WORDFAST ANALYZE REPORT
Thread poster: Anna Villa
Anna Villa
Anna Villa  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:04
English to Italian
Feb 24, 2019

Good morning, I need an explanation of some of the elements listed in the Analyze Report like, LEVERAGED and CONTEXT, what they mean, not literally of course. I have to invoice to my client but, I'm not able to calculate the price to apply to these two elements. Thanks and regards, Anna

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Anna Feb 24, 2019

anna villa wrote:
I need an explanation of some of the elements listed in the Analyze Report...

Can you please tell us which version of Wordfast you're using, Anna?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Analyse this Feb 24, 2019

I don't really know how other translators operate, but when invoicing my clients, I simply bill them for the overall task of translation. I wouldn't know where to begin if I tried to break down all the little specific aspects (context????) that go into the job.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WFP5, it seems Feb 24, 2019

neilmac wrote:
I don't really know how other translators operate, but when invoicing my clients, I simply bill them for the overall task of translation.

Same, except that I sometimes do break it up into new, fuzzy, 100% and repetitions. If a client wants a finer breakdown than that, and they're prepared to do the calculation for me, then that's fine as well.

I wouldn't know where to begin if I tried to break down all the little specific aspects (context????) that go into the job.

I think Anna is referring to WFP5's word count feature:
https://www.wordfast.com/WFP/5.3/t1602976.html

You can see an example of the word count here:

It would seem that "leveraged" is the number of words that had fuzzy or exact matches, and "context" is the number of words in ICE a.k.a. 101% a.k.a. in-context exact matched segments.

Anna, my suggestion is: ignore the "leveraged" row completely, and consider the "context" row and the "100%" row to be the same class (i.e., add the "context" count to the "100%" count). While you're at it, consider the "50%-74%" row and the "no match" rows to be of the same class as well (i.e. add the "50%-75%" count to the "no match" count).

Did your client tell you how much you should charge for new, fuzzy, 100% and repetitions? Or, did you offer your client a discount for fuzzy matching?

Anna Villa

Anna Villa
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
WFP5's word count feature Feb 25, 2019

It would seem that "leveraged" is the number of words that had fuzzy or exact matches, and "context" is the number of words in ICE a.k.a. 101% a.k.a. in-context exact matched segments.

Anna, my suggestion is: ignore the "leveraged" row completely, and consider the "context" row and the "100%" row to be the same class (i.e., add the "context" count to the "100%" count). While you're at it, consider the "50%-74%" row and the "no match" rows to be of the same class as well (i.e. add th
... See more

Anna, my suggestion is: ignore the "leveraged" row completely, and consider the "context" row and the "100%" row to be the same class (i.e., add the "context" count to the "100%" count). While you're at it, consider the "50%-74%" row and the "no match" rows to be of the same class as well (i.e. add the "50%-75%" count to the "no match" count).

Did your client tell you how much you should charge for new, fuzzy, 100% and repetitions? Or, did you offer your client a discount for fuzzy matching?

Hi Samuel!
thank you very much for your prompt reply! Your explanation is very clear except "ICE a.k.a. 101% a.k.a. in-context exact matched segments. What do the acronynims mean exactly?

They have asked me to charge for: repetition and fuzzy matches.
Collapse

Anna Villa
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast support team reply Feb 25, 2019

This comes from WF support team:

Dear Anna,

"Leveraged" refers to any segment for which there is a match in the TM, whether it’s a context match, an exact match or a fuzzy match).

"Repetition" refers to any segment that occurs more than once in the document(s) being analysed.

A "context" match is a segment that occurs in the same context (previous and next segments are the same) as when translated previously (and now stored in the TM).
... See more
This comes from WF support team:

Dear Anna,

"Leveraged" refers to any segment for which there is a match in the TM, whether it’s a context match, an exact match or a fuzzy match).

"Repetition" refers to any segment that occurs more than once in the document(s) being analysed.

A "context" match is a segment that occurs in the same context (previous and next segments are the same) as when translated previously (and now stored in the TM).

An "exact" (100%) match is a segment that is identical to one found in the TM, but not in the same context.

Fuzzy matches are broken down in three catégories: 99-95, 85-94 and 75-84. The "fuzzy threshold" (by default, 75%) can be changed by you under Preferences.

When pricing, you need to consider the time saving that will result from the above categories. You will get a feeling by translating this particular document and making mental notes of the time it takes to validate context and exact matches, as well as "fixing" the various types of fuzzy matches. Ask experienced colleagues how they price such jobs, based on the analysis report. All translation tools (Trados, memoQ etc.) have such a feature, so you don’t necessarily need to ask Wordfast users.

You may want to join our user group on Facebook (see link in my signature) and ask there.

[Modificato alle 2019-02-25 09:51 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Anna Feb 25, 2019

anna villa wrote:
Samuel wrote:

Your explanation is very clear except "ICE a.k.a. 101% a.k.a. in-context exact matched segments". What do the acronyms mean exactly?

a.k.a. = also known as
ICE = this is an abbreviation used by some CAT tools for "in-context" matches. I think "ICE" means "in context exact", but it basically means a 100% match for which a certain number of preceding and following segments are identical to the preceding and following segments of the original document.

Did they say what you should do with 100% matches? Do they want you to treat 100% matches as repetitions or as fuzzy matches?

Anna Villa
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast support team reply Feb 25, 2019

Did they say what you should do with 100% matches? Do they want you to treat 100% matches as repetitions or as fuzzy matches?
[/quote]
Good question. No, they only indicated the two elements "repetition and fuzzy". Samuel, following the email reply from WF support team. What do you think? Thanks

Dear Anna,

An "exact" (100%) match is a segment that is identical to one found in the TM, but not in the same context.

Fuzzy matches are broken down in three catégories: 99-95, 85-94 and 75-84. The "fuzzy threshold" (by default, 75%) can be changed by you under Preferences.

When pricing, you need to consider the time saving that will result from the above categories. You will get a feeling by translating this particular document and making mental notes of the time it takes to validate context and exact matches, as well as "fixing" the various types of fuzzy matches. Ask experienced colleagues how they price such jobs, based on the analysis report. All translation tools (Trados, memoQ etc.) have such a feature, so you don’t necessarily need to ask Wordfast users.

You may want to join our user group on Facebook (see link in my signature) and ask there.

Best regards,

Dominique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WORDFAST ANALYZE REPORT

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »