Thread poster: Morgane Le Cleuyou
Morgane Le Cleuyou
Morgane Le Cleuyou
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:59
English to French
Oct 7, 2017

Hello ProZ!

I need a bit of help, google proved to be useless on this matter.

I have a rather large translation and 400 of the segments are product names which don't need to be translated0
I have used the 'copy source' shortcut for the first 50 of them and my right hand is getting tired (I am trying to take care of them and avoid RSI!), I then tried to see if I could just select the concerned segments to do a one off 'copy source' but it doesn't work.

... See more
Hello ProZ!

I need a bit of help, google proved to be useless on this matter.

I have a rather large translation and 400 of the segments are product names which don't need to be translated0
I have used the 'copy source' shortcut for the first 50 of them and my right hand is getting tired (I am trying to take care of them and avoid RSI!), I then tried to see if I could just select the concerned segments to do a one off 'copy source' but it doesn't work.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do that?

Many many thanks in advance
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Segment selection Oct 9, 2017

I've also wished we could select several segments at once but am afraid this isn't possible just yet.

I suggest copying all sources (button up the top) and editing the segments that need translation.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:59
Member (2016)
English to German
same here Oct 9, 2017

My current document contains 1700 segments where I need to "copy source" (timecodes of a subtitle file -- the client wants me to work from a MS Word doc)...
Wordfast is not apt for this job, so I'm using another CAT.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Which product, which version? Oct 9, 2017

Morgane Le Cleuyou wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a way to do that?

The Wordfast company has several products and several versions of those products. Which product and which version does your question pertain to?

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Skip or use filter bar with WFP5 Oct 9, 2017

If you skip the segment (leave the target empty), the source will automatically be copied to target in the final target file. This has the added advantage of not filling your TM with same source and target.

Otherwise, you could use the filter bar to filter out short segments, then copy all sources to target, or even better but probably more complicated, write a regex search to filter out your product name segments (for example, find segments with capitalized words in the middle, or
... See more
If you skip the segment (leave the target empty), the source will automatically be copied to target in the final target file. This has the added advantage of not filling your TM with same source and target.

Otherwise, you could use the filter bar to filter out short segments, then copy all sources to target, or even better but probably more complicated, write a regex search to filter out your product name segments (for example, find segments with capitalized words in the middle, or containing certain names, etc.).

Best,
John
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Copy source on no match Oct 9, 2017

You could also change the default behavior of WF to copy source on no match, under Current Project Preferences > Translation Memory.

Best,

John

Morgane Le Cleuyou
Morgane Le Cleuyou
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:59
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 10, 2017

Thanks all of you for your input

I should have mentioned that I am using Wordfast Pro on a txml delivered as is so no option to export the final document.

I ended up using the insert source keyboard shorcut on the 400 segments that did not need translation as I had already translated segments above and below those so a copy source to target for the whole document was not suitable at that stage.
... See more

I should have mentioned that I am using Wordfast Pro on a txml delivered as is so no option to export the final document.

I ended up using the insert source keyboard shorcut on the 400 segments that did not need translation as I had already translated segments above and below those so a copy source to target for the whole document was not suitable at that stage.

Needless to say my hands were hurting! Shame Wordfast Pro doesn't have this option, it would make life so much easier !
Collapse

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 05:59
Wordfast Pro 5 Filter segments Oct 10, 2017

I assume you are on WFP 5, you could solve this using filters in Editor by searching for the exact text. Once segments are filtered copy all sources and then clear filter for unfiltered segments.

Thank you,

John

Morgane Le Cleuyou wrote:

Needless to say my hands were hurting! Shame Wordfast Pro doesn't have this option, it would make life so much easier !

Jeff Chapman
Jeff Chapman  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:59
Japanese to English
+ ...
Copy source in several segments at the same time Sep 27, 2018

I realize this is an "older" thread, but I was surprised to read that "Copy All Sources" only affects the segments that match the filtered text (in other words, the filtered segments that are displayed) rather than the entire document (at least in WF Pro 5). That might be useful for automatically copying or transferring a large number of segments that only match certain criteria.

Jeff

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy source in several segments at the same time

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »