Iuliana Bozkurt  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 16:22
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Jan 3, 2019

Hello,

for some of us (including the undersigned), this new year starts with some funny challenges.

I am having an issue with my local TM versus my client's TM. This client of mine has their own TM and, when they send me files to translate, they calculate exact matches and fuzzy matches based on their TM. Now, when I translate, I also have my own local TM, which I use in parallel with theirs. The problem arises when, at the end, they want to pay me less because, due to
... See more
Hello,

for some of us (including the undersigned), this new year starts with some funny challenges.

I am having an issue with my local TM versus my client's TM. This client of mine has their own TM and, when they send me files to translate, they calculate exact matches and fuzzy matches based on their TM. Now, when I translate, I also have my own local TM, which I use in parallel with theirs. The problem arises when, at the end, they want to pay me less because, due to my local TM, the no match percentage is lower and the fuzzy is higher. My question is: how can I continue using and updating my local TM, without affecting the initial analysis made by the client? I really want to keep on using my local TM, as I have valuable terminology in it, but without having these issues with my client. In other words, how can I use my local TM without affecting in any way the leverage? And without the client seeing that I am using it (and making outrageous claims based on that)? I am in a very unpleasant situation and I have no idea how to solve it. Thanks in advance for your input!

Meanwhile, I wish you a wonderful, hassle-free year 2019!
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:22
English to French
+ ...
Concordance Jan 3, 2019

Use your own TM for concordance only. Even though this is a bit more time-consuming, it is entirely invisible for outsiders. If necessary, you can then apply the final step of the procedure below to update your own TM after delivery.

Or, slightly more time-consuming: translate the document using both TMs, with both TMs set to read-only. Then, remove your own TM from the project, deselect "Read Only" from the customer's TM, and open the source document in a new tab. Then, re-translat
... See more
Use your own TM for concordance only. Even though this is a bit more time-consuming, it is entirely invisible for outsiders. If necessary, you can then apply the final step of the procedure below to update your own TM after delivery.

Or, slightly more time-consuming: translate the document using both TMs, with both TMs set to read-only. Then, remove your own TM from the project, deselect "Read Only" from the customer's TM, and open the source document in a new tab. Then, re-translate the document from scratch, copying and pasting, segment to segment, from the previously-translated document in the other tab.
When you are finished, save the second translated document, and send it to your customer. It should show only the matches from their own TM. in the meantime, add your own TM as "Non Read Only" to the final document, commit everything, and Bob's your uncle.

Note: The above procedure assumes Wordfast Pro; the procedure for WfC would be slightly different
Collapse

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:22
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
Using local TM Jan 3, 2019

Hi,

I'm not very familiar with Wordfast since I personally use Trados Studio, but can't you just remove your local TM from the file you deliver to your client? This is possible with Studio.

In any case, it doesn't seem reasonable that your client revises the payment after you have, I assume, agreed on a price for the job before accepting it. I certainly would not accept this from a client.

I hope that you find an acceptable solution to your problem.
<
... See more
Hi,

I'm not very familiar with Wordfast since I personally use Trados Studio, but can't you just remove your local TM from the file you deliver to your client? This is possible with Studio.

In any case, it doesn't seem reasonable that your client revises the payment after you have, I assume, agreed on a price for the job before accepting it. I certainly would not accept this from a client.

I hope that you find an acceptable solution to your problem.

Happy New Year!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
External review Jan 3, 2019

Iuliana Bozkurt wrote:
I am having an issue with my local TM versus my client's TM.

If you export to external review, and then import later, it doesn't affect the match percentages. So what you could do is pretranslate against the client's TM, then export for bilingual review (a DOC file), then translate the DOC file, and then at the end import the external review into the original file again.

I'm assuming you're using WFP installed on your own computer, and you're just connecting to the client's TM (as opposed to using an online version of Wordfast Pro).

[Edited at 2019-01-03 21:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Leverage issue

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »