Wordfast 5.1 - Using same TM for EN-GB and EN-US projects
Thread poster: momolja (X)
momolja (X)
momolja (X)
United Kingdom
Sep 7, 2017

I've just started using WfPro 5.1 (moving straight from 3.4.1).

I translate into English, and projects vary between requiring UK or US English. I need to be able to use the same TM for either, and this wasn't a problem with Wf 3.

If I now try to use my TM (set to EN-GB as target language) for an EN-US project in Wf 5.1 I get a complaint and the TM is disabled.

Anyone have the same problem? Am I missing something obvious here, or is there a workaround if
... See more
I've just started using WfPro 5.1 (moving straight from 3.4.1).

I translate into English, and projects vary between requiring UK or US English. I need to be able to use the same TM for either, and this wasn't a problem with Wf 3.

If I now try to use my TM (set to EN-GB as target language) for an EN-US project in Wf 5.1 I get a complaint and the TM is disabled.

Anyone have the same problem? Am I missing something obvious here, or is there a workaround if not?
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:41
English to French
+ ...
Just EN Sep 7, 2017

Have you tried changing the TM target language to plain-vanilla EN?

Or, duplicate your TM into an EN-US TM, and then use both of them for each job?

Then again, doing so will make spell-checking unreliable.

momolja (X)
momolja (X)
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Solved as below Sep 12, 2017

JL01 wrote:

Have you tried changing the TM target language to plain-vanilla EN?

Or, duplicate your TM into an EN-US TM, and then use both of them for each job?

Then again, doing so will make spell-checking unreliable.

This was the advice from Wordfast:
"In your case one solution would be to export the TM as TMX and then Find/Replace EN-GB locale with EN locale, then import the TM back to WF as EN locale TM inside EN-GB and EN-US target language projects. This way your TM is always EN and can be used in any country variant locale project like EN-US/EN-GB. This way your spellchecker is fine for the project."

I did that (export the TM to tmx format, open with text editor, replace EN-GB and EN-US with EN, save) and tried to import this back into Wordfast. At that point I got an error message about the header of the TM but I was able to resolve that using the WfClassic data editor (as per Wordfast Help page on error messages). I was then able to import this "plain vanilla" TM. The only other thing I had to make sure of was the project as such didn't already specify UK or US English as target but was just set for English.

Hopefully this should work now; I'll update on here if not.

Elene P.

Elene P.
Elene P.  Identity Verified
Georgia
Member (2007)
English to Georgian
+ ...
THANK YOU Jun 15, 2021

Thank you!!!! That worked Great relief

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 5.1 - Using same TM for EN-GB and EN-US projects

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »