Wordfast Pro 5.8 - Why doesn't UK spellchecker work?
Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2019

Quite surprised that being in the UK, with Microsoft Office spell-checker enabled and having been happily using Microsoft Word with English spelling for years, Wordfast Pro is highlighting words like COLOUR but not words like COLOR... Surely, this is pretty basic stuff...?
Any thoughts please?
Thanks!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:00
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Language code of your project Jan 25, 2019

Comunican wrote:
Quite surprised that being in the UK ... Wordfast Pro is highlighting words like COLOUR but not words like COLOR... Surely, this is pretty basic stuff...?

If I'm not mistaken, Wordfast Pro 5 decides on the spell-checking language based on the target language of the project, and not based on the language preferences of the computer that it is installed on. This allows WFP5 to spell-check in a language different from the one that is the operating system's default language. I suspect that if you want to spell-check in UK English, then your project's target language has to be UK English. So... is your project's target language UK English (i.e. EN-GB)?

neilmac
P.L.F. Persio

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - that might explain it Jan 26, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, Wordfast Pro 5 decides on the spell-checking language based on the target language of the project, and not based on the language preferences of the computer that it is installed on. This allows WFP5 to spell-check in a language different from the one that is the operating system's default language. I suspect that if you want to spell-check in UK English, then your project's target language has to be UK English. So... is your project's target language UK English (i.e. EN-GB)?

Ah, thanks, that explains it because this document is a two-column TXML file that I can't open directly, but the two languages are ES and EN, and I guess EN would default to EN-US. I just tried a normal Word file and the spell-checker is fine. That's a relief because it would have been quite a big failing if it hadn't worked. Despite the teething troubles, I'm pretty impressed with Wordfast Pro 5.8 so far.
Thanks very much for your help.

[Edited at 2019-01-26 13:23 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 5.8 - Why doesn't UK spellchecker work?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »