XTM Translation tool
Thread poster: Ed Karten
LINHARES
LINHARES  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:42
English to Portuguese
Great software! Dec 15, 2014

XTM is an excellent Cat tool software! I have been using it for almost one year and I love it. It has great features and makes the translator's job much easier!!! Its interface is very friendly-user (which Trados certainly is not). To me, the best Cat tool!!!

[Edited at 2014-12-15 01:36 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I had some problems with XTM in the past but not now Feb 2, 2015

I used XTM Cloud years ago but because of all the shortcomings mentioned by the other colleagues, I had to give it up, with 2 large clients lost.

1. You cannot copy and paste from the source to the target. If some words must be kept in English, you have to retype them in the target column. That is very annoying.

2. Cut and paste within the target column is also a pain. It is very slow.

3. The translation of the repeated sentences don't come up automatically
... See more
I used XTM Cloud years ago but because of all the shortcomings mentioned by the other colleagues, I had to give it up, with 2 large clients lost.

1. You cannot copy and paste from the source to the target. If some words must be kept in English, you have to retype them in the target column. That is very annoying.

2. Cut and paste within the target column is also a pain. It is very slow.

3. The translation of the repeated sentences don't come up automatically. There could be different translations for a repeated sentence and you have to review them and decide which one to use. This is a function that is not very fair to the translator. While the agency has deducted a lot of money for the repeated sentences, the translator sometimes have to spend more time on repetitions.

I wonder if these issues have been resolved on the newer versions.
Collapse

Re: I had some problems with XTM in the past but not now Feb 5, 2015

Dear LINHARES and jyuan_us,

Thank you for your comments.

Regarding the issues raised by jyuan_us: as you can see from LINHARES' comment, we have been very, very hard at work over the past 6 years, constantly improving XTM. I suggest that we have a one to one online webinar with you to show you how all of these issues you mentioned have been addressed long ago. Please contact Grant Blackburn to arrange a best time to do this with you.

Best Regards,
... See more
Dear LINHARES and jyuan_us,

Thank you for your comments.

Regarding the issues raised by jyuan_us: as you can see from LINHARES' comment, we have been very, very hard at work over the past 6 years, constantly improving XTM. I suggest that we have a one to one online webinar with you to show you how all of these issues you mentioned have been addressed long ago. Please contact Grant Blackburn to arrange a best time to do this with you.

Best Regards,

A.Zydroń CTO XTM International
Collapse

LINHARES
LINHARES  Identity Verified
United States
English to Portuguese
Great software Mar 9, 2015

It is a great software. I have worked with it for two years now and I have nothing to complain about. I would suggest this Cat tool to any translator. It is very user-friendly and I always have peace of mind knowing that my work is being automatically saved as I type. The built-in spell check works fine and it is always there to remind me of possible orthographical mistakes/errors and other oversights. The price is also very fair, since I don't have to pay for new version upgrades/updates and ma... See more
It is a great software. I have worked with it for two years now and I have nothing to complain about. I would suggest this Cat tool to any translator. It is very user-friendly and I always have peace of mind knowing that my work is being automatically saved as I type. The built-in spell check works fine and it is always there to remind me of possible orthographical mistakes/errors and other oversights. The price is also very fair, since I don't have to pay for new version upgrades/updates and maintenance. I still wonder why people choose to use Trados, paying so much for features that are not really necessary and bothersome. I give five stars***** to this Cat tool.

Elias Seidel
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
ORSZAGH Technologies Ltd
ORSZAGH Technologies Ltd
Cyprus
Local time: 09:42
Czech to Slovak
+ ...
edited Apr 15, 2015

please delete, double post

[Edited at 2015-04-15 14:57 GMT]

Frank Jensen
Frank Jensen  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:42
English to Danish
+ ...
XTM dreary, slow, and inefficient Jun 28, 2018

I have read all the defenses from the producers of XTM - and frankly they have to make them - but it will never conceal the fact that the tool is excruciatingly inefficient compared to professional tools like SDL Studio that actually trusts the translator to make the necessary adjustments and work on ALL files and ALL strings in the same window without any delays ... For a true professional translator the degree of control over the files is very important for quality. For lack of trust and opt... See more
I have read all the defenses from the producers of XTM - and frankly they have to make them - but it will never conceal the fact that the tool is excruciatingly inefficient compared to professional tools like SDL Studio that actually trusts the translator to make the necessary adjustments and work on ALL files and ALL strings in the same window without any delays ... For a true professional translator the degree of control over the files is very important for quality. For lack of trust and optimum PM control - and working with less trusted suppliers - then XTM may be an option.

I am sorry XTM, but from a translator that have worked for 18 years with virtually all translation tools out there, and who works regularly with SDL Studio 2017, Transit NXT, Passolo, Smartling, Memsource, MemoQ, TWS, and others... there is only one program I find worse in terms of low productivity than XTM - and that is Across...

You have a very long way to go ...

Frank Jensen
Collapse

Alessandra Muzzi
Carla Griecco
Susanna Talia
Sanja_FR
Teresa Finn

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

XTM Translation tool

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »