How do you remove a whole project from a TM?
Thread poster: Bauduina
Bauduina
Bauduina
Belgium
Aug 28, 2017

Hello,

I am currently using Wordfast Pro 5, and I wonder if it is possible to remove all segments of a project from the TM.

Thank you for your answers!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Bauduina Aug 28, 2017

Bauduina wrote:
I am currently using Wordfast Pro 5, and I wonder if it is possible to remove all segments of a project from the TM.

I'm not familiar with the capabilities of WFP5, but if you could figure out at what times you had worked on that project, could you delete the entries from the TM using a date/time search?

Alternatively (and again I'm not sure what WFP5 is capable of), replace all target texts in the project with e.g. "XXX", and then update the TM, and then delete all units that has "XXX" as the target text. This method assumes that the TM does not contain duplicates and that updating the TM with segments containing "XXX" will overwrite all identical units in the TM. Changing all target texts to "XXX" could be done via DOC export (Bilingual Review) (if WFP5 has such a feature).

Bauduina
Bauduina
Belgium
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Aug 29, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

Bauduina wrote:

I'm not familiar with the capabilities of WFP5, but if you could figure out at what times you had worked on that project, could you delete the entries from the TM using a date/time search?

Alternatively (and again I'm not sure what WFP5 is capable of), replace all target texts in the project with e.g. "XXX", and then update the TM, and then delete all units that has "XXX" as the target text. This method assumes that the TM does not contain duplicates and that updating the TM with segments containing "XXX" will overwrite all identical units in the TM. Changing all target texts to "XXX" could be done via DOC export (Bilingual Review) (if WFP5 has such a feature).

Hi Samuel,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Maybe it is possible to do that, but it looks like I would need to do it one segment at a time, and we're talking about a couple of projects that have over 1.000 segments. It would take a lot of time.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bilingual review Aug 29, 2017

If you do this in Word from a bilingual review, and if there's a way to use "wildcards," maybe you could do a search and replace for all the target segments with the XXX. For instance, replace ***. with XXX. The asterisks being the wildcards to select the whole segment. Would this work?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Bauduina Aug 30, 2017

Bauduina wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
1. ...could you delete the entries from the TM using a date/time search?
2. [or:] ... replace all target texts in the project with e.g. "XXX", and then update the TM, and then delete all units that has "XXX" as the target text.

Maybe it is possible to do that, but it looks like I would need to do it one segment at a time, and we're talking about a couple of projects that have over 1.000 segments. It would take a lot of time.

Well, previous versions of WFC and WFP use a TXT file as the TM (perhaps WFP5 does too). If so, then you can open that file in MS Word, select all text, convert to table using "tab" as a delimiter", and sort by column. If you use my XXX suggestion, sort by the target text column. If you use the date/time suggestion, sort by the date/time column. Remember not to include the top line of the TM in the sort operation. No need to re-sort the file after you've deleted the relevant segments -- simply convert the table back to text with "tab" as the delimiter, and save it as a Unicode TXT file again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you remove a whole project from a TM?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »