Thread poster: Mark Hemming
Mark Hemming
Mark Hemming  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:55
Slovenian to English
+ ...
Apr 3, 2020

As a linguist, I've always been a little in awe of those that have made it to a high level of fluency in 'harder' languages, and have compiled an article covering experiences of learning Japanese, Mandarin, Arabic and Korean here.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:55
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
About nothing Apr 3, 2020

The article is about nothing. Its summary: in order to learn a language, you have to learn a language. Did you not know that? It looks like the only goal is to advertise Memrise. OK, but there are other options such as Duolingo or Busuu.... See more
The article is about nothing. Its summary: in order to learn a language, you have to learn a language. Did you not know that? It looks like the only goal is to advertise Memrise. OK, but there are other options such as Duolingo or Busuu. Just for the sake of objectivity.Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
The modern way Apr 3, 2020

This is just self-promotion. Advertising. SEO. Advertorial. Whatever. The modern way, I guess.

It would be nice if it could contain a morsel of useful information.

And anyway, if Chinese is that hard, how come so many people can speak it?

Dan Lucas
Joe France
esperantisto
Angus Stewart
Philip Lees

Lauren Higgins
Lauren Higgins
United States
Local time: 21:55
Chinese to English
"Difficult" languages Apr 3, 2020

And anyway, if Chinese is that hard, how come so many people can speak it?

Love this. As an ESL teacher, I was always fascinated by the question of whether it's harder for monolingual Chinese students to learn English or monolingual English students to learn Chinese. If you have any thoughts on this (or the same thing in your own working languages), please share!

Language difficulty really is a matter of perspective. Even ranking the difficulty of different languages for a native English speaker is tricky (usually based on average number of study hours it takes to reach a certain degree of proficiency, from what I've seen). I studied Russian alongside Chinese in college and when people find this out, they often ask me which one is harder. The truth is that they both have aspects that can cause major headaches for English-speaking students. What is fairly simple in one may be frustratingly complicated in the other.

Many students of English worldwide don't get near as much credit as they should for their achievements, particularly if they are native speakers of the languages in this article. Always been a sore spot for me.

Anyways, interesting topic, would probably make a great discussion post on its own!

Christopher Schröder
Tea Komšić
P.L.F. Persio

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Different alphabets Apr 4, 2020

I wonder if Polish or Czech are easier for Western Europeans than Russian or Bulgarian because of the alphabet. I studied Russian 6 years but still found my reading much slower than in Latin-scripting languages.

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:55
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Polish vs Russian Apr 4, 2020

Hi Heinrich,

I'm Italian and I've studied both Russian and Polish. In my experience, although Polish uses the Latin alphabet, phonetically its sounds are harder to pronounce, writing is more difficult, and even its grammar is more difficult than Russian, and that's saying something.

Having said that, you're a native German-speaker who translates from Finnish, thus you know a thing or two about difficult languages.
As much as I love German, and sometimes I translat
... See more
Hi Heinrich,

I'm Italian and I've studied both Russian and Polish. In my experience, although Polish uses the Latin alphabet, phonetically its sounds are harder to pronounce, writing is more difficult, and even its grammar is more difficult than Russian, and that's saying something.

Having said that, you're a native German-speaker who translates from Finnish, thus you know a thing or two about difficult languages.
As much as I love German, and sometimes I translate from it, I can't get my head around the fact that in sentences like I want to eat an appel, Germans say Ich will einen Apfel essen, and that's an easy one.

Whenever I try to speak German, or its close relative Dutch – since I live in the Netherlands – I feel the urgent need to say all my verbs straight away, which puzzles people. So I keep schtum, following the motto: Even a fool is thought wise if she keeps silent, and discerning if she holds her tongue.

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I wonder if Polish or Czech are easier for Western Europeans than Russian or Bulgarian because of the alphabet. I studied Russian 6 years but still found my reading much slower than in Latin-scripting languages.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tricky languages and how to learn them

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »