Thread poster: Varsha Pendse-Joshi
Varsha Pendse-Joshi
Varsha Pendse-Joshi  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2009

Hello all,

I would like to know the most preferred tool used counting words in the final product. (Translated document)
I have used one, but i didn't like it much.
I want a tool which will give me a count of words and will exclude numerical figures and other sign and symbols for which client does not pay...

Would like to know the tool you use and are satisfied with it

Thanks!

Yasushi Toyama
Yasushi Toyama
Local time: 07:45
Japanese to English
How about Jcount Jun 9, 2009

Hi!

I got Jcount counter from my client.

access below, and try!

http://bgworks.info/jcount/

Note: The software interface is Japanese!

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 07:45
English to Japanese
+ ...
Trados count doesn't fit you? Jun 9, 2009

Ame0714 wrote:

Hello all,

I would like to know the most preferred tool used counting words in the final product. (Translated document)
I have used one, but i didn't like it much.
I want a tool which will give me a count of words and will exclude numerical figures and other sign and symbols for which client does not pay...

Would like to know the tool you use and are satisfied with it

Thanks!

As apparent, we conventionally use Trados to count source words, but I guess it still works to count target words. Doesn't it fit you in any sense?

Varsha Pendse-Joshi
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but would like more suggestions Jun 9, 2009

Toyama san, thanks for the link. ll try
mulberryvalley san, thanks for the reply. I do not use Trados much.

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Why exclude numerical figures and other signs? Jun 10, 2009

I do include them in the word count, so do the Japanese and foreign agencies and clients I work with, I think everyone does so...or should.
For a very simple reason. Because you have the numerical figures 10 in a text doesn't mean it's gonna mean 10 in the end. Followed by 万 it would mean 10 000, followed by 億 it could mean 1 000 000 000, just to give an example.
For other signs, it would be nonsense not to charge for them in any other language : I once heard of a translater who
... See more
I do include them in the word count, so do the Japanese and foreign agencies and clients I work with, I think everyone does so...or should.
For a very simple reason. Because you have the numerical figures 10 in a text doesn't mean it's gonna mean 10 in the end. Followed by 万 it would mean 10 000, followed by 億 it could mean 1 000 000 000, just to give an example.
For other signs, it would be nonsense not to charge for them in any other language : I once heard of a translater who delivered a text without any commas or points or other signs because the client refused to pay for it. The text was almost impossible to read.
This may not be a true story, but it makes sense, doesn't it?

So do yourself a favour, and get paid for the work you do !
Collapse

Varsha Pendse-Joshi
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 10, 2009

Dear France-Japon,

You have raised a valid point.
I do agree with you completely. So far I have been paid for numbers/signs/symbols except a client for whom i worked for the first time. (Incidentally, this client even did not want to pay for repeated words, but I am very strict about getting paid for it, so I made him pay) but he did not at all agree to pay for numbers etc. The only reason I did that job was that the job was quiet interesting for me. However I won't work for h
... See more
Dear France-Japon,

You have raised a valid point.
I do agree with you completely. So far I have been paid for numbers/signs/symbols except a client for whom i worked for the first time. (Incidentally, this client even did not want to pay for repeated words, but I am very strict about getting paid for it, so I made him pay) but he did not at all agree to pay for numbers etc. The only reason I did that job was that the job was quiet interesting for me. However I won't work for him again if conditions remain unchanged.

Anyways, thanks for the reply
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word counter - suggestions needed

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »