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Full HD Monitor with IPS Display Feb 18, 2018

Any Full HD monitor with IPS display and a height adjustable stand will do for your laptop. A week ago I bought a 27-inch monitor AOC I2775PQU and I am quite happy with it. It's not very expensive, height adjustable and with an excellent display and functionality.
Any modern monitor is connected to a laptop either with an HDMI cable (preferred) or a VGA cable. Cables needed are usually enclosed in the box with a monitor.

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
... Feb 19, 2018

I understand that you need 22" or more, maybe as much as 29". The most important issue is computer-monitor connection options. Your computer has two interfaces: HDMI and D-Sub (VGA). Any monitor with any of those will do the job. In case your select has no height adjustment, search the net for "monitor mount".

I have a 22" monitor as the primary display for my 15" laptop computer, its display being the secondary monitor. As such configuration excludes using the laptop keyboard, I us
... See more
I understand that you need 22" or more, maybe as much as 29". The most important issue is computer-monitor connection options. Your computer has two interfaces: HDMI and D-Sub (VGA). Any monitor with any of those will do the job. In case your select has no height adjustment, search the net for "monitor mount".

I have a 22" monitor as the primary display for my 15" laptop computer, its display being the secondary monitor. As such configuration excludes using the laptop keyboard, I use a standard wired keyboard and mouse. For me, this combination has been the perfect solution for 9 years.

HTH
Collapse

Cecilia Kresser
Cecilia Kresser
Austria
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great tips! Mar 1, 2018

Thank you to much for these tips!

What brand is your monitor? And how far away would one like to sit from a monitor this wide?
I love the idea of having space under it as well.

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

My main desktop monitor is 24" 16:9, but I used to work quite well on my backup notebook with a 12" 16:9 screen for a month, untill I earned a new i5-based PC able to handle video editing and more. On a big screen, I use 3/5 of its width for memoQ, the rest is for smaller windows...

2018-02-18_21.04.13

... and a similar arm to hold it and have free space under it:

But my monitor arm is even attached to the wall, so there is no contact with the table at all, and the table is free to keep all other junk on it.

[Редактировалось 2018-02-18 19:10 GMT]

Cecilia Kresser
Cecilia Kresser
Austria
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for mentioning a particular model! Mar 1, 2018

Thank you very much for this tip. It sounds like a good option.

Andriy Yasharov wrote:

Any Full HD monitor with IPS display and a height adjustable stand will do for your laptop. A week ago I bought a 27-inch monitor AOC I2775PQU and I am quite happy with it. It's not very expensive, height adjustable and with an excellent display and functionality.
Any modern monitor is connected to a laptop either with an HDMI cable (preferred) or a VGA cable. Cables needed are usually enclosed in the box with a monitor.

Cecilia Kresser
Cecilia Kresser
Austria
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great tips! Mar 1, 2018

Thank you for this very useful information! I am looking at different options, and had ruled out a couple of them as they were not height adjustable. With a monitor mount, they are back in the running.

A separate keyboard is probably a good idea, too.

Andrzej Mierzejewski wrote:

I have a 22" monitor as the primary display for my 15" laptop computer, its display being the secondary monitor. As such configuration excludes using the laptop keyboard, I use a standard wired keyboard and mouse. For me, this combination has been the perfect solution for 9 years.

HTH

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Monitor for an HP laptop and Memoq/Studio

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »