Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:28
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 11, 2021

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has tried out the SDL Trados Studio 2021 version on a Mac yet? I recently started looking for a laptop upgrade and have been a bit bewildered by the choices. After spotting that the newest version of Studio is now technically cross-platform compatible with the browser versions, I started seriously considering the Macbook Air, given the rave reviews online.

What are people's experiences of the browser version of the software? Does it ha
... See more
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has tried out the SDL Trados Studio 2021 version on a Mac yet? I recently started looking for a laptop upgrade and have been a bit bewildered by the choices. After spotting that the newest version of Studio is now technically cross-platform compatible with the browser versions, I started seriously considering the Macbook Air, given the rave reviews online.

What are people's experiences of the browser version of the software? Does it have the full functionality (including apps such as Web Lookup etc)? Are there any draw-backs or limitations to it? Can you easily upload large TMs (e.g. the DGT ones which are gigs in size) and TBs to the cloud?

Are there any specific Mac-related issues that would affect the decision to hope over from the Windows platform to iOS? I am aware that the new M1 chip on the Mac doesn't support bootcamp and some apps may not yet be fully compatible with the Apple silicon, so if I did this, I'd be putting myself at the mercy of the SDL cloud (or have to go back to my old laptop which seems a bit self-defeating).

Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions before committing to anything.

Huw
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 19:28
French to Italian
+ ...
Short answer: NO Mar 11, 2021

I don't know the details but it doesn't have all the functions, I've heard that you can't create projects online. I'm waiting for users to reply as I am interested as well.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Studio 2021 Desktop works fine with Parallels Mar 11, 2021

Slightly OT: I use Studio 2021 Desktop with the emulator software Parallels 16.1.3 on MacOSX 10.15.7, 16-inch MacBook Pro 2019. Some minor glitches with shortcuts, but a very smooth experience so far. This setup is also fast, I was impressed.

Judging from the Windows version and general stability and error message issues SDL Trados is very unlikely to be turned into a good Mac application, whether standalone or as a Web app.

The quality control on Apple App Store is ri
... See more
Slightly OT: I use Studio 2021 Desktop with the emulator software Parallels 16.1.3 on MacOSX 10.15.7, 16-inch MacBook Pro 2019. Some minor glitches with shortcuts, but a very smooth experience so far. This setup is also fast, I was impressed.

Judging from the Windows version and general stability and error message issues SDL Trados is very unlikely to be turned into a good Mac application, whether standalone or as a Web app.

The quality control on Apple App Store is rigorous and detailed (I speak from experience). Trados as we know it has no chance of passing IMO - the polish and stability isn't there.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-03-11 17:41 GMT]
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Katarina Dusikova

Huw Watkins
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
M1 seems to be an issue with this solution Mar 11, 2021

Joakim Braun wrote:

The quality control on Apple App Store is rigorous and detailed (I speak from experience). Trados as we know it has no chance of passing IMO - the polish and stability isn't there.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-03-11 17:41 GMT]

I read online that the new M1 chip does support Parallels but you can't get a copy of Windows to run on it unless you are an OEM in the Windows Insider program. It does seem that this new silicon is epic for apple use and very unforgiving if you want to do anything that approaches Windows architecture. It's really putting me off pulling the trigger on this.

[Edited at 2021-03-11 18:14 GMT]

Huw Watkins
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados Studio 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Elena Feriani wrote:

I don't know the details but it doesn't have all the functions, I've heard that you can't create projects online. I'm waiting for users to reply as I am interested as well.

I neglected to mention that I actually bought the upgrade earlier this week, but have just been too busy to install and test it. I may have a go at setting it up this weekend. I'll let you know how I get on if I do!

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
M1 Mar 11, 2021

Huw Watkins wrote:

I read online that the new M1 chip does support Parallels but you can't get a copy of Windows to run on it unless you are an OEM in the Windows Insider program.

This sounds optimistic though: https://www.parallels.com/blogs/parallels-desktop-apple-silicon-mac/

Huw Watkins

Huw Watkins
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It really does! Mar 11, 2021

Joakim Braun wrote:

Huw Watkins wrote:

I read online that the new M1 chip does support Parallels but you can't get a copy of Windows to run on it unless you are an OEM in the Windows Insider program.

This sounds optimistic though: https://www.parallels.com/blogs/parallels-desktop-apple-silicon-mac/

The question remains on whether windows will be made available to the wider public though (one has to assume it will be eventually - the Insider Program must be for developers I suppose). It may be a case of wait and see

[Edited at 2021-03-11 20:21 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac and Studio 2021 browser client - looking for experiences

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »